Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

**Help!** Has anybody changed freehub body on Gipiemme 935 5-spoke wheel?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-22, 08:20 AM
Lattz

Bikes: 80s Alan Super Record, 79' Somec Special, 90s Rossin(?) Columbus Ego Triathlon, previously: Bianchi SBX Reparto Corse (stolen) and so on...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 812 Times in 602 Posts

Hi! A friend of mine is getting close to finish his precious roadie build and pictured GPM 935 should be the crown jewel of it.

After explaning, that it wont work off the shelf with the 10sp Record titanium we thought, let's see if the Campy FHB fits, although we know, that it
most likely won't snice Campy changed axle diameter sometime along going from 8sp to 9.
After LBS took it apart, it became obvious, that even before meeting the axle diameter issue, a bigger problem holds up the "theres nothing to try here" sign, as the new FHB is the 3 pawl system, and the old Shimano is not.

Shat we have:

How it looks like on the wheel.

Above pic is something what the shops call here a Shimano 8/9/10/11 FWB for FH-C201 / FH-M475 and I have seen videos both from RJ The bike guy and local Germans as well to upgrade 7sp to more, my queston would be if anybody did such so far on the exact wheel in question?
PLUS:
would a 10 speed Shimano HG be usable with the 2000' Campy Record Titanium (the black one with carbon RD plate like below) with or without further modifications/different spacers?

Any inputs are greatly appreciated, and for sure if more info needed, I try to provide it.

Thanks!
Lattz
Old 12-15-22, 09:22 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1452 Post(s)
Liked 2,195 Times in 962 Posts
To my eye, the original Shimano freehub looks to be the Shimano UG/HG hybrid variety. Is the ODO spacing 130mm (for 8, 9, or 10-speed) or 126mm for 6 or 7-speed)? My guess is 130mm.

With that said, IIRC, I've seen Campy compatible cassettes which fit on Shimano HG freehubs. However, a very quick search did not find any on eBay at the moment.

Another idea might be to take the spacers from a Campy cassette and use them on the UG/HG freehub body with Shimano HG sprockets and the UG smallest thread-on sprocket to secure the cassette

Best of luck..

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Likes For pastorbobnlnh:
Old 12-15-22, 09:54 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2746 Post(s)
Liked 3,390 Times in 2,053 Posts
Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh
With that said, IIRC, I've seen Campy compatible cassettes which fit on Shimano HG freehubs. However, a very quick search did not find any on eBay at the moment..

​​​​​​https://www.interlocracing.com/shop/...#attr=4728,987
Likes For dedhed:
Old 12-15-22, 12:00 PM
Lattz

Bikes: 80s Alan Super Record, 79' Somec Special, 90s Rossin(?) Columbus Ego Triathlon, previously: Bianchi SBX Reparto Corse (stolen) and so on...

Thanks pastorbobnlnh and dedhed the interloc are not available in 10sp, and it seems an Ambrosio on ebay (didn't even know they make/made cassettes as well) in Vegas is also for 11.
But as I had no clue that someone produces such things, said to myself a few times, how easy that would be, it is really great to know what to look for.
Likes For Lattz:
Old 12-15-22, 06:13 PM
Rocket-Sauce 
Port

Bikes: 2022 Soma Fog Cutter, 2021 Calfee Draqonfly 44, 1984 Peter Mooney, 2017 Soma Stanyan, 1990 Fuji Ace, 1990 Bridgestone RB-1, 1995 Independent Fabrications Track, 2003 Calfee Dragonfly Pro

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 1,861 Times in 1,062 Posts
The issue is that 11 speed Campy and Shimano have spacing close enough that they are cross compatible. Same with 12 speed.

But 10 speed is the PIA. And 10 speed conversion cassettes are getting rare and expensive.
I have a 10speed Campy drivetrain, and a few Shimano wheels with conversion cassettes. I have no idea what I'll do when the cassettes eventually wear out. It doesn't make sense (to me) to spend $150, $200, $250 or more on a cassette for a shimano105 hub that I use on the trainer only...
Old 12-15-22, 06:48 PM
Lattz

Originally Posted by Rocket-Sauce
The issue is that 11 speed Campy and Shimano have spacing close enough that they are cross compatible. Same with 12 speed.

But 10 speed is the PIA. And 10 speed conversion cassettes are getting rare and expensive.
I have a 10speed Campy drivetrain, and a few Shimano wheels with conversion cassettes. I have no idea what I'll do when the cassettes eventually wear out. It doesn't make sense (to me) to spend $150, $200, $250 or more on a cassette for a shimano105 hub that I use on the trainer only...
Hi and thanks for the comment. Yes, I have noticed, that the conversion cassettes are no fun when it comes to momo. I'm happy that it's not my problem I remember seeing a guy on youtube once, who re-spaced a casette of one to the other with own spacers cut from beercans. Not sure this would be a project the friend would like on the "holy grail", but also he will not fork out 200 for a cassette.
Maybe we should 3d print a freehub body, which is Shimano on the inside and campy on the outside <joke, but would be cool, and I'm surprised, no one thought of this> and patent it
Old 12-15-22, 09:30 PM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1452 Post(s)
Liked 2,195 Times in 962 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocket-Sauce
...I have no idea what I'll do when the cassettes eventually wear out. It doesn't make sense (to me) to spend $150, $200, $250 or more on a cassette for a shimano105 hub that I use on the trainer only...
Save the spacers from the old cassette and substitute in new sprockets. That's only if all sprockets have their own individual spacers and are not nested together in groups which are held by a common spider. Spacers don't wear out.

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Old 12-16-22, 12:52 AM
Minion1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 19 Posts
Also j tea shift mates, adapt the cable pull from campy to Shimano and back again. I have used one to run a campy drivetrain with Shimano wheels, the shift mate number 1 is the one you want.
Old 12-16-22, 07:29 AM
smontanaro 

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1444 Post(s)
Liked 1,392 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh
Another idea might be to take the spacers from a Campy cassette and use them on the UG/HG freehub body with Shimano HG sprockets and the UG smallest thread-on sprocket to secure the cassette
I have a similar problem. I have a Shimano 105 wheelset I plan to use with Campy 9sp derailleurs. I asked on The Paceline about this. The response from a couple people (including Peter Chisholm, ex-Vecchio's owner, oldpotatoe on PL) was that all you need are the yellow spacers from a Campy cassette. I bought a grimy cassette on eBay for not much moola and am ready to go.

I've yet to actually complete the project (still working on them frame), but have no doubt the Paceliners know what they are talking about.
Old 12-16-22, 11:13 AM
Lattz

Originally Posted by smontanaro
I have a similar problem. I have a Shimano 105 wheelset I plan to use with Campy 9sp derailleurs. I asked on The Paceline about this. The response from a couple people (including Peter Chisholm, ex-Vecchio's owner, oldpotatoe on PL) was that all you need are the yellow spacers from a Campy cassette. I bought a grimy cassette on eBay for not much moola and am ready to go.

I've yet to actually complete the project (still working on them frame), but have no doubt the Paceliners know what they are talking about.
Thanks, will keep that in mind once we get there. My friend really want these wheels but lets see how dedicated he is.
First, as a kickstart we need to find a fitting 11sp FHB.
Old 12-16-22, 02:38 PM
Lattz

Originally Posted by Minion1
Also j tea shift mates, adapt the cable pull from campy to Shimano and back again. I have used one to run a campy drivetrain with Shimano wheels, the shift mate number 1 is the one you want.
Thanks that is also an interesting and affordable option, if we can get one here. I saw they costed ~30-40ish EUR bitd they were available.