Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Huffy + Campagnolo Super Record = The Ultimate C&V Sacrilege build

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Huffy + Campagnolo Super Record = The Ultimate C&V Sacrilege build

Old 02-21-23, 03:07 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Bikes: '79 Trek 938, '86 Jim Merz Allez SE, '90 Miyata 1000, '68 PX-10, '80 PXN-10, '73 Super Course, '87 Guerciotti, '83 Trek 600, '80 Huffy Le Grande

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1194 Post(s)
Liked 3,412 Times in 1,358 Posts
Not much to update. We are now up to 10.5mi. Rode about 7.5 miles the other day. Jeans and a sweatshirt. Simple times. Loads of fun, and really loud anytime I had to stop or remotely slow down. I need to figure out a way to record it and put a clip of it in this thread. You just can't fully appreciate it without hearing it. Its like there is a bike 'screech' language, and the Le Grande is fluent and loud! Already on it's way to becoming a full-fledged Italian

Other than that, I've got good news and great news. The donor Super Record FD has a full clamp-on mount. Of course it is the wrong size, but it is going to be way easier to deal with that than have to work around a braze mount. The great news is that this project has already garnered an outpouring of support from the C&V community here, which has taken me totally by surprise. I fully expected a lot more heat (which would have been not only fine, but justified) but everyone has been so cool. Even if there is still general confusion and that overall feeling of 'throwing up your hands' amongst some, they have appreciated the spirit of the project. I'm jazzed.

I've also been thinking of other little bits and things, a few of which are cable guides. I'm going to need a FD/RD clamp on dual cable guide for the lower downtube area. I think Campy makes one. Also, I was looking at top tube cable housing guides, and it looks like Campy does make them, but they would likely be too big for the Huffy tubes and they (along w/ that downtube guide) are horrendously expensive. I may try to make my own cable guides, out of sheet brass or something. I have a letter stamp set...I'm wondering if I can just stamp 'Campy' on them and call it a day. Stuff to play around with for sure. The weird little plastic housing holders are going to have to go, as they allow the cables to just sort of snake around everywhere.

Also, I've been inspired by some of the 'faux' or parody tubing stickers. I've been trying to do research into what tubing supplier Huffy has used in the past to get their stuff. I mean, it has to come from somewhere. If I can find out, I'd like to design a tubing sticker to put on the bike. Guaranteed genuine special low carbon mild steel.

Going to try to get in another ride today before the snow hits. I'd like to hit 100mi in less than 30 days, but there have been multiple challenges, the weather being one of the biggest. Then when I get home, its usually family time, and then the weekends the family usually has something going on, so I am going to try to sneak in small rides here and there. We'll eventually get to 100, and then the real fun begins.
Likes For AdventureManCO:
Old 02-21-23, 03:39 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 2304 Post(s)
Liked 2,740 Times in 1,498 Posts
Originally Posted by AdventureManCO
The PX-10 is nice and all, but...we are talking about the grand Le Grande, after all!

If it fell, it would probably kill the Peugeot

The scorecard for today: Le Grande - 1, PX-10 - 0

Finally got to take it for a spin. It started off slow, and, well, just kept going slow. I think the bikes 'muscles' may have atrophied from not being ridden in so long, but we finally got into a good groove.

Coming from the PX-10, the Ironman, the Trek 957, etc...I was actually very impressed with the ride. It was smooth (for the most part), and was very comfortable. The needle on the dial moved a line past 'I wouldn't care if this was stolen', so I think the test ride was a success. Its got a slightly wicked lean to the left, but I think I know why and should be easy to address. Honestly, it was a big nostalgic. I never had a Huffy road bike growing up, and didn't really ride road bikes growing up, but I did have a black Huffy bmx when I was a kid, and grew up on relatively pedestrian bikes. I always drooled over the GTs, Elfs, PK Rippers, and Robinsons down at the GT BMX Store that was literally a couple miles from my house. So it was kinda cool to be taken back in a way.

It was also very plainly obvious why people hate these bikes, and I think we can isolate much of that to the components (which will be going away eventually), so that is actually good. The brakes just plain suck, there is no other way to put it. They are flimsy, flexy, weak, and have little chance of success with those steel rims. I road through a little bit of water and snow here and there, and after that there was just no hope. Lost probably 60-80% of braking power and it screeched and screamed so loud when pulling up to my house I actually laughed. Since brakes are such an integral part of a functional bicycle, I can see why people just wrote the whole bike off completely. And very few people would have been willing to change out the brakes AND the wheels. That, and the seat tilt adjustment. It was either -5 degrees, or 15 degrees, nothing in-between.

While one part of me hates the idea of separating out all the original components since the bike is still in such stellar condition...they will find their way to the dumpster soon

My heart will go on

I think what I am going to do, however, it try to put at least 100 miles on the bike before really tearing things down and gutting it, again, just to get a better impression in it's 'before' stage. Plus it would be fun to do an unofficial 'Clunker Challenge' with it (paging @Narhay !), since it currently meets the criteria. Bike's gotta earn its keep!

In sad news, I tried the SR Royal Extra Super Light stem, and it definitely didn't fit But it wasn't off by much. Stem diameter was a true 22.2, and the ID of the steerer tube was weird, something like 21.6mm. So, do I attempt to shave off .6mm from around an already light stem? I haven't taken a digital caliper to the wall thickness of the stem, but opinions are definitely welcome. The Jun stem was actually a slightly loose fit. I haven't weighed the Jun, but if we end up going with that one, we are definitely going to shave it down a bit and use a titanium wedge bolt and an aluminum wedge (drilled out, too).

The great news about this build is that I have some time to think about things. I already have most of the upgrade parts, but riding the bike as-is will allow me to get a better feel for how things will need to change.

Oh, and based on what a previous posted mentioned, I did look it up, and it sure does look like Rene Herse makes tubulars...

But...uhh...well, maybe those 100 first miles will give me time to setup a gofundme for the bike!

All in all, a good day. Tomorrow I'll be busting out the polish and we'll see how clean and shiny that frame sparkles.
this could be a good C&V group project.....help source/donate needed elements and then when AdventureManCO tires of the huffy frame we can watch a build on a frame with more pedigree

don't have much campy, but will look in the pile to see if anything might match up

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 02-21-23, 04:19 PM
roadcrankr
Thread derailleur

Bikes: Merlin Extralight '94 & Cannondale Supersix '15

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 240 Posts
I can supply you some clamps, for free, if you think they fit.
12-14mm rear chain stay one for the derailleur.
26-29mm top tube Huret clamps.
28-29mm Simplex downtube routing one. This one requires a cable housing, from clamp to the front derailleur.
Likes For roadcrankr:
Old 02-21-23, 04:49 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,823 Times in 1,709 Posts

You just can't fully appreciate it without hearing it. Its like there is a bike 'screech' language, and the Le Grande is fluent and loud! Already on it's way to becoming a full-fledged Italian
Could be passion, or it could be the Le Grande is crying out for the promised upgrades!

DD
Old 02-21-23, 04:52 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

I've been trying to do research into what tubing supplier Huffy has used in the past to get their stuff. I mean, it has to come from somewhere.
I will guess Lowe's or Home Depot.

DD
Old 02-21-23, 05:03 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Bikes: '79 Trek 938, '86 Jim Merz Allez SE, '90 Miyata 1000, '68 PX-10, '80 PXN-10, '73 Super Course, '87 Guerciotti, '83 Trek 600, '80 Huffy Le Grande

Originally Posted by Drillium Dude

DD
I had this EXACT same thought as I was researching it…’they probably just had Fred run down to HD and grab a stack of pipes’

I mean, that’s where I get mine.
Old 02-21-23, 05:08 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Could be passion, or it could be the Le Grande is crying out for the promised upgrades!

DD
I know, right. ”…you just say that you love me! But you never act like it!”

I feel like I should at least post up some pictures of the SR parts I have so that people know I’m crazy serious. Or was it seriously crazy? I can’t tell anymore. But I think probably not a lot of people may believe it unless they see the goods, myself included (wait, I’m doing this…for real…?)
Old 02-21-23, 05:18 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Originally Posted by squirtdad
this could be a good C&V group project.....help source/donate needed elements and then when AdventureManCO tires of the huffy frame we can watch a build on a frame with more pedigree

don't have much campy, but will look in the pile to see if anything might match up
Originally Posted by roadcrankr
I can supply you some clamps, for free, if you think they fit.
12-14mm rear chain stay one for the derailleur.
26-29mm top tube Huret clamps.
28-29mm Simplex downtube routing one. This one requires a cable housing, from clamp to the front derailleur.

Ya’ll are too kind, I really appreciate it. Let me see what I’ve got in the ‘junk drawer/honey hole’ and I will report back.

Ive heard good things about Tufo tires so I may look into those as a tubular option.

I know for sure I’ve got the crankset, bb, front and rear derailleurs, headset, brakes, levers, and bar.

I’ve been thinking through the seatpost dilemma and I think I have an idea (that may involve a 25mm SR seatpost) but I don’t want to flaunt the rules so I will do no solicitation in this thread, instead will post a WTB in the classifieds section if I’m looking for something specific. Gotta keep things high class around here…the Le Grande demands no less.
Old 02-21-23, 05:37 PM
Straightblock
Fast Old Guy

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 669 Times in 177 Posts
I've been inspired by some of the 'faux' or parody tubing stickers. I've been trying to do research into what tubing supplier Huffy has used in the past to get their stuff. I mean, it has to come from somewhere. If I can find out, I'd like to design a tubing sticker to put on the bike. Guaranteed genuine special low carbon mild steel.

DD
I had this EXACT same thought as I was researching it…’they probably just had Fred run down to HD and grab a stack of pipes’

I've been expecting someone to warn you that you're going to crush the top tube in the workstand clamp
Likes For Straightblock:
Old 02-21-23, 08:38 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Originally Posted by albrt

Seems to me the final build needs to maintain at least one of the (1) dork disk...did Campy ever make any of those things?
In fact, yes, they did - and in at least two versions. A stamped-steel version, used with the really-old-school Cambio Corsa shifting setup, and a plastic version which looks to have an alloy center portion where it interfaces with the hub (pics stolen from teh interwebz):

A bit pricey, but the coolness factor negates that: https://www.ebay.com/itm/27560551048...hoCi5gQAvD_BwE

DD
Likes For Drillium Dude:
Old 02-21-23, 09:26 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Do they make a carbon fiber dork disk? Might be a good consideration!

Itsy bitsy teeny weeny update - I only put 2mi on the bike today. Rode to the post office and back. Feeling a little under the weather, but still wanting to get a ride in before the snow rolls in.

Since I was a little groggy, I wanted to take things nice and slow. The Le Grande was only too happy to oblige.

Total mileage now stands at 12.5mi.

Will try to put more on when the snow clears up, and for sure this weekend. Now when I go out to the garage, the Le Grande is right there, almost as an obstruction, demanding that I take it. Grabbing it this evening, I glanced quickly at the PX-10, and instantly the word 'N-O-P-E' flashed across my mind. No desire, not even a hint of a temptation. Its just like I've accepted that if I'm going to be riding, its going to be the Le Grande. It has taken me hostage, and I'm okay with it. The bike form of Stockholm syndrome.
Old 02-21-23, 10:13 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Originally Posted by Straightblock
I've been expecting someone to warn you that you're going to crush the top tube in the workstand clamp
With Huffy, workstand no crush Le Grande, Le Grande crush workstand
Old 02-21-23, 10:43 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked 1,667 Times in 761 Posts
Great thread.

With Huffys (and Murrays and other 60s-70s 'Murican-built swingset-tube bikes), it's all fun & games until the spot welds on the rear brake bridge snap. But you didn't need that brake anyway, right?
Likes For RCMoeur:
Old 02-21-23, 11:37 PM
albrt 

Bikes: 1964(?) Frejus Tour de France, 1967(?) Dawes Double Blue, 1979 Trek 710, 1982 Claud Butler Dalesman, 1983 Schwinn Paramount Elite, 2014 Brompton, maybe a couple more

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 669 Times in 324 Posts
That's why they call 'em "breaks" right?
Likes For albrt:
Old 02-22-23, 12:40 AM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
Back in the the olden days, you could have almost anybody committed with the right kind of petition.

Likes For SkinGriz:
Old 02-22-23, 01:48 AM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1554 Post(s)
Liked 1,273 Times in 845 Posts
Before anyone makes too much fun of Huffy's frames from this and earlier years, know that the main tubes are all hand-brazed, NOT welded.

Later Chinese-made "American" branded bikes have larger tubing diameter and are, yes, welded.

Spot welds often fail only after water intrusion between the tube and bridge corrodes the weld.
Paint can be soaked into any such junctions where the original paint failed to bridge said junction (leaving it exposed to the elements).
It will normally take a lot of use, and/or water intrusion, to cause the brake bridge joining to fail, though hard use by bigger riders will of course reduce the lifespan of any spot-welded joints.
Using 700c instead of 26x1-3/8 rims greatly reduces the brake pad reach and thus reduces the stress on the rear brake bridge.

The older ones like this one use the slender tubes for balanced resilience, perfectly complementing any high-end, lightweight wheelset wearing good tubulars.

Note that of late, there are some really nice tubular, and rim-braked wheelsets being sold off for very little coin!
10-speed width freehub body means most racers won't want them, so very negotiable. Carbon rims (with carbon pads) for sure (never found a bent carbon rim to date).
Old 02-22-23, 08:01 AM
RB1-luvr
I don't know.

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '08 Windsor Tourist, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 823 Times in 430 Posts
did you weigh it before it taking it apart? I'd be interested in the pre and post weight.
Old 02-22-23, 10:08 AM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Originally Posted by RB1-luvr
did you weigh it before it taking it apart? I'd be interested in the pre and post weight.

36.4lbs.

A relative featherweight, compared to some other bikes...

We are going to weigh each component, both old and new, and see what we are saving, and where. And then a final 'after' weight, of course.
Old 02-22-23, 10:26 AM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,445 Times in 1,557 Posts
O.M.A.S away! I told Miss Erica at the P.O. to make it had the cheapest--and therefore the slowest-- postage because this is for a very special event.
Likes For thumpism:
Old 02-22-23, 10:38 AM
Mr. Spadoni 

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 215 Posts

Did you pick up any tubulars while you were there?
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Kenda-70...2751/300165904
Likes For Mr. Spadoni:
Old 02-22-23, 10:39 AM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Originally Posted by thumpism
O.M.A.S away! I told Miss Erica at the P.O. to make it had the cheapest--and therefore the slowest-- postage because this is for a very special event.
Your 'cheap and slow' methodology perfectly matches the ethos of the bike in its current form; an artistic triumph. Your effort generates a whole different level of appreciation from me. Well done. I think I may have been offended had you chosen a faster shipping option.
Old 02-22-23, 10:51 AM
roadcrankr
Thread derailleur

Bikes: Merlin Extralight '94 & Cannondale Supersix '15

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 240 Posts
Horse Bet

36.4lbs.

A relative featherweight, compared to some other bikes...

We are going to weigh each component, both old and new, and see what we are saving, and where. And then a final 'after' weight, of course.
My prediction for final weight: 26.2 lbs. Basically French seatpost sizing!
The crankset, alone, will make a terrific boat anchor.
And so much cable housing. You should take me up on my offer for the Huret toptube clips.
Shiny and brand new. Same weight as Campy. Only a sharp eye would notice the Huret stampings.
Then you might get punched in the face.
Old 02-22-23, 11:02 AM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Originally Posted by Mr. Spadoni
Did you pick up any tubulars while you were there?
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Kenda-70...2751/300165904

***Edit: wow...well I'm dumb but that's okay...I completely misunderstood this one and had no idea what a 'Super Domestique' was! I have since schooled myself (the term goes way back!), but I found it so hilarious in my totally ignorant Americanized interpretation, I'll just leave it up. I have no pride. Had a good laugh over this one. Maybe you can have a laugh too (at me). I shall hereby refer to it as the 'Home Depot tubular tire'.***

Beyond the sheer absurdity of finding a tubular tire at Home Depot, way beyond, is the pure and beautiful existence of that tire's name...

...'Super Domestique'...my brain went straight to 'Super Domestic' and it was the funniest thing I've ever heard

Just everything about it...the way they spelled it...available at Home Depot...it needed to be a tubular tire for it to work and it is...

I'm literally crying from laughing here at work and hoping the others guys don't notice. I literally...I can't even. Who did this??? The Mona Lisa has nothing on this troll as pure art. Words cannot describe it.

Life has to be a parody, there is no other explanation. It reminds me of when I saw a thread of Italian pronunciations and somebody threw in Race Face as 'Rotchey Fotchey'. Same energy here, only even better.

I want these tires for this bike. I have no idea how they ride, but more perfect tires couldn't have been made for it. It describes the bike...it is the bike.

One of the best posts I've seen, for many reasons - kudos Mr Spadoni.

EDIT: YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS it is written on the side of it...

double edit: okay so I had to look up ‘domestique’. Because I thought nah, there is no way it can simply only mean how it first came off to me, and of course it has another meaning. But it only gets better…

’Domestique’ is a rider who rides for the good of the team, but without the goal to win the race. Well if you are not winning you are most assuredly losing. So another potential name of this tire ‘Super Loser’…rofl…i get that the spirit of the term is one of self sacrifice, service and teamwork and all that other warm fuzzy mumbo jumbo. But because of my jacked up American interpretation I prefer the context in the spirit of parody and trolling.

then again the French interpretation of ‘Domestique’ is truly in the vein of the mundane and ordinary, i.e. maid or servant. So we are well within our lane with the slightly extraneous interpretation.

Last edited by AdventureManCO; 02-22-23 at 07:03 PM.
Old 02-22-23, 11:06 AM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

...I don’t want to flaunt the rules so I will do no solicitation in this thread, instead will post a WTB in the classifieds section if I’m looking for something specific...
Hey Dave, unless the rules have drastically changed, I don't believe soliciting for needed parts would be an issue, with the qualifier being taking care of the details/money/contact info via PM.

When I converted the Davidson from Super Record to Ergopower 8-speed, I let folks know through posts in my thread that (a) I would be passing along the stuff that came off, and (b) asking members if they had any of the parts I'd not been able to source. Never heard a peep that the approach was not kosher - but I did get lots of help, and over half the new stuff came from C&V members who'd been following the 'Blasphemy?" odyssey.

If you've ever got a spare 8 or 9 hours to burn (spoiler alert: you can never get them back), you can read all about it here: 2002 Davison Super Record to Ergo 8-speed Swap

DD
Likes For Drillium Dude:
Old 02-22-23, 11:11 AM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Originally Posted by Mr. Spadoni

Did you pick up any tubulars while you were there? https://www.homedepot.com/p/Kenda-70...2751/300165904
WTF?!

For the record, I was joking when I suggested Huffy sourced their frame-building materials from HD. But now that I see this ^^^^^, all bets are off!

DD
Likes For Drillium Dude:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.