Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

"On the Road Again" Challenges

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

"On the Road Again" Challenges

Old 03-21-23, 10:02 PM
Sactown_Albert 

Bikes: 2017 Sage Skyline, 2015 Co-Motion Periscope Tandem, 2012 Soma Smoothie, 2006 Kona Jake, 1986 Miyata Nine Twelve, 1977 Peugeot UO18c, 1977 Peugeot PRN10, 1974 Allegro Schweitzermeister Model 76, 1972 Hugo Rickert Spezial

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 580 Times in 186 Posts
Finished the 1974 (ish) Allegro Schweitzermeister Build

I posted about this “from the frame up build” earlier in the process. This is my second Swiss made Allegro Schweitzermeister from roughly the same period, given the close proximity of the serial numbers. (242930 and 244893) Both of them are Model 76 versions. The first one was restored to the “B” configuration which is primarily a mix of Campagnolo, Weinmann and Stronglight parts. I posted a thread about that build a couple of years ago.

With this one, I was starting from a bare frame, so I decided to build it in the “A” configuration which called for a full Campagnolo Nuovo Record build. My first Allegro had very damaged paint, so I powder coated it and hand painted the lug lines. It looks really nice (the powder coat was done by someone who knew how to do bikes with lugs) but it was no longer original. Stellar ride quality. That bike quickly became my favorite rider which is what inspired me to take on this project when I learned a frame was available in good shape with original paint.

This one came to me with excellent chrome and reasonably good paint, so I was much more conservative in my approach. The tiger stripe paint effect is somewhat delicate, so cleaning and polishing it was a bit of a challenge. I replaced only the badly damaged decals and left the original, intact ones in place. Cyclomondo had very accurate replica decals so I was able to match the previous decals perfectly.

The frame had been stripped of parts years ago, so I had to start gathering parts from scratch. I was able to figure out its component configuration from catalogs from 1976 and pictures of same period Allegros. (I would love to get my hands on scans of 1973-74 Allegro catalogs since both frames are from that period.) My only deviation was using high flange Tipo hubs instead of low flange Campy NR hubs since I have those on the other wheelset.

Below are pictures of the completed bike. (I have lowered the stem since I took these glamour shots.) Looking forward to riding this one at Bob Freitas’ vintage ride this weekend.

Old 03-22-23, 07:32 AM
USAZorro
Seńor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,071 Times in 633 Posts
Originally Posted by Sactown_Albert

Below are pictures of the completed bike. (I have lowered the stem since I took these glamour shots.) Looking forward to riding this one at Bob Freitas’ vintage ride this weekend.

A couple notes: I have always thought these paint jobs were awesome, and you've done an excellent job on the restoration. In the images I retained, I noticed that most of the grass is quite blurred, but certain portions remain in focus. I am curious as to whether the images have been "manipulated" (for lack of what is probably a better term) - either automatically by camera or computer software, or manually. Regardless, the pictures do a great job of allowing the viewer to consider the bicycle without the distraction of the background.

Many moons ago, Bob hooked me up with a box full of tubular rims - several of which I used, and nearly all of which I still have. I crossed paths with him at a Cirque or three - though I have no idea whether he remembers me. He's a good guy, and if you could say "hi" for me, I'd appreciate it. If you need a conversation-starter with him, mention that you heard his dad was in the Navy.
Old 03-22-23, 09:24 AM
Sactown_Albert 

Bikes: 2017 Sage Skyline, 2015 Co-Motion Periscope Tandem, 2012 Soma Smoothie, 2006 Kona Jake, 1986 Miyata Nine Twelve, 1977 Peugeot UO18c, 1977 Peugeot PRN10, 1974 Allegro Schweitzermeister Model 76, 1972 Hugo Rickert Spezial

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 580 Times in 186 Posts
Took the shots in portrait mode

Originally Posted by USAZorro
A couple notes: I have always thought these paint jobs were awesome, and you've done an excellent job on the restoration. In the images I retained, I noticed that most of the grass is quite blurred, but certain portions remain in focus. I am curious as to whether the images have been "manipulated" (for lack of what is probably a better term) - either automatically by camera or computer software, or manually. Regardless, the pictures do a great job of allowing the viewer to consider the bicycle without the distraction of the background.

Many moons ago, Bob hooked me up with a box full of tubular rims - several of which I used, and nearly all of which I still have. I crossed paths with him at a Cirque or three - though I have no idea whether he remembers me. He's a good guy, and if you could say "hi" for me, I'd appreciate it. If you need a conversation-starter with him, mention that you heard his dad was in the Navy.
I had accidentally used portrait mode for the photos and didn’t realize I had that filter on until after I went back inside. It of course started pouring rain so I opted not to do a reshoot. I will definitely say hi to Bob for you but I only know you by your avatar name so shoot me a message offline with the name Bob would know you by.

Alberto Roldan, Sacramento, California USA
Old 03-22-23, 10:10 AM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1871 Post(s)
Liked 689 Times in 467 Posts
Good luck to whoever has to organize all this!
Old 03-22-23, 09:02 PM
Narhay

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Liked 568 Times in 314 Posts
Originally Posted by USAZorro
Anyone who's spent any amount of time in C&V knows that there are many here who enjoy projects. There are also many who enjoy riding. And there are those who enjoy a bit of storytelling. And those whose best is brought out by a challenge.

In years past, Narhay has provided us with opportunities for these things with his Clunker challenges. He has been scarce here lately - as there have been periods when I was scarce. I'm certain all here would be glad for his return, but if we are to have any hope of having an event of this nature for 2023, the wheels need to get rolling soon. So in the spirit of Clunkers past, I propose to you...

The On the Road Again Challenges.

I am feeling ambitious and trying to be inclusive. The idea is to put a bike that was not working (and I'll be lenient on defining "working), on the road in some improved state during 2023. Like the former challenge, there is the requirement that the bicycle be ridden 100 km (bonus for Miles) and final entries/documentation received by the morning of September 5th. Plenty of time here. Pictures are strongly encouraged. (at minimum, before and after photos are needed) Progress reports help maintain interest and provide motivation so expect the thread to be alive.

Here's where there are twists, There will be five distinct categories. While it is certainly possible for a bike to meet more than one of them - or for an exceptionally talented person to have a bicycle that does meet all five, the rules/guidelines are separate. The categories will be:

1. Mucho-cheapo
2. Frankenbike
3. Restoration
4. It started with a part
5. From the frame up

The details:

Mucho-cheapo: This is the only category with a budget, but with a couple differences from years past: $108 is the limit for spending on the bike and parts in 2023. The focus is on resourcefulness and ingenuity on a budget. "Horse-trading" has a place here, but the judge(s) are going to raise eyebrows if the Confente that you miraculously got in a trade for a beaten-up U-08 gets entered (if you catch the drift). That said, go ahead and dig into your parts stash to find a seatpost, an old Titleist derailleur and whatnot. In the spirit of the competition, please don't put the 50th Anniversary gruppo that you've been holding onto since 2011 on it. One other difference - in the interest of safety. Tires and tubes are excluded from the budget limit. One further note. Efforts beyond finding a $50.00 beater and giving it a generic overhaul will be rewarded.

Frankenbike: While you may choose to live within the Mucho-cheapo budget, that is not necessary. The idea here is to take something and make one or more parts of it something different from what it started with. Aero bars on a MTB? Fair game. A fixed gear Varsity? check. Tall-bike? ok. Tractor lights on a night rider? Go for it. Proud of a gugificazione? Room for that too. Ingenuity, and creativity are your friends in this one.

Restoration: I have immense respect for people who have the eye for and exercise the attention to detail necessary to perform a faithful restoration. There's no reason why they shouldn't have a category.

It started with a part: This category will tap into not only your project completion skills, but also having a knack for documenting your creative process. Did you ever come across a component that took you down a bit of a rabbit hole of a project, or became a theme for your build? Perhaps it's one of those 3-pulley derailleurs that inspired you to build a bike that can be ridden up a cliff, or some awesomely cool fenders that just had to go on something. A colored part that led to repainting the frame? Whatever it is, here's your category.

From the frame up: Whether you paint it or not, if you build a bike up from nothing you have a category.

Please note that this is intended to be fun. If you have feedback or suggestions, I'm willing to hear them. Likewise, if you're interested in being a co-judge for one of the categories, shoot me a PM.

Let's see what we can do!
Sounds like this year's challenge is in good hands. Good luck everyone.
Likes For Narhay:
Old 03-22-23, 09:23 PM
thinktubes 
weapons-grade bolognium

Bikes: Battaglin Cromor, Ciocc Designer 84, Schwinn Superior 1981

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked 2,353 Times in 882 Posts
I wish there was a category for taking a part from a working bike, rendering it inoperable.
Likes For thinktubes:
Old 03-23-23, 06:25 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 480 Post(s)
Quoted: 3788 Post(s)
Liked 6,572 Times in 2,580 Posts
I might consider entering this Puch I built up recently. It was cheap enough: $20 find on CL. Came with a Brooks saddle that I sold for $30, wheels went on another project, so I built these up with a $20 coaster brake rear hub and 27” Weinmann concave rims. Paid money for the bars ($10), saddle ($10), tires ($30), crankset ($20), and rear spokes ($18), so I suppose I’m in it for $98 as currently shown. The problem is that I really don’t want to ride it for 100k!

Likes For nlerner:
Old 03-23-23, 06:46 AM
USAZorro
Seńor Member

Originally Posted by nlerner
I might consider entering this Puch I built up recently. It was cheap enough: $20 find on CL. Came with a Brooks saddle that I sold for $30, wheels went on another project, so I built these up with a $20 coaster brake rear hub and 27” Weinmann concave rims. Paid money for the bars ($10), saddle ($10), tires ($30), crankset ($20), and rear spokes ($18), so I suppose I’m in it for $98 as currently shown. The problem is that I really don’t want to ride it for 100k!

Looks great.

Actually, you're in it for $68. Tires don't count in this one. Pop a $40.00 battery on it and 100km should be a breeze.
Old 03-23-23, 11:41 AM
rustystrings61 

Bikes: 2002 Mercian Vincitore, 1982 Mercian Colorado, 1976 Puch Royal X, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1971 Gitane Tour de France and others

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,387 Times in 690 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner

That's the second version of the Brigadier - the c.1976-77 had a Reynolds 531 main triangle with Puch 482 hi-ten stays and forks, the later ones were all Puch 482. Were it mine, I'd switch it back to dropped bars and add some clips and straps and go, but I'm one of those fixed-gear fiends.
Old 03-23-23, 11:52 AM
rustystrings61 

Bikes: 2002 Mercian Vincitore, 1982 Mercian Colorado, 1976 Puch Royal X, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1971 Gitane Tour de France and others

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,387 Times in 690 Posts
I acquired this Tim Neenan Lighthouse frameset in 2021, cleaned it, touched up the worst places in the paint and managed to remove the fragments of a very stuck stem. For a plethora of reasons, it has been in storage, but this looks like a good opportunity to get to work on it again! I think I can fit two categories, the obvious from the frame up - but also it started with a part, because the initial impulse to buy this one was the acquisition of a set of T.A. Alize triple cranks with an included 48T chainring.

Likes For rustystrings61:
Old 03-23-23, 05:23 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6147 Post(s)
Liked 4,091 Times in 2,325 Posts
Originally Posted by thinktubes
I wish there was a category for taking a part from a working bike, rendering it inoperable.
I only reserve that for people who personally insult me. As I tel them, “never insult someone who can disable you bike in 30 seconds or can turn your pee blue”.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 03-23-23, 06:20 PM
uncle uncle

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked 233 Times in 139 Posts
If this were in place two of the previous years... I could have been a contender.
Old 03-25-23, 02:35 PM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Okay. I’ll bite but in a slightly different category. Frame up with parts I have at home. Not necessarily vintage but for a mountain bike this 2005 Epic is positively stoneaged.

Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 03-25-23, 03:19 PM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2384 Post(s)
Liked 2,930 Times in 1,861 Posts
Or in my case, building up an entire bike and it still being inoperable.
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super

Old 03-25-23, 04:07 PM
cyccommute 

The build.
Part 1: Headset installed, handlebars installed and wheels on in less than 30 minutes

Crank, chain, brakes in 1.5 hours

Last edited by cyccommute; 03-25-23 at 04:18 PM.
Likes For cyccommute:
Old 03-25-23, 04:23 PM
cyccommute 

Controls, cables, and adjustments. Ready to ride in 3 hours.

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 03-25-23, 07:30 PM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 393 Post(s)
Liked 854 Times in 421 Posts
OK - here's my 'before' picture for the frame-up category.

A well-packed Raleigh!

Questions:

Is a resto-mod that retains a mostly classic look still in the Restoration category? How about a Frame-Up that gets a little bit Franken? Where would it go?
Likes For Fredo76:
Old 03-26-23, 03:00 PM
USAZorro
Seńor Member

Originally Posted by Fredo76

Questions:

Is a resto-mod that retains a mostly classic look still in the Restoration category? How about a Frame-Up that gets a little bit Franken? Where would it go?
Can enter it in as many qualifying categories as you'd like.
Old 03-26-23, 05:06 PM
Chr0m0ly 

Bikes: '84 Miyata 610 ‘91 Cannondale ST600,'83 Trek 720 ‘84 Trek 520, 620, ‘91 Miyata 1000LT, '79 Trek 514, '78 Trek 706, '73 Raleigh Int. frame.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 678 Post(s)
Liked 362 Times in 217 Posts
I’ve been scarce, I have a nearly six month old taking up my forum time! 🙂

but I have a couple frames I’ve squirreled away, and a fairly deep parts bin… I’ve been meaning to assemble these things but time got away from me.

This would be a great excuse to actually complete another build! If I post a list with photos of frames, (maybe in it’s own thread?) would a poll on which frame to build up be of any interest?
Likes For Chr0m0ly:
Old 03-27-23, 08:19 AM
Pompiere

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 310, 1986 Schwinn Sierra, 2011 Jamis Quest, 1980 Peugeot TH8 Tandem, 1992 Performance Parabola, 1987 Ross Mt. Hood, 1988 Schwinn LeTour, 1988 Trek 400T, 1981 Fuji S12-S LTD, 197? FW Evans

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked 943 Times in 495 Posts
I ran into a couple snags while working on the Marukin, so I decided to switch gears and get the FW Evans on the road. I scavenged parts from a couple bikes and from my parts stash, so nothing was purchased. Some are just place holders until I find more appropriate parts for the final iteration. I am planning to keep the Shimano 105 Golden Arrow derailleurs. I am leaning towards a dark green paint scheme, so I thought the Golden Arrow would look good with that. I discovered the Golden Arrow levers would interchange from the aero mount on the Miyata to the downtube band mount and the Z401 levers work on the aero mount. The wheels also came from the Miyata. I took a quick trip up and down the road in front of my house and everything feels good for a longer test once the weather clears up. I want to make a proper evaluation before committing to a full paint job.

F.W. Evans
Likes For Pompiere:
Old 03-28-23, 08:18 AM
ollo_ollo

Bikes: Still have a few left!

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 462 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 253 Posts
I'm in for a frame-up build, with a couple frames waiting. But, due to selling my home and downsizing, it will be late Summer before I can start. Spent most of last Summer healing from my July crash. We only got packed and moved with our new place somewhat habitable by end of September, then left for Florida. Will return early in May, hope to finish renovations prior to Cino in July. So that leaves August for one build. Don

Last edited by ollo_ollo; 03-28-23 at 08:19 AM. Reason: grammar
Likes For ollo_ollo:
Old 03-28-23, 07:21 PM
Murray Missile 

Bikes: More than there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 575 Posts
I think my '86 FUJI Suncrest 650B project will qualify in a category or 2.

As found:

First buildup last year with all junk parts I was going to get rid of:

An "under construction" shot of its current build as a 650B:

Old 03-29-23, 09:48 PM
Senior Ryder 00 
Old bikes, Older guy

Bikes: A few modern, Several vintage, All ridden when weather allows.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked 158 Times in 110 Posts
1983 Raleigh USA Grand Prix

Hi folks,

I’m not quite sure what category to put this in. It’s definitely not a Restoration or did it start from a single part. I could probably do it under the Mucho-cheapo budget, but that wouldn’t do it justice.

Here’s the history. I got it a couple of months ago for $25 from a guy who had taken the gear train off of it..He was selling the frameset. When he learned that I volunteered at the local co-op, he tossed in a mismatched wheelset that had good tires. My initial plan is to build it up as kind of a “all Rounder” or combo gravel/light tourer. I plan on using Rando bars with a riser stem, center pull brakes, a 3 X 8 gear train and, hopefully, some type of indexed shifting.

The original tires went on a refurb assignment from the co-op. I also donated the wheels to the co-op. While I was there, I got a different wheelset for $15, Shimano FHRM40 hubs laced to Sun AT18 rims. My volunteer time earns me recycled/used parts at great prices. Currently in my stash is a Deore XT derailleur set, a Sora triple CS missing two chainrings, a set of alloy Rando bars, some Sora STI units, Weinmann 610 brakes, housings from passed projects & a Blackburn rack. I also have some slightly weathered tires that could survive the required100K, but don’t know how to value this stuff. Will still need a riser stem ($2), cassette ($3), cables ($6) HB Tape ($8).

Attached is my “before” picture. The wheels & tires are the ones mentioned earlier. The fork is a temporary while I repaint the fork blades. A previous owner removed some of the decals and in the process messed up the paint on the blades. Oh, $14 worth of decals on order.

Guidance, inputs, suggestions, etc. will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Van

Raleigh USA Grand Prix - Before

Last edited by Senior Ryder 00; 03-29-23 at 09:52 PM. Reason: Add Title
Likes For Senior Ryder 00:
Old 03-29-23, 10:20 PM
USAZorro
Seńor Member

Originally Posted by Senior Ryder 00
Hi folks,

I’m not quite sure what category to put this in. It’s definitely not a Restoration or did it start from a single part. I could probably do it under the Mucho-cheapo budget, but that wouldn’t do it justice.

Here’s the history. I got it a couple of months ago for $25 from a guy who had taken the gear train off of it..He was selling the frameset. When he learned that I volunteered at the local co-op, he tossed in a mismatched wheelset that had good tires. My initial plan is to build it up as kind of a “all Rounder” or combo gravel/light tourer. I plan on using Rando bars with a riser stem, center pull brakes, a 3 X 8 gear train and, hopefully, some type of indexed shifting.

The original tires went on a refurb assignment from the co-op. I also donated the wheels to the co-op. While I was there, I got a different wheelset for $15, Shimano FHRM40 hubs laced to Sun AT18 rims. My volunteer time earns me recycled/used parts at great prices. Currently in my stash is a Deore XT derailleur set, a Sora triple CS missing two chainrings, a set of alloy Rando bars, some Sora STI units, Weinmann 610 brakes, housings from passed projects & a Blackburn rack. I also have some slightly weathered tires that could survive the required100K, but don’t know how to value this stuff. Will still need a riser stem ($2), cassette ($3), cables ($6) HB Tape ($8).

Attached is my “before” picture. The wheels & tires are the ones mentioned earlier. The fork is a temporary while I repaint the fork blades. A previous owner removed some of the decals and in the process messed up the paint on the blades. Oh, $14 worth of decals on order.

Guidance, inputs, suggestions, etc. will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Van

Raleigh USA Grand Prix - Before
Looks to me like you're building it from the frame up. An enviable starting point as well.
Old 03-30-23, 10:49 PM
Pompiere

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 310, 1986 Schwinn Sierra, 2011 Jamis Quest, 1980 Peugeot TH8 Tandem, 1992 Performance Parabola, 1987 Ross Mt. Hood, 1988 Schwinn LeTour, 1988 Trek 400T, 1981 Fuji S12-S LTD, 197? FW Evans

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked 943 Times in 495 Posts
I originally thought the Marukin would go in the Mucho Cheapo category, but now I am looking at the "It started with a part" category. I've had a wheel with a Shimano 3 speed hub and a 27 inch Araya rim sitting in my garage for several years, waiting on a frame to build. The Marukin is a low end bike boom bike, so I was not concerned about squeezing the rear end to accommodate the 3 speed hub. It took all of about 5 minutes. I just need to connect the rear brake and find a suitable seat and it will be ready to roll. I like the middle gear to be in my normal cruising range, around 60 inches, so then I have a headwind gear and a tail wind gear. It is really flat where I live, so I don't need a hill-climbing gear. Pictures will be coming as soon as I finish it.
Likes For Pompiere:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.