Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Chain tension on SS Conversion

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Old 04-27-23, 06:29 AM
Zaskar

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 156 Posts

If you've built a single speed around a frame with dropouts with no fore/aft adjustability, you know how hard it can be to find that magic gear. Now, add in a narrow/wide chainring. Oof. But, I think I got it. My question is about chain tension.

The chain has some slight sag. But, I can't it off the sprocket or chainring without "helping" it, i.e., pushing it to the side while pedaling - same method as when the chains are tight. I've run looser without issues. But, figured I'd see what you guys think. Any issues from what you can see?

Last edited by Zaskar; 04-27-23 at 06:34 AM.
Likes For Zaskar:
Old 04-27-23, 06:51 AM
IAmSam

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 273 Times in 136 Posts
Track slack, amirite?

What size chain do you use on a narrow-wide ring anyway? You obviously know the ins and outs of conversion and are willing to live without being able to adjust your chain tension but if it exists for your size chain a single half-link can be a wonderful help in situations like yours. Good luck - have fun...
Old 04-27-23, 07:48 AM
Zaskar

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 156 Posts
Track slack - wow. Yeah, that's what makes me think I'm fine. 2000 watts with two extra links may work on the track, but seems like it's a bunnyhopped pothole away from flying off. A single speed sprocket (deep compared to a multi-speed cog), a well-aligned chain should keep even a very loose chain in place. The narrow/wide is supposed to take it even further. But, they're not compatible with half-links since it creates a "narrow-narrow" link.
Old 04-27-23, 09:32 AM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 763 Times in 431 Posts
Originally Posted by Zaskar
Track slack - wow. Yeah, that's what makes me think I'm fine. 2000 watts with two extra links may work on the track, but seems like it's a bunnyhopped pothole away from flying off. A single speed sprocket (deep compared to a multi-speed cog), a well-aligned chain should keep even a very loose chain in place. The narrow/wide is supposed to take it even further. But, they're not compatible with half-links since it creates a "narrow-narrow" link.
I've run my singlespeed chains a lot looser than that, and never had one fall off. As to using a half link with a narrow/wide chainring, it will work OK with a 1/8" wide chain, since the narrow link side will still be wider than the wide tooth on the narrow/wide chainring. Also, narrow/wide chainrings are really only needed on multi-speed setups, where the chain is not straight, and is constantly trying to derail.

Taking it a step further, if it were me, I would ditch the NW chainring, replace it with a standard 3/32" chainring with no ramps or twisted teeth and add a 3/32" half-link. I am assuming you are currently using a 3/32" chain and your freewheel has a 3/32" cog.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me

Last edited by TejanoTrackie; 04-27-23 at 09:42 AM.