Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Bar end shifter modification

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 05-20-23, 07:40 AM
arsprod 

Bikes: Fairdale Weekender Drop, Motobecane 29LTD, Cannondale H400, Basso Coral

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts

I recently swapped out my 10 speed cassette to get lower gearing. Now my old 9 speed friction shifter won't clear the entire range (doesn't get to highest gears). Before I buy a replacement shifter I'm wondering if it's possible to modify the old one to get more cable range.
Old 05-20-23, 07:55 AM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 818 Post(s)
Liked 1,219 Times in 643 Posts
Originally Posted by arsprod
I recently swapped out my 10 speed cassette to get lower gearing. Now my old 9 speed friction shifter won't clear the entire range (doesn't get to highest gears). Before I buy a replacement shifter I'm wondering if it's possible to modify the old one to get more cable range.
There is not enough info here to properly answer your question, we'd need at least part / model numbers and more detail.

when you say you "swapped out the cassette" what did you swap it out in favor of ? another 10 speed cassette with higher tooth count ?

However - you might be right, your old shifter probably does not have the cable take up range to reach the low gears on the large rear cog.

make sure the cable is properly adjusted when on the small cog so as to give you the maximum cable take up range.

there is a modification that might work. But need more info first so as to prevent 100+ "helpful" posts based on massive speculation.

help us, help you

/markp
Likes For mpetry912:
Old 05-20-23, 08:04 AM
arsprod 

Originally Posted by mpetry912
There is not enough info here to properly answer your question, we'd need at least part / model numbers and more detail.

when you say you "swapped out the cassette" what did you swap it out in favor of ? another 10 speed cassette with higher tooth count ?

However - you might be right, your old shifter probably does not have the cable take up range to reach the low gears on the large rear cog.

make sure the cable is properly adjusted when on the small cog so as to give you the maximum cable take up range.

there is a modification that might work. But need more info first so as to prevent 100+ "helpful" posts based on massive speculation.

help us, help you

/markp
Fair enough! Yes, swapped 10 speed cassette with another 10 speed going from 38 lowest gear to 46. If I adjust for highest gear (11) I don't have enough pull to get to the 46. I don't really care about the highest gears so it's now adjusted to be able to reach the 46. Seems like a few mm more would get me there!
Old 05-20-23, 08:11 AM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Fair enough! Yes, swapped 10 speed cassette with another 10 speed going from 38 lowest gear to 46. If I adjust for highest gear (11) I don't have enough pull to get to the 46. I don't really care about the highest gears so it's now adjusted to be able to reach the 46. Seems like a few mm more would get me there!
Alright, so here is a hack. I will prolly be banned from the forum for posting this but here's what you can do. 36 to 46 is a big jump and you need a little more cable pull.

Take your shifter and carefully observe where the cable is on the little track on the lever's take up drum. Mark with sharpie.

then mix up some epoxy or JB weld and put a little dab right at that spot where the lever goes to the low gear position. Use a toothpick to apply it. Doing this gives you a couple extra mm of take up right at the end of the lever travel. Shape with a small file if necessary.

Interested to know if this works for you.

/markp
Old 05-20-23, 08:13 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3634 Post(s)
Liked 5,310 Times in 2,698 Posts
What happens if you bypass the shifter and just pull the cable? That would isolate a shifter issue from any other problem.
Old 05-20-23, 08:19 AM
arsprod 

Alright, so here is a hack. I will prolly be banned from the forum for posting this but here's what you can do. 36 to 46 is a big jump and you need a little more cable pull.

Take your shifter and carefully observe where the cable is on the little track on the lever's take up drum. Mark with sharpie.

then mix up some epoxy or JB weld and put a little dab right at that spot where the lever goes to the low gear position. Use a toothpick to apply it. Doing this gives you a couple extra mm of take up right at the end of the lever travel. Shape with a small file if necessary.

/markp
Remarkably simple and brilliant! Stay tuned
Old 05-20-23, 08:20 AM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
What happens if you bypass the shifter and just pull the cable? That would isolate a shifter issue from any other problem.
Its a good thought.

I was assuming that the limit screws were properly adjusted.

Check the tire pressure too :-)

/markp
Likes For mpetry912:
Old 05-20-23, 08:25 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Also, IIRC a 10 speed cassette is 1mm narrower than a 9 speed so cable pull should be adequate.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 05-20-23, 08:28 AM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Remarkably simple and brilliant! Stay tuned
as stated above, make absolutely sure that the derailleur limit screws are adjusted so that it actually will shift onto that low gear.

and adjust the cable properly before you add your epoxy "bump"

get all the pieces working in your favor.

No warranty expressed or implied.

/markp
Old 05-20-23, 08:40 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts

/markp
I like the simplicity and that it is reversible. I was thinking that increasing the drum diameter by winding thin wire on it to increase the cable pull overall; same basic concept
Old 05-20-23, 08:46 AM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
I like the simplicity and that it is reversible. I was thinking that increasing the drum diameter by winding thin wire on it to increase the cable pull overall; same basic concept
Yes increasing the drum diameter is the idea, gives more cable takeup. The epoxy blob gives it a little push right at the end of lever travel.

Campagnolo made a lever (shown below) that had a large(r) drum on the RH lever for more cable take up - presumeably for wide range setups.

This is a rare part.

/markp

Old 05-20-23, 09:50 AM
brooklyn_bike

Bikes: 3Rensho SuperRecord Export, Bridgestones MB1 RB1 XO2, Colnago Super, Medici GranTurismo, Schwinn Paramount, Olmo Competition, Raleigh Portage, Miyata 1000, Stumpjumper, Lotus Competition, Nishiki Maxima, Panasonic DX6000, Zeus Criterium

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 31 Posts
some guys shave the top of the barend pod to allow the shifter to pull further up. i found this other post on google groups where they friction fit a brass bar into the channel of the barend shifter to increase the diameter for more pull ( they modified both barendshifters and thumbshifters) :

Old 05-20-23, 10:12 AM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2151 Post(s)
Liked 3,380 Times in 1,198 Posts
A properly adjusted 9 speed (or for that matter, 8 speed) friction shifter should be easily able to shift a ten speed cassette, as it is not wider.
Something is not adjusted properly.
Did you install an RD capable of shifting a cog that large? If not, that or other suggestions above may be your issue.
Old 05-20-23, 10:35 AM
Kontact

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4260 Post(s)
Liked 1,456 Times in 949 Posts
DON'T MODIFY YOUR SHIFTER!

If it shifted 10 speed before, changing to a different cog size should not change that. The diameter of the cogs has nothing to do with lateral movement of the derailleur and the amount of cable needed to do so.

Did you change derailleurs?
Likes For Kontact:
Old 05-20-23, 11:13 AM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts
a 10 sp. cassette has the SAME STACK HEIGHT as a 9 sp. Cassette.. what is happening is the Derailleur cage is not able to freely push the chain toward the Low gear position because it's now hitting the larger gear's face.

you need to install a hanger extension (AKA: Wolf Tooth) and check your cable for any slack when it's in the Smallest, high gear position, then adjust that cable tension to eliminate any slack whatsoever... the derailleur should move as soon as the shifter is moved from the "High Gear" position...

quit thinking the shifter is the issue... look at what was CHANGED (low gear cog diameter/tooth count) and it's relationship to the DERAILLEUR.

Last edited by maddog34; 05-20-23 at 11:18 AM.
Likes For maddog34:
Old 05-20-23, 11:15 AM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked 442 Times in 303 Posts
Double check the limit screws before modifying the shifter.
Old 05-21-23, 03:58 PM
grindher

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
More chain?
Old 05-22-23, 06:38 AM
arsprod 

Update: didn't work. These were all great ideas but neither the JB weld spot or grinding back the shifter pod gives enough cable pull. I did fail to mention that when I replaced the cassette I also replaced the derailleur with a long cage (don't beat me up). I threw in the towel and ordered a microshift 10 speed shifter. These were all great ideas, thanks!
Old 05-22-23, 06:45 AM
Kontact

Update: didn't work. These were all great ideas but neither the JB weld spot or grinding back the shifter pod gives enough cable pull. I did fail to mention that when I replaced the cassette I also replaced the derailleur with a long cage (don't beat me up). I threw in the towel and ordered a microshift 10 speed shifter. These were all great ideas, thanks!
That probably won't work either.

You probably have one of the newer "11 speed" rear derailleurs that require much more cable pull than older ones. That 10 speed Microshift is going to have the exact same shape as your current shifter, and the exact same problem. For those shifters you need to stick with derailleurs based on Shimano road 6-10 or mtb 6-9 speed.

This is why I asked if you changed derailleurs.
Old 05-22-23, 06:54 AM
arsprod 

Originally Posted by Kontact
That probably won't work either.

You probably have one of the newer "11 speed" rear derailleurs that require much more cable pull than older ones. That 10 speed Microshift is going to have the exact same shape as your current shifter, and the exact same problem. For those shifters you need to stick with derailleurs based on Shimano road 6-10 or mtb 6-9 speed.

This is why I asked if you changed derailleurs.
Yep, Shimano RD-M5120, we'll see!
Old 05-22-23, 06:57 AM
Kontact

Yep, Shimano RD-M5120, we'll see!
Yeah, it won't work.

You posted "I replaced my cassette and now my shifter won't work," but you actually should have said "I replaced my rear derailleur and now my shifter won't work." Because that's what happened.
Likes For Kontact:
Old 05-22-23, 07:13 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Old 05-22-23, 08:04 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1792 Post(s)
Liked 1,671 Times in 955 Posts
I did fail to mention that when I replaced the cassette I also replaced the derailleur with a long cage (don't beat me up). I threw in the towel and ordered a microshift 10 speed shifter. These were all great ideas, thanks!
This is why you are having problems. The new cassette is not the cause of your difficulties. Unless the Microsoft shifter you ordered is compatible with the longer cable pull requirements of Shimano Dynasys rear derailleurs your problem will persist
Old 05-22-23, 08:40 AM
Kontact

Originally Posted by alcjphil
This is why you are having problems. The new cassette is not the cause of your difficulties. Unless the Microsoft shifter you ordered is compatible with the longer cable pull requirements of Shimano Dynasys rear derailleurs your problem will persist
It isn't.
Old 05-22-23, 09:25 AM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Oh.

forgot to tell you I put a new dee-railer on there too.

23 replies to an incomplete problem statement

what a waste of time

don't forget to check the air in the tires.

/markp
Likes For mpetry912:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.