Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Who is the writer of the The Secret Cyclist: Real Life as a Rider in the Professional

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Who is the writer of the The Secret Cyclist: Real Life as a Rider in the Professional

Old 05-22-23, 01:04 AM
Specway

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

what do you think?
he have kids, he finished more times TDF and giro in top 10, andt its all what i know..
he is "older" or retired
Old 05-24-23, 12:43 PM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 815 Post(s)
Liked 1,646 Times in 776 Posts
Anon Ymous.
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 05-24-23, 02:13 PM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 801 Times in 390 Posts
ChatGPT
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera
Likes For Fahrenheit531:
Old 05-24-23, 03:34 PM
tempocyclist

Bikes: 2002 Trek 5200 (US POSTAL), 2020 Canyon Aeroad SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 679 Times in 327 Posts
A more important question: Is the book worth a read?
Old 07-31-23, 05:42 PM
FestJoe

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think I got it

Originally Posted by Specway
what do you think?
he have kids, he finished more times TDF and giro in top 10, andt its all what i know..
he is "older" or retired
Hi
Pretty sure I got (so spoiler alert for reading along)

If we cross check lists of riders who participated both in the Giro 2018 and the Tour 2018 (the rider participated in these), are over 29 years (they are talking a lot about retirement soon), did not participate in Tour de Romandie 2018 (they said they didn't), and finish in top 10 in both the la Vuelta and the Tour (says in the book cover). That leaves us with only two riders: Chris Froome and Robert Gesink.

​​​​​​And due to the fact that he likes Trappist beers, doesn't live in Monaco, trains the old fashioned way, and doesn't like power meters, I think the secret cyclist might be Robert Gesink.
​​​​​​

Old 08-01-23, 03:08 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2493 Post(s)
Liked 737 Times in 521 Posts
Originally Posted by FestJoe
Hi
Pretty sure I got (so spoiler alert for reading along)​
I would have made them work for it a little, dude. Well, maybe we can entertain ourselves wondering who 'you' are instead? Spoiler alert, I got nothing ...
Old 08-01-23, 03:21 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4384 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 2,981 Posts
Hi

If we cross check lists of riders who participated both in the Giro 2018 and the Tour 2018 (the rider participated in these), are over 29 years (they are talking a lot about retirement soon), did not participate in Tour de Romandie 2018 (they said they didn't), and finish in top 10 in both the la Vuelta and the Tour (says in the book cover). That leaves us with only two riders: Chris Froome and Robert Gesink.

​​​​​​And due to the fact that he likes Trappist beers, doesn't live in Monaco, trains the old fashioned way, and doesn't like power meters, I think the secret cyclist might be Robert Gesink.
​​​​​​

This is quite compelling evidence presuming there are only 2 riders who qualify. If so I agree it would be unlikely to be Froome. Too famous to be motivated and already has his own series of books.
Old 04-13-24, 03:34 AM
MilesMG

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hi

​​​​​​

Perhaps he just wants to gain more popularity by emphasizing his participation in those races... Doesn't it seem to you that this book resembles a gimmicky nonfiction, often written by those who haven't achieved significant success in business? I'm really frustrated with books and courses on business authored by people who make the most money by selling business courses...

I haven't read this book, but based on the reviews, it seems like it's not very good. Could you please advise if it's worth spending money on?