Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What it means to be a "cyclist"

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

What it means to be a "cyclist"

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-23, 06:05 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2479 Post(s)
Liked 2,947 Times in 1,673 Posts
Originally Posted by Erzulis Boat
Awesome! I can put myself into an "out-group", and claim to be at the risk of violence. I will now join the conversation of perpetual victimhood with my sister-in-law!
Definitely. Cyclists constitute the last remaining group whose lives can be threatened in social media, followed by swarms of posters trying to outdo each other with colorful descriptions of how they'd like to go about killing all the cyclists they see on the road.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 05-22-23, 06:07 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,017 Times in 571 Posts
Glad I don't get exposure to that sort of social media. This forum is as social as I get.
Likes For jon c.:
Old 05-22-23, 06:09 PM
Trakhak

Originally Posted by daihard
I agree with jon c. There are lots of people in the world who use bicycles as a means of transport. For them, bicycles are just tools to help them get around, just like cars are for most people in the US. The term "cyclist" doesn't describe those people, IMO.
Again, how you see them or how they see themselves doesn't matter. If someone's on the road on a bike, they'll inconvenience someone at some point, or at least they'll be thought to be in the way, at which point they're lumped in with all the other cyclists as a pest that doesn't belong on the road.

By the way, I can never figure out the point of threads like this, where people attempt to drive a wedge between different groups of bike users. Sooner or later, "Lycra-clad Lance wannabes" is going to come up and people will start telling each other off. To what purpose?
Old 05-22-23, 06:12 PM
daihard 
Just a person on bike

Bikes: 2015 Trek 1.1, 2021 Specialized Roubaix, 2022 Tern HSD S+

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
Again, how you see them or how they see themselves doesn't matter. If someone's on the road on a bike, they'll inconvenience someone at some point, or at least they'll be thought to be in the way, at which point they're lumped in with all the other cyclists as a pest that doesn't belong on the road.
That may be the status quo in most North American cities. I would like to change that. That's part of the reason i volunteer for a ped/bike safety advocacy group, such as Seattle Neighborhood Greenways, to advocate for safer streets for all.

The value of your life doesn't change based on the way you travel. - Dawn Schellenberg (SDOT)
Old 05-22-23, 06:25 PM
rc5781

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
Why do people have a negative connotation toward "cyclists"? The term "cyclist" typically refers to a road biker in full garb who thinks they're competing in the Tour De France every ride, who are unwillingly to unclip from their pedals at all costs, even if it means stopping cars with a green light at a crosswalk, who screech by at full speed between me and a pedestrian as I'm passing a pedestrian on a trail from the left side, inches away from both of us, who for whatever reason just can't get bring themselves to downshift.
Old 05-22-23, 06:32 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3897 Post(s)
Liked 4,828 Times in 2,228 Posts
I ride a road bike regularly = cyclist
I ride a mountain bike infrequently = mountain biker?

Call me a cycler, or a bicyclist, or use my pronoun 'hey you!', just don't call me a biker (now that's a slur!)

What others think of me or call me is beneath concerning. It's their problem, not mine.

Last edited by Wildwood; 05-22-23 at 06:51 PM.
Old 05-22-23, 06:43 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2566 Post(s)
Liked 5,599 Times in 2,906 Posts

Likes For rsbob:
Old 05-22-23, 07:13 PM
Trakhak

Originally Posted by rc5781
Why do people have a negative connotation toward "cyclists"? The term "cyclist" typically refers to a road biker in full garb who thinks they're competing in the Tour De France every ride, who are unwillingly to unclip from their pedals at all costs, even if it means stopping cars with a green light at a crosswalk, who screech by at full speed between me and a pedestrian as I'm passing a pedestrian on a trail from the left side, inches away from both of us, who for whatever reason just can't get bring themselves to downshift.
And there it is, marginalizing of the Lycra-clad rider in favor of the virtuous everyday rider, exactly as I predicted in post 28.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 05-22-23, 07:17 PM
rc5781

Originally Posted by Trakhak
And there it is, marginalizing of the Lycra-clad rider in favor of the virtuous everyday rider, exactly as I predicted in post 28.
I'll give in a bit here because the the very negative cyclists do stand out more and the many cool "cyclists" I pass on a daily basis go unnoticed...
Old 05-22-23, 07:24 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4332 Post(s)
Liked 3,956 Times in 2,644 Posts
Yes if you use it as an attack against others and only see through a narrow mind from seemingly maybe one really bad experience with an arse then of course. However the definition is: a person who rides a bicycle.

Simple as that if you don't like bicycles and those who ride them, this is not a forum for you as that is the entire crux of the forum. Yes there are people who ride bicycles who also happen to be arses in fact there are people who do any number of things that are also arses. There are doctors and nurses who are arses as well as teachers and firefighters and so on and so forth. Any number of human beings can be arses but it doesn't change the definition of words like cyclist which means a person who rides a bicycle and conflating the two is not healthy.
Old 05-22-23, 07:27 PM
rc5781

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Yes if you use it as an attack against others and only see through a narrow mind from seemingly maybe one really bad experience with an arse then of course. However the definition is: a person who rides a bicycle.

Simple as that if you don't like bicycles and those who ride them, this is not a forum for you as that is the entire crux of the forum. Yes there are people who ride bicycles who also happen to be arses in fact there are people who do any number of things that are also arses. There are doctors and nurses who are arses as well as teachers and firefighters and so on and so forth. Any number of human beings can be arses but it doesn't change the definition of words like cyclist which means a person who rides a bicycle and conflating the two is not healthy.
I posted like 7 mins ago, you probably didn't see it:
I'll give in a bit here because the the very negative cyclists do stand out more and the many cool "cyclists" I pass on a daily basis go unnoticed...
Old 05-22-23, 07:36 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4332 Post(s)
Liked 3,956 Times in 2,644 Posts
I posted like 7 mins ago, you probably didn't see it:
What I said still does stand. You put "cyclists" in quotes in the second part as if somehow the people you pass daily aren't cyclists but the "very negative" cyclists are the real ones when again that definition is: a person who rides a bicycle.

If you ride a bicycle you are a cyclist end of discussion on that one. If you want to have a separate discussion on some people who ride bicycles suck it is a simple fact of humanity that many fellow humans just suck, it might be the way they are raised, it might have been something that happened to them or it might just be how they were born or maybe it is just how we perceive them. So many factors that could be involved. We also may just see one little bit of bad behavior and say well they are bad cyclists when they might have been doing something for a reason not intending to be negative but maybe to keep themselves or others safe or because they had to for some other reason.

I know recently when doing our store to store transfer on a fully loaded slightly unstable cargo bike with trailer I ran quite a few lights and did some stuff I would not normally do only because if I stopped I would have a difficult time restarting and it would be rather unsafe for me. Yeah maybe I would have seemed an arse but the bike was clearly loaded so at least people could see why I did what I did but in some cases you might not know.
Old 05-22-23, 07:52 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,493 Times in 7,316 Posts
Didn’t we go through this recently?

Likes For indyfabz:
Old 05-22-23, 07:53 PM
rc5781

Originally Posted by veganbikes
What I said still does stand. You put "cyclists" in quotes in the second part as if somehow the people you pass daily aren't cyclists but the "very negative"
Text can be very misleading online due to lack of intonation. You interpreted that incorrectly from me. The fact that I said "cool cyclists" should have indicated that I was not being negative. The majority of cyclists I run into, are in fact cool human beings. I was just pointing out that the A-holes really stand out disproportionately.
Old 05-22-23, 08:04 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
All golfers are golfers, most are hackers and a few are players. Cyclists are players.
Old 05-22-23, 08:18 PM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 249 Posts
Originally Posted by daihard
I agree with jon c. There are lots of people in the world who use bicycles as a means of transport. For them, bicycles are just tools to help them get around, just like cars are for most people in the US. The term "cyclist" doesn't describe those people, IMO.
Why not? They're using a bicycle.

FWIW, I often use my feet as a means of transport. Other people walk for recreation. Some people compete with their feet. We are all pedestrians.

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 05-22-23, 08:21 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
I'm not some wimpy cyclist, I'm a goddam cyclone.
Old 05-22-23, 08:23 PM
jon c. 

Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,017 Times in 571 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
All golfers are golfers, most are hackers and a few are players. Cyclists are players.
It was probably 50 years ago that I read a column in one of the major golf publications on the difference between "golfers" and people who play golf. The semantics change but there has always been a distinction made between those who are aficionados of a sport or activity and those who participate on a more casual basis.

Was such an opinion divisive to the golfing population? I can't see that it made much difference.

I'm an avid golfer and cyclist. But I'm a high handicapper and a slow roadie. In golf, I play with folks at my own level. And I ride alone. So I still have a lot of good days at both.
Old 05-22-23, 08:25 PM
daihard 
Just a person on bike

Originally Posted by bbbean

FWIW, I often use my feet as a means of transport. Other people walk for recreation. Some people compete with their feet. We are all pedestrians.
That's my personal observation. And that's why I've mentioned above that the term "cyclist" has a connotation that's not present in the typical dictionary definition.

You may know that the Dutch language has two words for the "cyclists." People who ride bikes for transport, utility and other daily activities are "fietsers.," and those who ride bikes for sport/recreation/fitness are "wielrenners." My experience is that the term "cyclists" describes the "wielrenners" much more than it does "fietsers." YMMV

The value of your life doesn't change based on the way you travel. - Dawn Schellenberg (SDOT)
Old 05-22-23, 09:05 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Quoted: 4926 Post(s)
Liked 8,057 Times in 3,809 Posts
Originally Posted by bbbean

But are you a “walker”? As you’re waking from place to place, and you need to hurry across a street (for example) to the point where you run for a few steps, does that make you a “runner”? The common connotation for those kinds of terms is that those folks are more than just casual participants. Yes, someone who runs a few steps is technically a runner for that brief period of time, but would be unlikely to consider themselves a “runner” in terms of it being part of their identity.
Old 05-22-23, 09:16 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Quoted: 4926 Post(s)
Liked 8,057 Times in 3,809 Posts
The term "cyclist" typically refers to a road biker in full garb who thinks they're competing in the Tour De France every ride…
Thank you for announcing that you have no idea what you’re talking about.
Old 05-22-23, 09:29 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Does our housing situation factor in at all? What about if we have a pull behind trailer, or push our bikes on occasion?
Likes For seypat:
Old 05-22-23, 09:40 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,493 Times in 7,316 Posts
https://www.bikeforums.net/general-c...oeconomic.html
Old 05-22-23, 10:06 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
I don't think I have ever felt dehumanized due to being called a cyclist.

Someone who golf's isn't dehumanized when they are called a golfer.
Someone who swims isn't dehumanized when they are called a swimmer
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 05-22-23, 10:58 PM
daihard 
Just a person on bike

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
I don't think I have ever felt dehumanized due to being called a cyclist.

Someone who golf's isn't dehumanized when they are called a golfer.
Someone who swims isn't dehumanized when they are called a swimmer
Out of curiosity, did you watch the video in the OP?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.