Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

2" hitch adapter for 1.25" bike rack

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-23, 07:05 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts

anyone using one? got pics? any suggestions for a good one?

my last car had a 1.25" hitch, which fit my 2 bike racks well. they each have their own threaded locking bolts

replaced the car & getting a 2" hitch installed this weekend, so I'll have to use an adapter. I think I have one in the basement somewhere. I believe it is a sleeve style & not an extension style. hoping all the holes line up, etc
Old 05-24-23, 07:38 AM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 1,008 Posts
I have a buddy that has one of these. Works very well and does not have any rocking. The locking bolt is only off by about a 1/3 of an inch, so the front of the sleeve does not sit too far outside the receiver.

https://www.amazon.com/Rage-Powerspo.../dp/B009NUY4PU

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 05-24-23, 07:47 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Originally Posted by jaxgtr
I have a buddy that has one of these. Works very well and does not have any rocking. The locking bolt is only off by about a 1/3 of an inch, so the front of the sleeve does not sit too far outside the receiver.

https://www.amazon.com/Rage-Powerspo.../dp/B009NUY4PU
ok, thank you so much!
Old 05-24-23, 12:42 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1086 Post(s)
Liked 859 Times in 488 Posts
Kuat, and I’m sure others, have a system that tightens down the rack to avoid the rocking. The threaded bolt style still rock, just a little less than with a hitch pin.

I don’t think this affects safety but it is annoying.

So if you do get one of those sleeves from the above post, don’t be surprised if it rocks a little.

I’m going the opposite direction, since my rack is 2”. I want to be able to swap between my vehicles. I’ve ordered an adapter and this thing https://a.co/d/ixy5f8x

It’ll basically lock my adapter in place. I’ll be using mine from the hitch to the adapter. I think you could use it from your hitch to the rack (with adapter sleeve inside) if your square pipe section is steel (probably). You will lose the ability to quickly remove the rack, if that matters to you.
Likes For rosefarts:
Old 05-24-23, 05:43 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 1,008 Posts
Originally Posted by rosefarts
Kuat, and I’m sure others, have a system that tightens down the rack to avoid the rocking. The threaded bolt style still rock, just a little less than with a hitch pin.

I don’t think this affects safety but it is annoying.

So if you do get one of those sleeves from the above post, don’t be surprised if it rocks a little.

I’m going the opposite direction, since my rack is 2”. I want to be able to swap between my vehicles. I’ve ordered an adapter and this thing https://a.co/d/ixy5f8x

It’ll basically lock my adapter in place. I’ll be using mine from the hitch to the adapter. I think you could use it from your hitch to the rack (with adapter sleeve inside) if your square pipe section is steel (probably). You will lose the ability to quickly remove the rack, if that matters to you.
I had one of those when I had a 1.25" rack and it worked very well and removed all rocking I had. The sleeve I mentioned above, as mentioned, will have some looseness, but in his receiver, it was very minimal, I was actually surprised.

Old 05-24-23, 06:06 PM
rumrunn6

thank you

my threaded locking bolts work very well. there is no wobble or rattle at the hitch
  • 1 threads directly into the solid Swagman shank
  • 1 uses a spring loaded nut inserted into the hollow shank on my Allen rack
neither wobbles or rattles at the hitch

however, both racks have some movement at their elbow, so I stop that with curt stabilizer straps

using a generic hitch pin, w/ a hitch rack, is just dumb. I don't know why rack manufacturers like Allen, leave their customers to find their own solutions

anyway, back to why I started this thread: 1.25" to 2" adapters

I found (2) 1.25" to 2" adapters in my basement
  1. 1 is for my Swagman Titan, so that rack should be all set
  2. the other seems to be a generic sleeve, that maybe I got w/ some other used rack, which I no longer have

my small Allen rack (522rr) came w/ an adapter, but I couldn't find it, so I ordered a new one directly from the manufacturer
https://allen.bike/products/hitch-rack-filler-plate

a cpl pics for now,
Swagman shank w/ it's own dedicated adapter & a threaded locking bolt

fwiw, related, is my hitch cargo carrier tray, showing it's threaded bolt hole. haven't used it in a while, if I do needed it I'll have to figure out which adapter works best

the thing I ordered, an Allen brand, Spare Part 532FP, specifically for my little rack

the threaded locking bolt that I use on my small Allen rack. I used it w/o the locking end cap. as mentioned above the spring loaded nut is inserted into hollow shanks & lined up w/ whatever hole one is using

they also make this version w/o a locking cap
Let's Go Aero (SHP 2081) Class I Lockable Silent Hitch Pin

https://www.amazon.com/Lets-Go-Aero-...e%2C173&sr=1-8

this is what mine looks like, inside the Allen 522rr rack shank

Last edited by rumrunn6; 05-24-23 at 06:58 PM.
Old 05-25-23, 07:23 AM
rumrunn6

seems like every 1.25" bike rack has their own dedicated 2" adapter. was interesting watching the customer video for this
HAUL-MASTER Two Bike Hitch Mount Bike Rack from Harbor Freight
https://www.harborfreight.com/two-bi...ack-63924.html

& if I don't like using my adapters, it's nice to know I can get a light, inexpensive 2" rack w/ folding arms, like this
LITE-WAY 2” Trailer Hitch Bicycle Rack
https://www.amazon.com/LITE-WAY-2-Bi...ef_=nav_signin

for my own refernce, never really cared for my 1.25" Swagman Titan 4 bike rack. it weighs a ton & the elbow always had an annoying wiggle (not at the hitch), which their customer service dept. was never able to resolve. I resolved it w/ a cpl Curt stability straps. don't know if I'll ever need a 4 bike rack again, now that my adults kids don't live at home anymore & family vacations now seem to be using 2 cars anyway ...

Last edited by rumrunn6; 05-25-23 at 07:35 AM.
Old 05-25-23, 05:54 PM
rumrunn6

got aggressive w/ a hard target search in my basement & turned up 3 more adapters!
1 appears to be the same as what I ordered, except that the 2 holes don't line up with 2 holes in the rack. so maybe there was a small change in design. this one is not brand new as if it came w/ my current rack. I must have acquired it w/ the last rack. I was rear ended and had to replace the rack. so, hoping the new rack will accept the new adapter I ordered
but I never used an adapter, so I don't know for sure where this one came from
I suppose I can use the adapter I have w/o the set screw to hold it all together, so long as I have everything lined up, the 1 threaded locking bolt might be enough (but I wonder if I'll need a longer one, I do have others ...)

Allen rack shank

the one on the far left is plastic!

bad pic of another adapter that is basically a metal sleeve, with an inside 1.25" insert at one end. it's all welded together

gonna have to get the hitch installed, before experimenting w/ what I have & what is on order

Last edited by rumrunn6; 05-25-23 at 07:10 PM.
Old 05-26-23, 06:00 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 817 Post(s)
Liked 1,651 Times in 778 Posts
I've got this adapter that came with my rack. Not going to use it. It's solid aluminum. If you think you can use it, just let me know - yours for the price of shipping.

Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 05-26-23, 07:01 AM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by Bald Paul
I've got this adapter that came with my rack. Not going to use it. It's solid aluminum. If you think you can use it, just let me know - yours for the price of shipping.
oh thank you so much for the offer & taking the time to take & share the pics. I'll let you know
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 05-26-23, 07:21 PM
VegasJen

Quoted: 861 Post(s)
Liked 553 Times in 299 Posts
Originally Posted by Bald Paul

If the OP doesn't take it, I'm interested.

Last year I bought a Reese Explore batwing style carrier. It's been sitting in my garage for months. Just mounted it yesterday. It has a 2" adapter that is just two pieces of angle iron. But it's so cheap, they're not even as long as the 1.25" shank. They don't bolt together or anything. The only thing that holds them in place is when the pin goes through. The whole rack moves all over the place. Seriously disappointing. I would not recommend this rack at all.
Likes For VegasJen:
Old 05-27-23, 05:27 AM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by VegasJen

Last year I bought a Reese Explore batwing style carrier. It's been sitting in my garage for months. Just mounted it yesterday. It has a 2" adapter that is just two pieces of angle iron. But it's so cheap, they're not even as long as the 1.25" shank. They don't bolt together or anything. The only thing that holds them in place is when the pin goes through. The whole rack moves all over the place. Seriously disappointing. I would not recommend this rack at all.
up to BP, but I don't need it. I'd offer you one of mine, but I have no idea if any of them would work well

surprised more ppl aren't chiming in about their adapters

fwiw, I found a bunch on Amazon that I bookmarked. but I think if the OEM adapter doesn't work well with it's own brand rack shank, then I'm gonna just a get a rack w/ a 2" shank. anyway these are the ones I bookmarked on Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ALL1W1Y...v_ov_lig_dp_it

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009NUY4PU...v_ov_lig_dp_it

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077D25HQL...v_ov_lig_dp_it

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001J7PC60...v_ov_lig_dp_it

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NPB4V10...v_ov_lig_dp_it

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TC9WZM9...v_ov_lig_dp_it

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074HFSHYD...v_ov_lig_dp_it

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B099WP4MDT...v_ov_lig_dp_it

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07R4YD16B...v_ov_lig_dp_it
Old 05-27-23, 09:44 AM
Bald Paul

Quoted: 817 Post(s)
Liked 1,651 Times in 778 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasJen
Check your PMs.
Old 05-27-23, 07:57 PM
rumrunn6

mission accomplished

didn't receive the adapter that is supposed to match the rack, yet. chose the metal one w/ an open side. positioned it on it's side, so that the open side was facing right, toward the locking bolt, so that my locking bolt could easily reach the nut inside, the rack's shank. I have another w/ an open side, but that one is plastic

might add a larger washer cuz I think the hole in the 2" hitch is 5/8" not 1/2" like I'm used to (w/ the last hitch, which was 1 1/4")

not sure what I'll do w/ the rack's oem adapter when it arrives

Last edited by rumrunn6; 05-28-23 at 05:48 AM.
Old 05-27-23, 11:34 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
anyone using one? got pics? any suggestions for a good one?

my last car had a 1.25" hitch, which fit my 2 bike racks well. they each have their own threaded locking bolts

replaced the car & getting a 2" hitch installed this weekend, so I'll have to use an adapter. I think I have one in the basement somewhere. I believe it is a sleeve style & not an extension style. hoping all the holes line up, etc
Just go to any autoparts store, or eTrailers.com and buy one.
Likes For Camilo:
Old 05-31-23, 04:51 AM
rumrunn6

well, got my Allen adapter & I'll try it out later today, I think. looks like another that I have, which I was not able to use because holes didn't line up & the small set screw didn't mate w/ a threaded hole in the shank. maybe the thread pitch will match up w/ this one

for Allen rack #522rr
Allen adapter part #532FP

Last edited by rumrunn6; 05-31-23 at 07:24 AM.
Old 06-01-23, 07:26 AM
rumrunn6

well, got my Allen adapter & I'll try it out later today, I think. looks like another that I have, which I was not able to use because holes didn't line up & the small set screw didn't mate w/ a threaded hole in the shank. maybe the thread pitch will match up w/ this one
for Allen rack #522rr
Allen adapter part #532FP
not sure what went wrong here
according to the manufacturer's video, this is what it should look like
set screw in the hole at the end of the shank
leaving the large hole available for the hitch pin, or threaded bolt

however, in real life, the holes do not line up, as seen in the video

& why does my shank have a little threaded hole anyway?

already spent too much time trying to figure this out. maybe the original rack didn't come w/ adapter plates? maybe they changed the adapter plates since I got the rack? or maybe the rack came with the adapter I am using, because it seems to work perfectly. I just didn't label the thing in my basement, so I have no memory of where it came from, but it works, so does it matter?

threaded bolt w/ a single lock washer
Old 06-01-23, 07:45 AM
rumrunn6

then I moved on to the larger Swagman Titan
those L plates match up perfectly using it's set screw

(I checked to see if it's plates would work on the Allen rack, but they do not)
checked the fit & w/ it's threaded bolt
works as expected, no rattle or wiggle at the hitch

it does stand out further from the car, but it is what it is, & it's always been like that w/ the 2 previous autos I've used it on
I used Curt bike rack stability straps to eliminate any other movement or worries, so it's all good
btw flipflops make OK knee pads

I believe I've beat this dead horse adequately for now, but one never knows ...

anyway, not running out to buy new racks, that fit a 2" receiver w/o adapters, right now
Old 06-02-23, 08:50 AM
rumrunn6

the larger Swagman Titan
guess it does stand out further, than on the last Cherokee. hmmm ...
Old 08-06-23, 05:42 AM
rumrunn6

gave the larger, heavier Titan rack a real world test w/ 3 bikes a few weeks ago. worked fine. but if I didn't already have 1.25" racks I would def. get 2" racks to avoid the adapters. who needs the extra parts in the equation? glad I use stability straps. more points of contact = more stability & safety