Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Leather handlebar tape for $0.07 per foot

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-23, 03:12 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4678 Post(s)
Liked 5,796 Times in 2,282 Posts

Alright, I made you look. You're cheap, right? This tape is not really leather, but you can take 3/4" twill tape, wrap it on your bars, and apply a few layers of shellac to make it look like leather from 5 feet away. I didn't have any bars to wrap for this thread, so I took a piece of tubing to demonstrate.

You can find 3/4" twill tape online for $0.07-0.08/ foot in at least 16 colors. I just buy the beige, or "natural white" in 50' rolls.

And yes, it doesn't have adhesive backing. No problem, once you apply the shellac it'll be locked in place and will almost assuredly never unroll. If you want to impress people, call it a matrix material.

I've had to apply several layers of shellac to get it to the dark brown color I sometimes shoot for. One morning over my morning cup of joe I looked at what was left in the french press, not enough for another cup, but plenty to do an experiment with. I cut off a piece of my herringbone twill and soaked it in the coffee, then laid it out to dry to get the tape starting off light brown - less shellac needed to get it nice and dark. You can put down a line of rubber cement on the handlebars and let it set up to compensate for the lack of adhesive on the back of the tape. It won't hold for a long time that way, this is just to tack it in place so it doesn't easily unroll if you lose tension while wrapping the bars. The shellac will lock it in place at the end of the process. I use a short piece of adhesive tape to start and wrap from the bottom up. Many people start at the bottom so your hands don't roll the edges of the tape off over time, but with shellac, it really doesn't matter which way you start. For about 40 years I've been pre-wrapping my bars with a slit down the length piece of old inner tube, as I have big paws and standard bar diameter kinda hurts in the way that a too narrow saddle does for my wide behind.

I grabbed some scrap tubing laying around in the Atelier for this experiment, wrapped and twined in the manner of this video. Here's what two coats of shellac looks like on top of the coffee prepped tape.

At this point the surface is a bit rough, the wet shellac raises cotton fibers. If you like your tape "grippy" and the color works for you, try this.

The first coat of shellac soaks into the tape, and will take longer to dry. Subsequent coats will be just on the surface. Adding coats will make it darker and smoother. Here's what it looks like with about 8 coats.

One trick I learned when I was doing a lot of woodworking was to prep hardwoods for water based finishes with a wet cloth, which would raise whatever tiny wood fibers to the surface, knock them down with a fine grit, then apply the water based finish. I'm wondering if one could do that after a couple of coats of shellac on handlebars if you wanted a lighter color with fewer coats to keep the tape tackier vs smoother.

You're probably thinking that it costs more than $0.07 a foot if you add in the shellac and twine. You can find Zinsser shellac in 0.5 pint cans for under $15, or buy shellac flakes in amber or "clear" and make your own with denatured alcohol. I know that you Californian's can't purchase denatured alcohol anymore, but I'm guessing that rubbing alcohol (70% alcohol) would work as well, it'll just take longer to dry in between coats. A roll of twine from the Savings and Loan will set you back $6, enough for a hundred bars or so. Amortize those costs over a couple of bars and you're still saving $$ vs Newbaum's.

You can experiment with the base tape color. Yellow, for example can give you a more golden color with just a few coats of amber shellac. Dark brown, blue, and of course black will be black in just a few coats. Switch to "clear" shellac for lighter colors. Clear shellac actually adds some brown to the tape. If you really want white, Zinsser makes a white primer/sealer. It's too thick for handlebar tape, so cut it with clear shellac about 1 part white, 4 parts clear. The white pigment will wear off on your hands, so add 1-2 coats of clear shellac to seal it in. It'll still look very white.

For those that don't want to go through the fuss of shellac, or prefer the look of raw cotton tape, I'm guessing you could paint rubber cement on the entire length of handlebars that you're applying tape to and finish it off in the manner you normally do. Here's the 16 colors of twill tape I've found online.

Old 05-24-23, 03:51 PM
tgot 

Bikes: 1986 Centurion Ironman, 1997 Trek 2120, Trek T1000

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 206 Times in 119 Posts
Does the shellac'd wrap have any give to it with the tube underneath? Or is it completely rigid at that point?
Old 05-24-23, 03:54 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1744 Post(s)
Liked 1,370 Times in 719 Posts
My hands and wrists ache just looking at any bar tape with shellac over it. Padded cork with gel pads underneath is just about right.
Likes For TiHabanero:
Old 05-24-23, 04:07 PM
imabeliever1

Bikes: Bicycles, Yes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 47 Posts

This is like what you have done. I first wrapped with some old used foam tape. Then wrapped with the same type of cloth. Finished it with twine.
Bought a small can of shellack from big box building supply in amber. Several coats later, here you are. I wear lightly padded gloves and find this to be comfortable. Had a similar setup on a vintage fixed gear of mine and rode it for years.
Likes For imabeliever1:
Old 05-24-23, 04:33 PM
tiger1964 

Bikes: Drysdale/Gitane/Zeus/Masi/Falcon/Palo Alto/Raleigh/Legnano

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 403 Posts
Looks less like leather and more like satay to me... oh, great, now I'm hungry.

Originally Posted by gugie
Here's what it looks like with about 8 coats.

Old 05-24-23, 04:38 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by tgot
Does the shellac'd wrap have any give to it with the tube underneath? Or is it completely rigid at that point?
It really doesn't make it give at all, it's pretty rigid. I use the tube as a cheap way to increase the bar diameter.
Old 05-24-23, 04:51 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by TiHabanero
My hands and wrists ache just looking at any bar tape with shellac over it. Padded cork with gel pads underneath is just about right.
It's kinda like the old saw about what the best shoe is. It's the one that fits, which will be different from one person to the next. You've found what works for you, why change? On the other hand, how much does padded cork + gel pads cost you? My post is just a how to for those wanting a cheap, robust tape solution. For me, I've found that comfort comes with a thicker handlebar and a decent set of gloves with just a bit of padding. I did the Clunker Challenge on a 100km ride with a bike that came with foam grips. It was about as comfortable on my hands as my Big Red; I built up the handlebar diameter on it except in the drops.

Clunker Challenge bike

Big Red with built up bar tape + shellac

The shellac doesn't add to the stiffness vs raw cotton tape.
Old 05-24-23, 04:52 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by tiger1964
Looks less like leather and more like satay to me... oh, great, now I'm hungry.
Another plus! If you're out in the middle of nowhere, you can eat your bar tape. Of course it'll be better if you bring some spicy peanut sauce with you, so add that to your kit.
Old 05-24-23, 05:27 PM
ehcoplex 

Bikes: '38 Schwinn New World, ’69 Peugeot PX-10, '72 Peugeot PX-10, ‘7? Valgan, '78 Raleigh Comp GS, ’79 Holdsworth Pro, ’80 Peugeot TH-8 tandem, '87 Trek 400T, ‘7? Raleigh Sports, ‘7? Raleigh Superbe, ‘6? Hercules

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 1,563 Times in 757 Posts
Aesthetically I love shellacked cotton bar tape (along with the whip tie'd twine), I just wish my aging hands did too....
Old 05-24-23, 07:12 PM
Schweinhund

Bikes: a couple

Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 455 Posts
I know that you Californian's can't purchase denatured alcohol anymore...
We can still get HEET, that's methanol, add it to some ethanol, isn't that what denatured alcohol mostly is?
Old 05-24-23, 07:28 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by Schweinhund
We can still get HEET, that's methanol, add it to some ethanol, isn't that what denatured alcohol mostly is?
Red HEET contains methanol, yellow is mostly Isopropyl alcohol. The red stuff burns with a sooty flame, for camping I use the yellow.

I imagine shellac flakes will dissolve in most any hydrocarbon liquid. A quick lookup on the interwebs tells me that it'll dissolve in water if you add an alkaline agent in it. Anything with water in it will take longer to dry out, but if you're shellacing your bars on a warm day, it probably won't add that much extra time to the process.
Old 05-24-23, 08:04 PM
Schweinhund

Bikes: a couple

Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 455 Posts
Red HEET contains methanol, yellow is mostly Isopropyl alcohol. The red stuff burns with a sooty flame, for camping I use the yellow.

I imagine shellac flakes will dissolve in most any hydrocarbon liquid. A quick lookup on the interwebs tells me that it'll dissolve in water if you add an alkaline agent in it. Anything with water in it will take longer to dry out, but if you're shellacing your bars on a warm day, it probably won't add that much extra time to the process.
Yellow is nearly 100% Methanol
The red is isopropyl
I know this because of the backpacking discussions for camp fuel because it was another thing California eliminated.
Old 05-24-23, 08:22 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,528 Times in 916 Posts
I've long toyed with the idea of braiding or weaving bar tape with wool yarn. Maybe I should experiment.

Just as soon as the cat wakes up and gets off my thigh.
Likes For Korina:
Old 05-24-23, 08:41 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts
Alright, I made you look. You're cheap, right? This tape is not really leather, but you can take 3/4" twill tape, wrap it on your bars, and apply a few layers of shellac to make it look like leather from 5 feet away. I didn't have any bars to wrap for this thread, so I took a piece of tubing to demonstrate.

You can find 3/4" twill tape online for $0.07-0.08/ foot in at least 16 colors. I just buy the beige, or "natural white" in 50' rolls.

And yes, it doesn't have adhesive backing. No problem, once you apply the shellac it'll be locked in place and will almost assuredly never unroll. If you want to impress people, call it a matrix material.

I've had to apply several layers of shellac to get it to the dark brown color I sometimes shoot for. One morning over my morning cup of joe I looked at what was left in the french press, not enough for another cup, but plenty to do an experiment with. I cut off a piece of my herringbone twill and soaked it in the coffee, then laid it out to dry to get the tape starting off light brown - less shellac needed to get it nice and dark. You can put down a line of rubber cement on the handlebars and let it set up to compensate for the lack of adhesive on the back of the tape. It won't hold for a long time that way, this is just to tack it in place so it doesn't easily unroll if you lose tension while wrapping the bars. The shellac will lock it in place at the end of the process. I use a short piece of adhesive tape to start and wrap from the bottom up. Many people start at the bottom so your hands don't roll the edges of the tape off over time, but with shellac, it really doesn't matter which way you start. For about 40 years I've been pre-wrapping my bars with a slit down the length piece of old inner tube, as I have big paws and standard bar diameter kinda hurts in the way that a too narrow saddle does for my wide behind.

I grabbed some scrap tubing laying around in the Atelier for this experiment, wrapped and twined in the manner of this video. Here's what two coats of shellac looks like on top of the coffee prepped tape.

At this point the surface is a bit rough, the wet shellac raises cotton fibers. If you like your tape "grippy" and the color works for you, try this.

The first coat of shellac soaks into the tape, and will take longer to dry. Subsequent coats will be just on the surface. Adding coats will make it darker and smoother. Here's what it looks like with about 8 coats.

One trick I learned when I was doing a lot of woodworking was to prep hardwoods for water based finishes with a wet cloth, which would raise whatever tiny wood fibers to the surface, knock them down with a fine grit, then apply the water based finish. I'm wondering if one could do that after a couple of coats of shellac on handlebars if you wanted a lighter color with fewer coats to keep the tape tackier vs smoother.

You're probably thinking that it costs more than $0.07 a foot if you add in the shellac and twine. You can find Zinsser shellac in 0.5 pint cans for under $15, or buy shellac flakes in amber or "clear" and make your own with denatured alcohol. I know that you Californian's can't purchase denatured alcohol anymore, but I'm guessing that rubbing alcohol (70% alcohol) would work as well, it'll just take longer to dry in between coats. A roll of twine from the Savings and Loan will set you back $6, enough for a hundred bars or so. Amortize those costs over a couple of bars and you're still saving $$ vs Newbaum's.

You can experiment with the base tape color. Yellow, for example can give you a more golden color with just a few coats of amber shellac. Dark brown, blue, and of course black will be black in just a few coats. Switch to "clear" shellac for lighter colors. Clear shellac actually adds some brown to the tape. If you really want white, Zinsser makes a white primer/sealer. It's too thick for handlebar tape, so cut it with clear shellac about 1 part white, 4 parts clear. The white pigment will wear off on your hands, so add 1-2 coats of clear shellac to seal it in. It'll still look very white.

For those that don't want to go through the fuss of shellac, or prefer the look of raw cotton tape, I'm guessing you could paint rubber cement on the entire length of handlebars that you're applying tape to and finish it off in the manner you normally do. Here's the 16 colors of twill tape I've found online.

Or you can buy the real thing!

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/32568...2usa4itemAdapt

​​​​​​​Well almost, but heck only $2
Old 05-24-23, 08:45 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked 3,661 Times in 1,679 Posts
Now I need to start looking at linen ribbon. Seems like it would be fun to try.
Old 05-24-23, 09:10 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by Schweinhund
Yellow is nearly 100% Methanol
The red is isopropyl
I know this because of the backpacking discussions for camp fuel because it was another thing California eliminated.
Yeah, like I said.

So I suppose one can get the HEET available and try it. I'm guessing either will dissolve shellac flakes.

I do know that when I was working in semiconductors in the Bay Area we had to keep track of every drop of isopropyl we used and tried not to use it whenever possible, even though it was the best way to clean the insides of our tools. I should contact the people I still know at that company and see what they're using now.

Last edited by gugie; 05-24-23 at 11:22 PM.
Old 05-24-23, 11:30 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
Or you can buy the real thing!

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/32568...2usa4itemAdapt

Well almost, but heck only $2
Just to be clear for those watching at home: "This luxurious faux leather handlebar strap will make your favorite bike unique."

And it's a bit over $7 with shipping. Delivery from China "promised" by June 15 (3 weeks).

But hey, order some, try it out, and post a thread like I did. I'm sure it's most high quality stuff.

Last edited by gugie; 05-24-23 at 11:36 PM.
Old 05-24-23, 11:37 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,822 Times in 1,541 Posts
Originally Posted by Korina
I've long toyed with the idea of braiding or weaving bar tape with wool yarn. Maybe I should experiment.

Just as soon as the cat wakes up and gets off my thigh.
go for it and take them to the Arcata Farmers Market

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 05-25-23, 01:02 AM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 1,062 Times in 787 Posts
never heard of any fiber arts folk dying cotton (or other natural fiber) with coffee, but dying with black tea is very common.
Wonder what the color difference might be, not to mention the caffeine level!
Also most dyers will use a mordant to "fix" the dye, but might not be required for something you don't ever launder.

Last edited by unworthy1; 05-25-23 at 01:06 AM.
Likes For unworthy1:
Old 05-25-23, 01:09 AM
daviddavieboy

Bikes: I have a few

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 210 Times in 104 Posts
I have been using twill tape for decades. It holds up very well with occasional touch up. On one bike I used some shellac that I tinted white and it still looks great after 5 or 6 years but I do wear gloves when riding.
Likes For daviddavieboy:
Old 05-25-23, 11:07 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by unworthy1
never heard of any fiber arts folk dying cotton (or other natural fiber) with coffee, but dying with black tea is very common.
Also most dyers will use a mordant to "fix" the dye, but might not be required for something you don't ever launder.
Yeah, I was just about to dump out the remains of a french press and thought to use it. The coffee didn't tint the twill as much as I thought it would, but it did make a small difference in the color, and it didn't take as much shellac to make it darker.
Old 05-25-23, 11:19 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,832 Times in 2,229 Posts
Leather is overrated - for bicycles!
Old 05-25-23, 01:35 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 1,022 Times in 665 Posts
Originally Posted by unworthy1
Woodworkers have used coffee as a stain. It is cheap, like free, and you usually won't have to run out to the store for it. One downside to any DIY stain is consistency. But for handlebar tape, that is not a concern. Tea may work better in fibers.
Old 05-25-23, 01:38 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 1,022 Times in 665 Posts
Alright, I made you look. You're cheap, right?
You got the bait, put it on the hook and I bit it. You got me. I'm cheap.
Old 05-25-23, 01:44 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked 3,661 Times in 1,679 Posts
I was out today and looked for linen ribbon. It's not as common as I might have thought.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.