Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Caveman down! (some road rash content)

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Caveman down! (some road rash content)

Old 05-25-23, 09:18 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2287 Post(s)
Liked 2,032 Times in 1,245 Posts
Bad stuff and ouch. Heal fast!
Old 05-25-23, 09:32 PM
Lascauxcaveman 

Bikes: A green one, "Ragleigh," or something.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 629 Times in 355 Posts
Originally Posted by MaxKatt
To give the post value and actually be helpful, could you explain what transpired? Gravel, raccoon, user error?
100% user error.

I think what happened was this: I'm bombing a little too fast downhill on an arterial just where it's flattening out. I raise my left hand to signal a turn onto a slower side street while braking with my right. I think the rear locked up as I'm initiating the turn, which, with only one hand on the bars, got a me a little off balance and overcorrection made it all go to hell from there. Basically, going into the turn too hard; there may have been a little gravel or something, but the street looked pretty clean to me.

Originally Posted by RiddleOfSteel
So sorry to hear, Tim! I broke my elbow and fractured ribs at half that speed--I don't know how professional riders escape it half the time. I guess that's why we're working the jobs we are..

Glad the Brooks is unscuffed. Scuffed saddle edges on an otherwise perfect saddle always bum me out a little.
I know! The one ray of light, here

Originally Posted by Spaghetti Legs
Ouch! Glad the brain bucket is OK. The bruise on the foot might be a little ankle sprain that maybe you’re not noticing so much in the other aches and pains.
Legs and ankles are A-OK, apart from the rash; not even the slightest problem, there. And although this was by far the fastest/hardest crash of my life, my head never touched the ground. My helmet is unscratched.

I've had a couple bell ringers in the last 20 years, but not this time.
● 1971 Grandis SL ● 1972 Lambert Grand Prix frankenbike ● 1972 Raleigh Super Course fixie ● 1973 Nishiki Semi-Pro ● 1979 Motobecane Grand Jubile ●1980 Apollo "Legnano" ● 1984 Peugeot Vagabond ● 1985 Shogun Prairie Breaker ● 1986 Merckx Super Corsa ● 1987 Schwinn Tempo ● 1988 Schwinn Voyageur ● 1989 Bottechia Team ADR replica ● 1990 Cannondale ST600 ● 1993 Technium RT600 ● 1996 Kona Lava Dome ●

Last edited by Lascauxcaveman; 05-26-23 at 12:40 AM.
Likes For Lascauxcaveman:
Old 05-26-23, 12:25 AM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 522 Post(s)
Quoted: 3228 Post(s)
Liked 3,854 Times in 1,436 Posts
Ouch! I can completely sympathize. I crashed at about that speed a bit over two weeks ago. I'm a non-conformist so I broke ribs and a finger instead of a collarbone, but the rest looks very familiar. Strangely, I also managed to bash both brake levers while keeping the rest of the bike safe.

Hiding the gruesome ones, here are some sympathy pics.
Spoiler

Old 05-26-23, 12:54 AM
Lascauxcaveman 

Bikes: A green one, "Ragleigh," or something.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 629 Times in 355 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_K
Ouch! I can completely sympathize. I crashed at about that speed a bit over two weeks ago....
Once again, you and I have much in common. It's like brothers from a different mother.

Hate to see such damage to that pretty face of yours!
● 1971 Grandis SL ● 1972 Lambert Grand Prix frankenbike ● 1972 Raleigh Super Course fixie ● 1973 Nishiki Semi-Pro ● 1979 Motobecane Grand Jubile ●1980 Apollo "Legnano" ● 1984 Peugeot Vagabond ● 1985 Shogun Prairie Breaker ● 1986 Merckx Super Corsa ● 1987 Schwinn Tempo ● 1988 Schwinn Voyageur ● 1989 Bottechia Team ADR replica ● 1990 Cannondale ST600 ● 1993 Technium RT600 ● 1996 Kona Lava Dome ●

Likes For Lascauxcaveman:
Old 05-26-23, 01:21 AM
Andy_K 

Mentioned: 522 Post(s)
Quoted: 3228 Post(s)
Liked 3,854 Times in 1,436 Posts
Originally Posted by Lascauxcaveman
Hate to see such damage to that pretty face of yours!

Most of it has already healed. I had to stay home for a week or so to avoid scaring small children, but now the scabs have fallen off. I may have a few small scars left, but that'll just make me more handsome.
Old 05-26-23, 05:00 AM
Hondo6

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 541 Post(s)
Liked 656 Times in 456 Posts
Glad to hear you're not injured worse than you are. Heal quickly and completely.
Old 05-26-23, 08:01 AM
Dylansbob 
2k miles from the midwest

Bikes: ~'75 Colin Laing, '80s Schwinn SuperSport 650b, ex-Backroads ti project...

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 931 Times in 446 Posts
At least it should be a quick recovery.

I crashed hard 20yrs ago at the velodrome, everyone thought my collarbone would have snapped but instead it was my shoulder labrum that would require surgery. The worst was a very drunk ride home from the bar about 12 yrs ago. After running wide on a fast downhill corner and clipping a curb, somehow I hit just right to embed my left kidney into the viscera and bind up my psoas muscle. After 3yrs of increasingly painfull commuting, I had a fixie skid go horribly wrong as my left leg pulled out of it's socket, tearing that labrum. Damnit, I still need to get that fixed but insurance keeps finding loopholes.
Old 05-26-23, 08:44 AM
Gary12000 

Bikes: '71 Raleigh Inter, '98 Tommasini, '83 Trek 500, 83 Trek 720 '

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 198 Times in 109 Posts
Wow,
it just goes to show for both of you guys, it only takes a brief moment and your on the deck..
I have crashed at about 20mph riding to close to the leader in our pack of two, my wheel got inside his and i held it up for a brief few seconds as i tried to extracate myself, of course the friction on his Tyre made him slow down and the wheels didn't separate and so eventually the front wheel went sideways and i flipped off the bike sideways and skidded to a halt using my side to stop me, i had a compression jersey on and it likely saved me from a good bit of rash but when the bruise came out it was purple and yellow all down my side and hip and upper thigh... all in all its a painful event.

Last year we went to Eroica Cali, my wife and i were there a day early so after i built the bikes i said come on lets go do a couple miles to check the bikes out , she says "are you serious in this 20 mph wind " i'm like "just a little bit then we will feel better about the ride".. as we rode i kept looking back and saying lets just go to that next landmark, i think we got to about 3 miles...i turned around to give her some encouragement, i was clipped in so as she passed me i did a zero MPH turn in the gutter and they have this odd stuff called sand and my front tire just went sideways at zero MPH, i landed on my hip all 210 lbs of my big self.. this was on the Thursday well before the big ride down to the lighthouse. It was painful i couldn't understand how it was such a hard impact at zero mph, anyway luckily only my wife new about it and we just got on with the weekend, which was fantastic btw, anyway as the days went on the bruise on my hip got bigger and bigger, to where i had a knot on it which looked ridiculous, it took ages to go away... note to self don't be a buffoon...
Likes For Gary12000:
Old 05-26-23, 09:07 AM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1554 Post(s)
Liked 1,274 Times in 846 Posts
Good job of sparing the noggin, cochlear device and that saddle! That was pretty high speed not to hit your head!!!

Fortunately no permanent sort of injuries it sounds like.

I've hit the deck with near annual frequency until just a few years ago, the majority of those were on slippery surfaces, often in or near parking lots, running water, painted lines and most recently, some textured rubber (traction???) pads (and with water on my tire?) at the entrance curb/ramp leading into McDonalds. I went down hands-first, my helmeted head heading for the sidewalk, but I managed to just reach the wood chips of a borderless median planter so my head/face/chin/glasses impacted that "padding" with minimal impact harshness. I cleaned up my scuffed face, went in, had my Senior Coffee as if nothing had happened and continued on my morning ride.

The last couple of years have seem me running a 4-6 miles regularly here and there, and this has been at least as dangerous as my concurrent cycling. Tripping on a sidewalk seam or man-hole cover edge has sent me to the sidewalk in Superman form twice now, and nearly done so at least another three times! It seems safer to run in the street!
Old 05-26-23, 10:11 AM
VtwinVince

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 142 Posts
Best of luck with your recovery, us old guys tend to hit the ground harder. Fortunately a collar bone is a better bone to break than some others. I hit black ice while commuting to work at fairly low speed, and had multiple injuries. The soft tissue stuff, including nerve damage, is harder to recover from. But as others have said, get back on that horse ASAP.
Old 05-26-23, 10:19 AM
MooneyBloke

Bikes: Two Peter Mooney customs, a 1980 Trek 510 townie, a Marin Stelvio set up for TTs.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 159 Posts
Ouch! In my case, I think an evil gremlin hates my right clavicle. I've broken it twice coming off the bike, and once again tripping while running across a rutted farm field. In four decades on road bikes, I've tastes tarmac more often than I'd like, but stupid being that I am, I keep coming back for more.
Old 05-26-23, 10:43 AM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 894 Times in 471 Posts
I recommend Polarity Therapy. It re-aligns the energetic structure. Very useful after trauma. There is no manipulation of the physical body. Often done with crystals as an adjunct. It can't hurt to talk with this person: https://www.wildrosehealing.net

Last edited by 1989Pre; 05-26-23 at 11:00 AM.
Old 05-26-23, 10:47 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4670 Post(s)
Liked 5,769 Times in 2,272 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_K
Ouch! I can completely sympathize. I crashed at about that speed a bit over two weeks ago. I'm a non-conformist so I broke ribs and a finger instead of a collarbone, but the rest looks very familiar. Strangely, I also managed to bash both brake levers while keeping the rest of the bike safe.

Hiding the gruesome ones, here are some sympathy pics.
@johnnyace, Andy and I were doing our annual springtime metric century get together and got split up near the turnaround/lunch stop. John and I didn't witness the crash, but saw some volunteers cleaning him up. When we found him, his first thoughts were "how's the bike?" I hunted it down, and noted that the cockpit was pretty dinged up, but the frame was untouched. As this is Andy's Jeff Bock repainted Stella, possibly the prettiest bike in his quiver, this was a real concer.

If you are brave enough to click and expand on the pics, you can see the cuts on his face enhance his pirate like appearance. I think it'll be an improvement.

Last edited by gugie; 05-26-23 at 06:50 PM.
Likes For gugie:
Old 05-26-23, 10:53 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4670 Post(s)
Liked 5,769 Times in 2,272 Posts
Originally Posted by 1989Pre
I recommend Polarity Therapy. It re-aligns the energetic structure. Very useful after trauma. There is no manipulation of the physical body. Often done with crystals as an adjunct.
Old 05-26-23, 11:19 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3876 Post(s)
Liked 4,782 Times in 2,206 Posts
Hey Tim - had not seen a post in so long I thought you had abandoned cycling or were dead. Glad you survived. Did I miss seeing a post mentioning which bike? Ride the Merckx more and forget about cosmetic damage to the frame!

Heal before returning to work and I will come ride with you. That's not a threat.

Is a cyclist without a broken collarbone really a cyclist?
Old 05-26-23, 11:52 AM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1008 Post(s)
Liked 2,465 Times in 1,030 Posts
Ow. Ow! OW!

Sorry this happened. Glad it wasn't worse. Hope you heal quickly and completely.
Old 05-26-23, 12:30 PM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1601 Post(s)
Liked 2,187 Times in 1,092 Posts
I get it. Interfaced with a car at 21mph one morning on the way to work. Coller bone OK but Humorous broken, Shoulder blade fracture as well as a rib, significant trauma to the soft tissue on the forearm, road rash and permanent damage to my left eye. Plate with 7 screws on the Humorous and in line for a cataract procedure on the left eye as a result of another procedure to fix the Macula.
Anyway, I wish you well. I had a broken collar bone, but it was in kindergarten and nit bike related.
Before:
P9081222 on Flickr

After:
P9081219 on Flickr
P8011009 b on Flickr
Thought about a Tat of a bike from a bird's point of view using the scar as a TT.

The bike? totaled. bent fork including steerer, TT and DT wrinkled, 1972 Le Champion.

Last edited by SJX426; 05-26-23 at 12:33 PM.
Old 05-26-23, 01:55 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2151 Post(s)
Liked 3,380 Times in 1,198 Posts
Ah,Tim.
So sorry to hear about this but glad you saved the old hearing horn.
Got bopped myself by a pickup truck three months ago and am still sorting things out.
Won’t post the pics- too gruesome.
Good news is you’re just as pretty as before, no TBI.
Take time to heal, don’t be a dummy and push it.
Old 05-26-23, 02:14 PM
Gary12000 

Bikes: '71 Raleigh Inter, '98 Tommasini, '83 Trek 500, 83 Trek 720 '

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 198 Times in 109 Posts
And another thing ...

Originally Posted by SJX426
I get it. Interfaced with a car at 21mph one morning on the way to work. Coller bone OK but Humorous broken, Shoulder blade fracture as well as a rib, significant trauma to the soft tissue on the forearm, road rash and permanent damage to my left eye. Plate with 7 screws on the Humorous and in line for a cataract procedure on the left eye as a result of another procedure to fix the Macula.
Anyway, I wish you well. I had a broken collar bone, but it was in kindergarten and nit bike related.
Before:
P9081222 on Flickr

After:
P9081219 on Flickr
P8011009 b on Flickr
Thought about a Tat of a bike from a bird's point of view using the scar as a TT.

The bike? totaled. bent fork including steerer, TT and DT wrinkled, 1972 Le Champion.
wow that looks like a duesy, just a word of encouragement, i lost my right eye when i was 22 i still haven't found it.. you can have a life after vision issue, hopefully you will regain your vision just fine..
Old 05-26-23, 02:15 PM
gaucho777 

Bikes: '72 Cilo Pacer, '72 Gitane Gran Tourisme, '72 Peugeot PX10, '73 Speedwell Ti, '74 Peugeot UE-8, '75 Peugeot PR-10L, '80 Colnago Super, '85 De Rosa Pro, '86 Look Equipe 753, '86 Look KG86, '89 Parkpre Team, '90 Parkpre Team MTB, '90 Merlin

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 826 Post(s)
Liked 2,048 Times in 545 Posts
So, what you are saying is that you can forget how to ride a bike? In all seriousness, Tim, sorry about the spill and best of luck with your recovery. I've learned the hard way how quickly a pleasant ride can turn into a disaster.

@Andy_K Good luck with your recovery, too!
Old 05-26-23, 02:19 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3876 Post(s)
Liked 4,782 Times in 2,206 Posts
2017 Hurricane Ridge ride, Port Angeles, WA - mentioned in posts above by a couple of folks.
I knew I could not 'do the deed', so I rode flat - Olympic Discovery Trail - and cooked the post-ride meal.
edit: Elevation at Hurricane Ridge Day Lodge is about 5240'. Starting near sea level, that's practically a mile high climb.

Last edited by Wildwood; 05-26-23 at 05:10 PM.
Likes For Wildwood:
Old 05-26-23, 02:44 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 801 Post(s)
Liked 1,000 Times in 654 Posts
Why can't surgeons tie knots anymore? Anyway wishing you good healing @Lascauxcaveman . Recovery is harder when we get C&V.
Old 05-26-23, 04:14 PM
ascherer 

Bikes: 1987 Mercian Pro, 1985 Shogun 500, early '70s Falcon San Remo, 1972 Peugeot PX-10, 1972 Schwinn Paramount P13-9, 1971 Raleigh International, 1971 Peugeot PX-10, 1970 Raleigh Professional Mk1

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 931 Post(s)
Liked 2,842 Times in 963 Posts
Ow ow ow!! Wishing you a speedy recovery!

Old 05-26-23, 04:30 PM
Sedgemop 

Bikes: '72 Peugeot PX-10 '78 Motobecane Le Champion '83 Motobecane Grand Jubile '85 Trek 830 '88 Merckx Team ADR Corsa Extra

Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 1,213 Times in 651 Posts
Wishing you a speedy recovery. Glad you walked away from it, at least. By the way, my collarbone is so lumpy, I frequently get an additional scan at the airport. Looks like I'm smuggling something in the x-ray. Welcome to the lumpy collarbone club, if you're not already a member.

Last edited by Sedgemop; 05-26-23 at 04:55 PM.
Old 05-26-23, 04:42 PM
Andy Antipas 

Bikes: too many old steel bikes

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 174 Posts
Cave Man Down

Tim, I hope you heal up fast. I hit the ground twice last year and was fortunate that it was mostly road rash with maybe some tendon damage to a finger on my right hand.... Quick reminders that what we do can have some negative side effects. It still beat sitting on the sofa eating chips. I'm sure you will be back at it as soon as the docs clear you to ride! All the best, Andy A in Durango.

BTW, I really miss your spring Metric Century rides. Good times for sure.
Likes For Andy Antipas:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.