Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Fixing threads on Campy Pedal

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Fixing threads on Campy Pedal

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-23, 05:30 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaņa pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 720 Times in 395 Posts
Those threads don't look damaged to me. Maybe a tolerances problem as stated above. I'd run a tap on the crank arm and see what happens.
Old 05-26-23, 05:30 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,287 Times in 858 Posts
If this were my pedal, I would grab a couple of steel crankarms from my cottered collection, douse the threads with anti-seize and forcefully run the pedal spindle in, using back-and-forth action.
The anti-seize is important, lest the metals gall (cold-weld) against each other, and which is still possible if high enough turning speed is used.
Back it out and clean/inspect if the turning starts to feel crunchy.

Hoping that this will re-shape the spindle threads enough to prevent the spindle threads from damaging the destination alloy crankarm.

I've had Shimano pedals which went in tight into older Campagnolo cranks, had to back-and-forth them in to assure that I wasn't going to shear threads or burst the pedal eye.

There are sizing differences between ostensibly identically-threaded parts like taps, pedals and crankarms, so running one or two different taps through the alloy pedal eye might ease the fit.
Old 05-26-23, 05:47 PM
FrejusFlyer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by Mad Honk
When all else fails gimme a call. I have a spare of the same variety. Smiles, MH
Now you tell me! I already ordered a new spindle.
Old 05-26-23, 06:04 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4509 Post(s)
Liked 6,374 Times in 3,666 Posts
Originally Posted by mpetry912
Yes, Tom, it's a possibility. I have found that campagnolo pedals thread in "tite" on non campagnolo crank arms.

the threads in the picture look fine. To me the "tell" is that he says it goes in about 3 turns, which means the pedals start and then the mismatch in angle or thread crown builds up and causes them to become harder to turn.

OP is smart not to force it.

/markp
Originally Posted by bulgie
Great photos! Thanks for that.
Those threads look completely fine to me. The first thread or 1-1/2 threads being a little truncated is normal, not damage IMO.

Mark B
Huh, maybe I stand corrected but I will say that when this comes up at the Drag strip, track or on the road where safety and 1000's of a second count, I will address threads like this with a very critical eye and take whatever steps necessary to make the next round or down the road.

I have never missed a round or didn't get down the road in my life, yet.
Likes For merziac:
Old 05-26-23, 06:06 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Originally Posted by FrejusFlyer
Now you tell me! I already ordered a new spindle.
You gotta do what you gotta do, but you also have to give a thread a chance to elicit the one idea that fits the need!

Not that patience is always my forte, and sorry to preach!
Old 05-26-23, 06:14 PM
FrejusFlyer

Originally Posted by dddd
You gotta do what you gotta do, but you also have to give a thread a chance to elicit the one idea that fits the need!

Not that patience is always my forte, and sorry to preach!
Yes, in this case, I just want to get some working pedals on the bike and ride.
Old 05-26-23, 06:20 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Originally Posted by merziac
Huh, maybe I stand corrected but I will say that when this comes up at the Drag strip, track or on the road where safety and 1000's of a second count, I will address threads like this with a very critical eye and take whatever steps necessary to make the next round or down the road.

I have never missed a round or didn't get down the road in my life, yet.
The top photo appears to show that the blunted end threads are due to a factory bevel.

You've brought back memories from the drag strip of one round I survived even after breaking a selector shaft spring, having to dial-in at 18 seconds ET due to finding myself stuck in I believe fourth gear. Threw the opposing rider for a loop, him expecting a comparably-quick tree, yet I prevailed, only to go down in the semi (or was it the final?). <<<EDIT:, It was the final, long after dark, after being given a bye run>>>
Another time, due to a dragging clutch, I was unable to put the bike in gear after stalling it at the line and then re-starting it in neutral. So I had to push-start the bike in gear, which shouldn't have actually worked except for the fact that it was a quick-starting two-stroke and the heated tire magically found "reverse"-traction on the prepped surface as I dropped the clutch.

Last edited by dddd; 05-26-23 at 06:27 PM.
Old 05-26-23, 06:24 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18351 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
Hey all, I've got a 70's Campy pedal
Destro = Right
Sinistro = Left

How about a photo of the offending pedal and threads.

If the threads are fowled with aluminum, then it may be able to be easily cleaned out with a knife or file. Look carefully at where the threads start.
=================
Ok, I looked at a few more posts and found the pedals. They look fine to me. Perhaps clean the threads in case there is any grit in the bottom of the threads.

I'd try the "S" (left) pedal on a different crank arm/bike. The problem could be with the crank.

Or does a different pedal work with that crank?

Last edited by CliffordK; 05-26-23 at 06:32 PM.
Old 05-26-23, 07:46 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Yes, in this case, I just want to get some working pedals on the bike and ride.
So do other pedals fit in that arm that the Campy won't thread in?
Old 05-26-23, 10:49 PM
FrejusFlyer

Originally Posted by merziac
So do other pedals fit in that arm that the Campy won't thread in?
Yes, I took it to a shop to have the threads on the crank repaired (assumed it was the crank threads) but his test pedal went on the crank arm fine.
Likes For FrejusFlyer:
Old 05-26-23, 11:53 PM
merziac

Yes, I took it to a shop to have the threads on the crank repaired (assumed it was the crank threads) but his test pedal went on the crank arm fine.
And there we have it, that pedal supposedly looked and seemed ok, yet is not, I would have worked those threads into compliance without hesitation.
Likes For merziac:
Old 05-27-23, 02:34 PM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 2,566 Times in 1,072 Posts
That test isn't definitive. Most pedals are made to a sloppier class of fit than Campy, specifically so they can go into cranks that are on the small end of their tolerance range.

Chasing the crank thread, perhaps to the larger end of the tolerance range for this specific pedal (like with my Hozan tapered taps) is a valid way to keep that pedal on the road. Yes, replacing the spindle is a valid way too, but I'm too impatient to wait for the replacement to arrive, then overhaul the pedal to replace it. I'd have my tap run through it in about 2 minutes and be out riding.

Assuming that worked! I know, not necessarily a given. But we know that pedal was ridden before, ergo it had to fit a crank at one point. It hasn't grown larger since it was taken out of a crank, and the pics are so good I think we can mostly rule out damage to the thread or aluminum cold-welded into the valleys. I think it's just a tolerance mismatch.

Mark B
Likes For bulgie:
Old 05-27-23, 04:03 PM
FrejusFlyer

Originally Posted by bulgie
That test isn't definitive. Most pedals are made to a sloppier class of fit than Campy, specifically so they can go into cranks that are on the small end of their tolerance range.

Chasing the crank thread, perhaps to the larger end of the tolerance range for this specific pedal (like with my Hozan tapered taps) is a valid way to keep that pedal on the road. Yes, replacing the spindle is a valid way too, but I'm too impatient to wait for the replacement to arrive, then overhaul the pedal to replace it. I'd have my tap run through it in about 2 minutes and be out riding.

Assuming that worked! I know, not necessarily a given. But we know that pedal was ridden before, ergo it had to fit a crank at one point. It hasn't grown larger since it was taken out of a crank, and the pics are so good I think we can mostly rule out damage to the thread or aluminum cold-welded into the valleys. I think it's just a tolerance mismatch.

Mark B
I can mess with the threads on the spindle until the new one gets here. Worse case is I get it to work and have an extra spindle.
Likes For FrejusFlyer:
Old 05-28-23, 08:10 PM
FrejusFlyer

Just to provide some closure to the thread, I found a similar pair of Campy pedals at a swap meet today and they went on the crank with no issues. So, I guess it was the threads.
Likes For FrejusFlyer: