Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

SRAM x5 B gap

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

SRAM x5 B gap

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-23, 01:03 PM
Cead_tinne
nothing better

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
SRAM x5 B gap

My daughters bike is making a repetitive clicking sound in the highest gear. I checked the limit screws, and they seem right on. I also cleaned and lubed the chain. I was going going to check the chain gap, but i can't figure out was it's supported to be. I found specs on SRAMS website for 7/8 and 10 speed x5 derailleur. But nothing about a 9 speed X5 rear derailleur. It's 11/34 cassette if it matters. Any help is appreciated.

Link to bike model: https://woom.com/en_US/products/woom...?variant=black
Old 05-27-23, 02:49 PM
KerryIrons

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 355 Posts
Originally Posted by Cead_tinne
My daughters bike is making a repetitive clicking sound in the highest gear. I checked the limit screws, and they seem right on. I also cleaned and lubed the chain. I was going going to check the chain gap, but i can't figure out was it's supported to be. I found specs on SRAMS website for 7/8 and 10 speed x5 derailleur. But nothing about a 9 speed X5 rear derailleur. It's 11/34 cassette if it matters. Any help is appreciated.

Link to bike model: https://woom.com/en_US/products/woom...?variant=black
When you say gap, are you talking about the distance from the top of the jockey wheel to the cassette cog?
Old 05-27-23, 02:52 PM
Cead_tinne
nothing better

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by KerryIrons
When you say gap, are you talking about the distance from the top of the jockey wheel to the cassette cog?
Yes. What is the correct name for that?
Old 05-27-23, 03:09 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1787 Post(s)
Liked 1,261 Times in 870 Posts
Highest gear is the smallest cog.
Is this a new problem? If so, has a part been changed or the bike crashed? RDER's are relatively fragile and can be knocked out of alignment rather easily.

Shift to the largest cog and check the amount of chain "slack".
You want 1" to 1-1/2". (2 or 3 half links)

Typically, the "B" adjustment is set to clear the largest cog by "a bit" and then rechecked on the smallest cog. The gap may be unequal, but the idea is to have adequate clearance in all cogs.

You might want to hang the bike on a rope and have your child slowly pedal (by hand) and you get nose close and observe.
Is it constant or intermittent? Once exactly every X turn(s) of the crank?

Possibly a click or 3 on the barrel adjuster may solve the problem.
Maybe a slightly stiff link?
Close observation may show an obvious problem.
Old 05-27-23, 03:18 PM
KerryIrons

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 355 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
Highest gear is the smallest cog.
Is this a new problem? If so, has a part been changed or the bike crashed? RDER's are relatively fragile and can be knocked out of alignment rather easily.

Shift to the largest cog and check the amount of chain "slack".
You want 1" to 1-1/2". (2 or 3 half links)

Typically, the "B" adjustment is set to clear the largest cog by "a bit" and then rechecked on the smallest cog.
While there might be actual specifications for this gap, your statement is far more useful. The "B" screw needs to be adjusted so that the jockey wheel is not hitting the teeth of the biggest cog. It can be adjusted beyond that. If the shifting gets better with a larger gap, then that is where the gap should be. And vice versa. Close observation of what is going on will tell the tale.
Old 05-27-23, 03:58 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Originally Posted by KerryIrons
While there might be actual specifications for this gap, your statement is far more useful. The "B" screw needs to be adjusted so that the jockey wheel is not hitting the teeth of the biggest cog. It can be adjusted beyond that. If the shifting gets better with a larger gap, then that is where the gap should be. And vice versa. Close observation of what is going on will tell the tale.
Being it's a "child's bike and has a RDER, my 1st suspicion is that it's been bent.
Gentle to a child is not the same to them as it is to us. Just letting it fall over to the right side with the RDER striking a raised object may bend it.
One can simply put it under a cog, step back and eyeball to see if the RDER, chain & cassette are on the same vertical plane. Simplified by having only 1 chain ring. (I just realized 1X has 1 advantage now)
Old 05-27-23, 05:34 PM
Cead_tinne
nothing better

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I was also wondering what kind of damage she may have done to the bike. However It did start 8 miles into a 15 mile ride, so not right after any impact. The derailleur looks like is in the same general plane to my untrained eye-ball.

It looks like there is right around 1-1/2" inches of chain slack. It's still the original chain, and my "Park Tool CC-3.2 Chain Wear Indicator Tool" says it's still under 0.5% wear.
Old 05-27-23, 05:46 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

If the tool says 0.5%, it's "probably" about 1/2 that. They tend to indicate a chain is more worn then reality. YMMV though.

At some point, you should grab a scale and actually measure to confirm/deny the veracity of your tool. It is still a great "quick check" device. If it says it's good, you KNOW it's good.

I like to measure a 3' section of chain for better resolution when converting to %. Being 1/32" off because of parallax or other reasons is only 1/3 as bad when measuring 3X as much.
4' gets too unwieldy for me.

I use the 1" & 37" marks to avoid the sometimes problematic 'hook".
Back to reality-
Do the close visual inspection while turning the crank and describe how often, where.....
Time to leave the keyboard and look at the bike.
Old 05-27-23, 10:07 PM
Cead_tinne
nothing better

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
It the noise repeats roughly 3 times per crank. It only does it under load, not on the bike stand. Which is a pain because I need my daughter to ride with me test, and we have to go to the bottom of out hill to use the highest gear.

I backed the H screw way out and made the shiftier cable slack, no change.
Adding more lube to chain seems to help. But it takes way more lube than a reasonable person would apply.

I gave the derailleur a pretty through disassembly and cleaning as in the below video. I'll have to wait to see if it helps at all.
Old 05-27-23, 11:07 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Backing the H screw out just allows the RDER to move far enough to run the chain off the smallest cog. It would reduce cable slack if anything.
Backing out the L screw allows the chain to go off the largest cog and into the spokes if you have enough cable pull left.

The Biggest COG is LOW gear.
You wouldn't need to go to the bottom of the hill to test HIGH gear.
You are confusing......

3:1 is about the number of times the cassette would turn when on the smallest cog per turn of the crank. IF that's the case, I'd look for a bad tooth on the smallest cog.

How did the observation go? Seem you would have seen something that happens 3X per crank rev.
Or did you just start cranking screw without knowing what they do?

Last edited by Bill Kapaun; 05-27-23 at 11:16 PM.
Old 05-28-23, 08:47 AM
Cead_tinne
nothing better

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Backing the H screw out just allows the RDER to move far enough to run the chain off the smallest cog. It would reduce cable slack if anything.
Backing out the L screw allows the chain to go off the largest cog and into the spokes if you have enough cable pull left.

The Biggest COG is LOW gear.
You wouldn't need to go to the bottom of the hill to test HIGH gear.
You are confusing......
I meant what i said, high (small). Yes, we need to go to the bottom of the hill to test, she can't ride up the will hill with that ratio, and its to steep to put a load on the high gear. I'm not sure why my statement was confusing. I backed the h screw way out, I expected the chain to rub or fall off. It never did. Which makes me suspect alignment.

3:1 is about the number of times the cassette would turn when on the smallest cog per turn of the crank. IF that's the case, I'd look for a bad tooth on the smallest cog.
This seems like a good a theory. I can't see any obvious damage to the cog, it's hard to tell with the way the teeth alternate back and forth. One of my co-workers has a tool to check derailleur alignment, and an old 9 speed cassette in his parts bin. I think checking alignment and swapping the cassette might be our next course of action. But I won't see him until Thursday though.