Old 11-17-21, 07:07 AM
henrik.nu

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Iowa

Hi everybody!
I have never been bicycling in the USA, but I want to start planning to bicycling in the USA.
I want to bike thru the state of IOWA. East to west or, west to east.
So, I am interested in your experience from biking in IOWA ( and USA).
For exampel,, which kind of roads is prefferable? Where can you camp with your tents? Campinggrounds are they common?
Which is the best time of the year to bicycle in Iowa? (no need to bike during the peaking turist season. Less tourist= More pleasure!=)
Thanks in advance,
/
Henrik
Old 11-17-21, 02:21 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3089 Post(s)
Liked 6,590 Times in 3,780 Posts
https://ragbrai.com/

Likes For cb400bill:
Old 11-26-21, 09:37 AM
Pugs2xLove

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 66 Posts
Hi Henrik,

Welcome to the forum. The best time to start your journey is during Spring when the weather isn't too hot or too cold and low humidity. If you plan on coming to Iowa, we have the annual bike ride called RAGBRAI (not sure if you've heard of it) but it's a 7-day bike ride across the entire state. RAGBRAI stands for Register's Annual Great Bike Ride Across Iowa which takes place on the last week of July every year. The cost for the event is $186 which pays for your ride ticket and they'll haul your luggage (1 large back) for the duration of this event. This year was my first time participating in RAGBRAI and I've already signed up for next year. There are approximately 13-15,000 people from all over the world that come to Iowa for this event. I've attached the link for you below if interested. There's also the world famous Iowa State Fair which takes place in Des Moines in August. It attracts about 10,000 people daily. Lots of good food and fun if you're into that stuff.

The rule of thumb is to travel from West to East due to headwinds but that's not a proven fact because the weather and climate change easily. Iowa has lots of hills so I hope you like to climb. We have many campgrounds where you can setup tents overnight and though there are many small towns, people are generally friendly and will allow to camp in their front yards or property (if they have big farms). You'll witness their friendliness and hospitality during RAGBRAI for sure. The humidity is bad during Summertime so you can expect that from May-June through September. Iowa does have many trails and backroads so you can always travel on them while trekking through Iowa. Hope this helps.

https://ragbrai.com/
Old 11-26-21, 11:34 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by henrik.nu
Which is the best time of the year to bicycle in Iowa? (no need to bike during the peaking turist season. Less tourist= More pleasure!=)
I love RAGBRAI, but it's definitely the peak of the bike touring season here in Iowa. Once we get to central Iowa, there might be 20,000 of us on the roads!

It always seems to be the hottest week of the year, but that might just be how it feels.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 11-26-21, 03:15 PM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 973 Post(s)
Liked 511 Times in 351 Posts
For unfamiliar places, I like to check weatherspark.com. It has historical weather averages and past years histories.
These charts are from Des Moines, Iowa as an example. I switched it from F and mph to C and kph.

I check temperatures, rainfall, winds, and cloud cover. I'll click the month link in a chart to get more detail. Some charts have daily versions, too. Use the monthly and daily calendars on the right sidebar.

I look at temperatures through the day. Is it too cold in the mornings, or much too hot all afternoon?

However, those are just averages. Here's 2020 actual data. It's not unusual to see big differences in weather from day to day. Especially in spring and fall.

~~~~~~~~~
Weather tends to move from west to east across the USA. But just as often, it's pushing up from the south, or down from Canada:

Last edited by rm -rf; 11-26-21 at 03:21 PM.
Old 12-28-21, 03:55 PM
henrik.nu

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good evening everybody! Thanks for your many posts about bicycle in Iowa.
As I the summertemperatures seems very hot for ( at least for me ) =), April and May seems to be preferable.
The "temperature chart and wind charts/ picture" for Des Mooines was something new to me. Very good.
Do you know if there is a good webplace to look for campinggrounds, with shower and toilets facilites ?
The wind, then mabye it is better to cycle from east to west if that gives more tailwind, am I right?

=)
Thanks.
Old 12-28-21, 07:02 PM
Pugs2xLove

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by henrik.nu
Good evening everybody! Thanks for your many posts about bicycle in Iowa.
As I the summertemperatures seems very hot for ( at least for me ) =), April and May seems to be preferable.
The "temperature chart and wind charts/ picture" for Des Mooines was something new to me. Very good.
Do you know if there is a good webplace to look for campinggrounds, with shower and toilets facilites ?
The wind, then mabye it is better to cycle from east to west if that gives more tailwind, am I right?

=)
Thanks.
Thought you'd never ask.
https://iowastateparks.reserveameric...me.do?tti=home