Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Are there any pedals that sit low (below their axle)

Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Old 05-30-22, 02:57 PM
Mr Sir

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

As a consequence of swapping to shorter cranks I have to raise my seat up. That means I can no longer reach the ground while on the saddle even with the tip of my feet. Now I wonder if I could swap to using pedals that have a deep ''sit'' so that at the bottom of my pedal stroke my leg extends more and at the up stroke have less bend in the leg. This would allow me to drop the saddle significantly.
If that doesnt exist I am thinking of going to really thin platform pedals and thin soled shoes. That will allow me to reduce saddle height a little bit, probably 2-3 cm compared to what I have now. But going to pedals that sit ''below'' their axle would result in much more reduction. Does something like this exist? If not, somebody should make em !

Last edited by Mr Sir; 05-30-22 at 03:05 PM.
Old 05-30-22, 04:14 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4271 Post(s)
Liked 4,706 Times in 2,906 Posts
2-3 cm lower saddle???

Pedals sitting below their axle would be quite tricky to engineer! But you can certainly get pedals that have a low stack height compared to others. The variation between the highest and lowest is about 5 or 6 mm
Old 05-30-22, 04:20 PM
mars2020

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
This may help?

https://www.amazon.com/Bicycle-Stepp...s%2C202&sr=8-9
Old 05-30-22, 04:44 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked 602 Times in 371 Posts
OTOH, why would you touch the ground while you're on our seat (saddle)?

When I come to a stop (for example, at a red light) I some times keep my left foot on the pedal and lean my bike over a bit so I can hold myself up with my right foot on a curb. At other times, especially where there's no curb, I just stop my bike and move my body forward so I straddle the top tube.
Likes For philbob57:
Old 05-30-22, 04:58 PM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1158 Post(s)
Liked 439 Times in 312 Posts
The old Dura Ace Dyna Drive (DD) or “AX” pedals were a special axle-less design where the top of the rear cage crossed the centerline of what would be the axle.
This requires the matching crank arms that have an oversized 1” threaded bore. They were very clever engineering & some people that tried them thought they were cool (like me) but most thought they were awful. Sometimes they pop up on eBay @ decent prices. The double row bearings are housed inside that oversized pedal bore & they hold together when adjusted properly.
Likes For masi61:
Old 05-31-22, 01:12 AM
Mr Sir

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Thanks for the replies everyone. I did some more research. It seems these special pedals are called ''eccentric pedals''. I've decided on simply getting platform pedals since I've been wanting to return to them out of practical reasons.
Stack height is the word I was looking for yes. I currently use SPD SL and it feels my stack height is very high with the decathlon shoes and cleats. I can cut a significant chunk off my saddle height by going to thin platform pedals with thin soled shoes.
Does anyone have a good recommendation for a thin, wide and long platform pedal?
Old 05-31-22, 05:10 AM
jambon

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mr Sir
Thanks for the replies everyone. I did some more research. It seems these special pedals are called ''eccentric pedals''. I've decided on simply getting platform pedals since I've been wanting to return to them out of practical reasons.
Stack height is the word I was looking for yes. I currently use SPD SL and it feels my stack height is very high with the decathlon shoes and cleats. I can cut a significant chunk off my saddle height by going to thin platform pedals with thin soled shoes.
Does anyone have a good recommendation for a thin, wide and long platform pedal?
Xpaedo spry , Stamp 1 , stamp 5 , and these https://www.bikeradar.com/reviews/co...pedals-review/
Old 05-31-22, 05:10 AM
jambon

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I also recommedn going with a very thin soled shoe
Old 06-03-22, 04:49 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4271 Post(s)
Liked 4,706 Times in 2,906 Posts
Originally Posted by jambon
Quite neat idea, but not at £320!
Old 08-30-22, 03:32 PM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 329 Times in 245 Posts
As a consequence of swapping to shorter cranks I have to raise my seat up. That means I can no longer reach the ground while on the saddle even with the tip of my feet. Now I wonder if I could swap to using pedals that have a deep ''sit'' so that at the bottom of my pedal stroke my leg extends more and at the up stroke have less bend in the leg. This would allow me to drop the saddle significantly.
If that doesnt exist I am thinking of going to really thin platform pedals and thin soled shoes. That will allow me to reduce saddle height a little bit, probably 2-3 cm compared to what I have now. But going to pedals that sit ''below'' their axle would result in much more reduction. Does something like this exist? If not, somebody should make em !
Switching to a drastically shorter crank, say going from 170 to 150 only requires putting the saddle up 2 to 5mm.

The other factor is bottom bracket height. It varies a lot. With shorter cranks you can run a much lower BB. Sorry, that won't help on your current bike.
Old 08-30-22, 04:15 PM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 329 Times in 245 Posts
Switching to a drastically shorter crank, say going from 170 to 150 only requires putting the saddle up 2 to 5mm.

The other factor is bottom bracket height. It varies a lot. With shorter cranks you can run a much lower BB. Sorry, that won't help on your current bike.