Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Bibs vs shorts

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-22, 04:30 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 531 Post(s)
Liked 351 Times in 177 Posts
Bibs vs shorts

I have some Canaris cycling shorts that I bought at Academy. The chamois/pad slips forward when I ride. I do ride in a more upright position.
Would bibs keep the chamois in place better? My old butt bones want some padding. The Canaris slips enough that the padding isn’t where I need it.
Old 08-01-22, 04:42 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,857 Times in 6,071 Posts
Originally Posted by pepperbelly
I have some Canaris cycling shorts that I bought at Academy. The chamois/pad slips forward when I ride. I do ride in a more upright position.
Would bibs keep the chamois in place better? My old butt bones want some padding. The Canaris slips enough that the padding isn’t where I need it.
Are the shorts loose on you?

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 08-01-22, 04:43 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6943 Post(s)
Liked 10,944 Times in 4,677 Posts
Canari is a relatively cheap brand. Better shorts will perform better. Buying them in the proper size (they should be tight) will help, too.

But, to your question: yes, bibs do stay in position better than shorts for many riders.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 08-01-22, 04:54 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
I don’t see how the chamois slips forward unless the shorts themselves are sliding down in the back. If that’s the case then yes, bib shorts might stay in place better. But it sounds to me like you just need better fitting shorts.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 08-01-22, 05:30 PM
The Chemist

Bikes: Waltly Custom Ti // Seaboard CX01 // Dahon Boardwalk

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 245 Posts
If the shorts are slipping it sounds like they're too big for you, but yes, bibs do a better job holding everything where it should be. I switched to bibs last year and I'd never want to go back to shorts.
Likes For The Chemist:
Old 08-01-22, 05:30 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Originally Posted by Rolla
I don’t see how the chamois slips forward unless the shorts themselves are sliding down in the back. If that’s the case then yes, bib shorts might stay in place better. But it sounds to me like you just need better fitting shorts.
The shorts are sliding down in back. The chamois/pad is sewn in. I don’t mind buying better shorts but if bibs are better I will get them. I am 64 and fat. I ride sorta upright on my 2012ish Specialized Roubaix. I rest my hands against the horns and don’t use the drops.
Old 08-01-22, 05:38 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,857 Times in 6,071 Posts
Originally Posted by pepperbelly
The shorts are sliding down in back. The chamois/pad is sewn in. I don’t mind buying better shorts but if bibs are better I will get them. I am 64 and fat. I ride sorta upright on my 2012ish Specialized Roubaix. I rest my hands against the horns and don’t use the drops.
Ah, well, then, yes. Bibs should help. The other thing I find helps keep the chamois from moving relative to my nethers is chamois cream.

If you're riding with your hands on the brake hoods, that's pretty much where most road cyclists will be most of the time. Also the ramps, right behind them, or the bar tops when climbing in the saddle. The drops are generally used a lot less. If you can reach them, you may be able to practice enough to ride comfortably in them.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 08-01-22, 06:44 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2571 Post(s)
Liked 5,600 Times in 2,907 Posts
If you live in a hot area, one word of caution about bibs. They are considerably hotter, at least for me, when the temps go way up. I use bibs in the winter for extra warmth and regular cycling shorts during the hotter months. But like the others have said, bibs don’t shift. I use medium quality shorts and don’t have any issue with shifting shorts. If you are changing positions on your saddle for comfort, raise your behind and then sit down rather than scooting on the saddle which can lead to bunching or shifting of the chamois. Bibs do make great spanx for overweight male guts.

I am sure someone will disagree about the heat aspect, but that is my experience.

Old 08-01-22, 06:54 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Originally Posted by rsbob
If you live in a hot area, one word of caution about bibs. They are considerably hotter, at least for me, when the temps go way up. I use bibs in the winter for extra warmth and regular cycling shorts during the hotter months. But like the others have said, bibs don’t shift. I use medium quality shorts and don’t have any issue with shifting shorts. If you are changing positions on your saddle for comfort, raise your behind and then sit down rather than scooting on the saddle which can lead to bunching or shifting of the chamois. Bibs do make great spanx for overweight male guts.

I am sure someone will disagree about the heat aspect, but that is my experience.
Thanks. I am in Fort Worth and hot is all we get in Texas for a while.
I may look into some better shorts.
Old 08-01-22, 07:13 PM
sean.hwy

Bikes: Blur / Ibis Hakka MX / team machince alr2 / topstone 1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 201 Posts
I find bib more comfortable. Don't have to be as tight to keep them up. I ride with shorts 99% of the time though. Bathroom connivence > less tight bibs. ha-ha
Old 08-01-22, 07:31 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2571 Post(s)
Liked 5,600 Times in 2,907 Posts
Originally Posted by sean.hwy
I find bib more comfortable. Don't have to be as tight to keep them up. I ride with shorts 99% of the time though. Bathroom connivence > less tight bibs. ha-ha
Well there is that. Bibs are not bathroom friendly. Watching the Tour de Femmes I just had to wonder about bathroom stops for the women.
Did see a couple of port0potties but bibs would be more of a pain for them.

Old 08-01-22, 07:50 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Didn't we have a bibs vs shorts thread recently?
Old 08-01-22, 08:16 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Originally Posted by seypat
Didn't we have a bibs vs shorts thread recently?
I will look. I should have before posting.
Old 08-01-22, 10:55 PM
Sapperc

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix SL4 Comp, Trek 930, Nishiki International

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts
Bibs vs. shorts is one of those debates that keeps going on and on. I don’t like bibs, but many, many road cyclists do. Give them a try. But whether you go with bibs or shorts they need to be snug. Also, no underpants. That will cause lots of issues. And there are many differing chamois pads in cycling attire. You’ll go through some trial and error before you find what you prefer.

Happy cycling!
Likes For Sapperc:
Old 08-02-22, 12:31 AM
50PlusCycling

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 403 Posts
Canari has always been something of the entry-level clothing. If a person gets the urge to start cycling for fitness walks into a bike shop, buys a lower-end bike and then asks about cycling clothes, they’ll likely be sold something by Canari. If they stop riding after a couple weeks and hang up the bike in the garage until they give it to Goodwill, or sell it at a garage sale, they won’t care much about the clothes. But if they stick with riding, it won’t be long until they buy some better clothes.

My first cycling clothing was from Canari, and it got me by for the first few months. But I found that more expensive shorts were expensive because they were better. I eventually moved up to wearing Assos Sportsline and then Prosline shorts, both regular and bibs. I rode a lot in subtropical weather, very hot and humid, with an occasional torrential rain shower. I liked the fit of the bib shorts better, but they are a little hotter, so I usually worse sleeveless mesh jerseys which were much cooler.

Nowadays I wear regular Pearl Izumi shorts, which are common and relatively inexpensive here in Japan. A decent pair is about 12,000 yen, or about $90. They are comfortable, stay put, and last a long time.
Old 08-02-22, 04:25 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18398 Post(s)
Liked 15,494 Times in 7,317 Posts
Well there is that. Bibs are not bathroom friendly.
Full-zipper jersey for #2. No need to unzip for #1. While touring in remote areas I go while still straddling the bike.
Old 08-02-22, 09:01 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 7,286 Times in 2,942 Posts
Well there is that. Bibs are not bathroom friendly. Watching the Tour de Femmes I just had to wonder about bathroom stops for the women.
Did see a couple of port0potties but bibs would be more of a pain for them.
I used to ride with several pro women riders, and they all wore bib sorts. They lost no time to the men during “nature” breaks.
Old 08-02-22, 12:08 PM
SpeedyBlueBiker

Bikes: 1999 Giant ATX MTB, 2002 Lemond Zurich, 2018 Fuji Transonic 2.3, 2019 Specialized Tarmac Disc Expert

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 391 Times in 226 Posts
I just became the owner of a pair of bib shorts from a friend who ordered the wrong size and it was too much of a hassle and expense to send them back. Thus I got them for a very good price. Will be trying them out for the first time in the coming days.
I do like cycling in gel shorts. I know that there was recently a thread about gel vs chamois shorts. For me, gel shorts work whether riding in the cooler climate of the PNW or the hot and humid climate of Thailand and SE Asia. YMMV
Old 08-03-22, 04:43 AM
A350driver

Bikes: Emonda, Speed Concept, A1985 Bianchi and a Stache, Madone all Trek except the Bianchi.

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 74 Posts
I hate bibs for two reasons; the bathroom breaks and the straps over my shoulders. I’ve never had a problem with regular shorts not staying up, but the bibs are a pain in the neck to put on, take off, pull down in front for a quick pee, etc. I don’t notice anything fits better when I wear the bibs, but it takes longer to pee!
Likes For A350driver: