Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Wheel upgrade for older Giant hybrid ?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-22, 10:20 AM
Brocephus
Professional amateur

Bikes: Does a Big Wheel count ?

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 92 Posts

Hey guys, long time no see. I recently scored deal on a clean, low miles 2013 Giant Escape hybrid/commuter/flat-bar road bike.(I think that covers it!), I'm really digging this bike, but I haven't always has the best working relationship with generic, house-brand wheels, especially the spokes, and often go right to a some new budget wheelset, laced up with Swiss DTs.
(BTW, I'm currently lighter than I've been in years, just under 180 lbs, and dont ride them aggressively.)
The bike was made in China, the spoke heads have a large S on them, and from what I've found, look to be made by Shuhn-Lih. I'd love to hear how these hold up, or if they're bust-O-matics.
I'm hoping for some feed back from owners of this (or similar) bikes on how well I can expect these original wheels to hold up, or a heads up on some solid budget replacement options ( good vendors, specific wheels,etc).
I'm currently looking hard at a couple (presumably) decent options from Modern Bike, and Universal Cycles,in the $200+ range,which is about my budget. They must be 700c, 135mm hub spacing, double wall, compatible with 9 speed cassettes and 32mm tires, have quality spokes, preferably 36 count.
You get the idea, any info or solid advice is much appreciated......

Last edited by Brocephus; 08-09-22 at 05:08 PM.
Old 08-06-22, 02:30 PM
KerryIrons

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 355 Posts
Originally Posted by Brocephus
solid advice is much appreciated......
Ride what you've got and see how it works out. If the wheels give you trouble, THEN think about buying new ones. You'd probably get more benefit from better tires than you would from a $200 wheel set.
Likes For KerryIrons:
Old 08-06-22, 04:15 PM
Brocephus
Professional amateur

Originally Posted by KerryIrons
Ride what you've got and see how it works out. If the wheels give you trouble, THEN think about buying new ones. You'd probably get more benefit from better tires than you would from a $200 wheel set.
Hey thanks, fair points all around, no argument. I do have 3 folding 32mm Continentals in my parts stash that I'd earmarked for this bike,as soon as the stock tires wear out.
And I'd already considered the wisdom of riding these wheels as far as theyll go, but I'm also thinking, with ever-increasing inflation, and supply chain issues, and my history of busting generic spokes, it might be more practical to go ahead get something more sturdy, before that inevitably gets more costly and difficult..
Anyway, I'm still playing it by ear. Thanks again for the reply.
Old 08-06-22, 05:37 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
Velomine is also a good source for wheels.

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 08-07-22, 07:13 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4332 Post(s)
Liked 3,956 Times in 2,644 Posts
I would not put much money towards a Giant Escape. Ride it down and find something that is going to suite you better. Maybe build up a bike with wheels that would make more sense and parts that you will enjoy.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 08-07-22, 11:46 AM
Brocephus
Professional amateur

Originally Posted by veganbikes
I would not put much money towards a Giant Escape. Ride it down and find something that is going to suite you better. Maybe build up a bike with wheels that would make more sense and parts that you will enjoy.
hey, I appreciate the input, and again, all fair points. But, this bike actually does suit me pretty well. I've kinda come full circle, having started with lower end bikes with shimanos lower tier components and generic house brand parts (which always served surprisingly well) to gradually better and better bikes, eventually getting into road racing, and ultimately buying nice frames, and building them up myself (My best bike was a Seven Axiom TI, with dura ace/ultegra, so I get it), and my current road bike (another Craigslist score) is a humble 105 equipped Fuji, that's been great (and yeah, I immediately upgraded those junk 28-bladed-spoke "race" wheels, for some Swiss DT tk7.1 rms with DTs,laced to 105 hubs (under $200 delivered from BWW, so it doesnt cost a mint to upgrade to a acceptably decent wheelset). So, now that my racing (and bike snob) days,are long past, my whole bike outlook has come full circle, and I'm happy again with lower cost, old school bikes, with V brakes, 9 speed, Alivio/Deore level components,etc. Now that in pushing 60, with less disposable income to blow on my favorite toys, I'm not so concerned with premium brands, light weight, super precise shifting, long distance and high avg speeds,and all that. I just ride because I love it, and to keep things moving, and keep the blubber at bay, and a simple Alivio level bike will do that just fine (especially in near mint condition, for $135!)
Anyway, apologies for the soliloquy, it kinda took on a life of own,LOL!

Last edited by Brocephus; 08-07-22 at 11:57 AM.
Old 08-07-22, 08:06 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4332 Post(s)
Liked 3,956 Times in 2,644 Posts
The Escapes were always the worst bikes at our shop and had the most time coming back in amongst all the similar hybrids we sold. Some of the lower cost bikes can be decent enough but the Escapes not so much from all the ones we saw and we sold a ton of them for a while.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 08-07-22, 08:31 PM
beng1
Banned

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 195 Posts
180 pounds is not a heavy rider, and 2013 is not old equipment especially if it is in cream-puff condition with low miles. If you are no longer obsessed with fashionable and trendy high-end garbage, prove it and just ride the bike. And if you are as experienced a mechanic as you say, just go over the spoke tension and unless you hit a square-edged pothole or something similar you shouldn't if you have your eyes open, the wheels will last as long as you do.

Making sure the spokes are tight will eliminate the possibility of sloppy factory assembly. The bike supplies the reliability, the rider supplies the speed and power, bike type or quality within reason has almost zero effect on average speed over distance.