Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Any hope for a more comfortable saddle?

Search
Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-22, 05:55 PM
mogulman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Me. 54 year old, 230lb. 5'8“. Yeah. I know I'm overweight. I've had fusion in my lower back and metal Rods. I have nerve damage in the inside of my left leg. I can feel my nerves in my left leg when I sit on my bike.

I have a road bike and a MTB. A couple of years ago, I measured my sit bones using whatever method I could find online. I think it was 143-145. I ordered a bunch of seats online Brooks, seller royal, ergon, WTB. All of them in the wider width. I rode each of them for around 10-15 miles. The WTB rocket wide chromoly felt the best 150. I've been using it for the last year on both bikes.

I usually ride for 1.5-2 hours. Last weekend I tried riding for 4 hours. My butt was really sore. 4 days later. Still kind of sore. I rode for 1.5 today.

I noticed that when I sit farther back on my seat, my but hurts more. I also know that if the nose of my seat is too wide it also hurts. Really, it is most comfortable when I feel like I'm sitting more on the nose of my seat than sitting back. Or sitting with my right side more on the seat and my left hanging off a little.

So the question, is... Is there any type of seat that could help me? Maybe a narrow seat would be better for me in my situation. Or is there some kind of seat for weirdos that might work?

I know losing weight will help.
Old 07-13-22, 06:19 PM
Kars 

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 14 Posts
Don't give up on the brooks too quickly. It takes time for the leather to break in and conform to your shape. I also like the Specialized power comp saddle but what works for one person may not work for you.
Old 07-13-22, 06:51 PM
mogulman

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Kars
Don't give up on the brooks too quickly. It takes time for the leather to break in and conform to your shape. I also like the Specialized power comp saddle but what works for one person may not work for you.
I don't have the brooks anymore. I believe when I had it, it was a c17.(not leather) It was very painful for me. I tried it 3-4 times and no luck.

My newer bike that I got about a month ago came with a Specialized Bridge Sport 155. It seemed even worse for me than the WTB. I switched it to the WTB after the first ride, as it was more comfortable for shorter 30 mile or less rides.

​​​​​​
Old 07-13-22, 07:06 PM
Bogey Speedwell

Bikes: Cannondale Topstone, Trek Dual Sport, State Bicycle Klunker

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 69 Posts
Have a Selle SMP Trk I freaking love it so much on my hybrid, I ordered one for my Topstone today. My wife also uses one we do not have the Gel version but there is a little padding, running 2-4 hours hasn’t been an issue for either one of us,

not saying this is the saddle for you, but I really didn’t look for other options when I bought the 3rd.
Old 07-14-22, 11:36 AM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 435 Posts
I really don;t wanna say it; but, you know - lose the weight... it's aggravating everything which bothers you... it does not get easier as we age...
also
The more 'upright' you ride, the further you roll your weight onto the adjoining muscle - hence the wide, sprung saddles on upright cruiser type position bikes.
The more you angle forward, more of your weight is carried by the sitzbones... and with some lower of overall force thru the spine, and more engagement of core muscle.
There's really not a large force transfer until the bars become really loaded... But engaging the core muscles transfers a lot of load thru the muscle to where they anchor - the lower lumbar spine and the pelvis...
if you're riding 155 width, that won;t cause more issues, but, again torso tilt - sit on a firm chair, upgright - note how your weight is distributed thru your butt and surrounding soft tissue to the chair
now lean forward... - less force going the 'meat' of the butt, more focused on the size bones...
... if the sitzbones are sore - and you're only riding every so often... the sitzbones and general butt needs to 'adapt' to the force of your weight (true for any of us)
that 'adaptation' happens over a period of 10-12 days of frequent riding... the 3rd thru 6th day of 'adaptation can be really painful...
all extra weight exaggerates that.
... we have no idea how you have your saddle set up, on your bike and relative to 'you'...
... many saddle variations are designed to address genitalia/perineum issues, which is not noted by you...
personally, at times, I have found myself eating for a 200 lb person... once I started eating for a 160 lb person, and kept active/riding/somethinig, I again became a 160 lb person.
Ride ON
Yuri
Likes For cyclezen:
Old 07-15-22, 09:52 AM
mogulman

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Totally agree about losing the weight. Riding helps me with that. If I can get more comfortable with my nerve/leg/back issues, that will help me ride more. So it's a chicken and egg thing. More comfortable seat so I can ride more and lose weight. Lose weight and my seat will be more comfortable. Trying!

I have been riding at least 3 days/week. Usually 2-3 shorter 1.5-2 hour rides and then 1 longer ride, since beginning of June.
Old 07-15-22, 11:57 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by mogulman
A couple of years ago, I measured my sit bones using whatever method I could find online. I think it was 143-145. I ordered a bunch of seats online Brooks, seller royal, ergon, WTB. All of them in the wider width.
If the measurement told you to get a narrow saddle, why did you buy a bunch of wide ones?

I usually ride for 1.5-2 hours. Last weekend I tried riding for 4 hours. My butt was really sore. 4 days later. Still kind of sore.
Sounds normal. Your butt has to get used to the time/distance no matter what saddle you use.

I noticed that when I sit farther back on my seat, my but hurts more. I also know that if the nose of my seat is too wide it also hurts. Really, it is most comfortable when I feel like I'm sitting more on the nose of my seat than sitting back. Or sitting with my right side more on the seat and my left hanging off a little.

So the question, is... Is there any type of seat that could help me? Maybe a narrow seat would be better for me in my situation.
Bingo. You want it to be just wide enough to support your sit bones, but not so wide it cuts off circulation to your legs. It never hurts to do a few pedal strokes standing now and then, to get more circulation below the belt.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 07-15-22, 12:19 PM
mogulman

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
If the measurement told you to get a narrow saddle, why did you buy a bunch of wide ones?

I guess I wanted to be sure it was big enough. Now I'm second guessing it. Thansk for the confirmation. I guess I should try something in the 145 range. It feels to me like that might work better.
Old 07-15-22, 12:33 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
I guess I wanted to be sure it was big enough. Now I'm second guessing it. Thansk for the confirmation. I guess I should try something in the 145 range. It feels to me like that might work better.
I think it's common for people to think that the saddle width should match their butt size to some degree, but it's all about the sit bones. That the WTB Rocket ride felt best at 150mm was a strong clue for me.

One thing about Brooks and similar saddles is that the cantle plate design makes it harder to compare widths with modern saddles. A Brooks in the 150-160mm width range will fit like a modern saddle in the 140s.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 07-15-22, 12:45 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1273 Post(s)
Liked 1,391 Times in 709 Posts
echoing some of what's said above:

try the narrower saddle, per the sit bone measurement. no matter how much weight you gain or lose i don't believe your sit bones move, and they're the part of your butt designed to support the load. soreness after a long ride as you get "used to it" is totally normal. i get it while riding, especially when doing long seated climbs, but it does pass and lessens and you get used to it. try and keep as much weight over your legs as possible. i have a tendency when i get tired to sit back more, and get more upright, but that just makes it worse - more weight on your butt, less on the pedals through your legs. have you had the overall fit of your bike checked? things like bar height, reach, etc all make a huge difference.

the best combo i've personally found (i was around 205lb when i started doing a lot of miles, 185 now) is a properly padded set of bike shorts and the specialized romin evo with mirror saddle. there are similar types out there but the beauty of it is that the resistance or density of the padding varies over the entire saddle. rather than varying thickness the cellular structure varies, and it really works for me. keeps pressure away from where it shouldn't be. but worth noting that i tried three (the "mirror" version which is a different shape) and two widths before settling on the 143mm romin. the wider ones were not good, even with the fancy cover.
Old 07-15-22, 05:42 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 435 Posts
as others have noted, try a 143 width, and also as noted, getting a wider saddle doesn't necessarily mean it will properly support more.
there may be LBS near you that have loaner saddles... what do you have to lose?
Old 07-16-22, 04:13 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
I can't ride a Brooks either. Same problems and I weigh 148. The reason that Performance Bike has a good 100 different saddle models is that everyone's butt is different. You have experiment. A big bike shop is a good place to start. Things that make or break:
How wide?
Slot or no slot?
If slot how wide?
Shape, "T" or "pear"?
And where in between those limits?
Padding, how much?
There aren't any right answers.
Old 07-17-22, 08:50 AM
koala logs
Banned.

Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 140 Posts
I usually ride for 1.5-2 hours. Last weekend I tried riding for 4 hours. My butt was really sore. 4 days later. Still kind of sore. I rode for 1.5 today.
That's NORMAL.

Us much lighter riders can avoid such problem lifting our butts off the saddle frequently.

You definitely need wider saddle but don't go too wide. A too wide saddle will impose on your thighs/hamstrings and that is even worse.

A super wide saddle like an office chair is only comfortable to sit on all day because you're not pedaling on it. Pedaling requires a seat that will also clear the hamstrings so the right width for the individual has to be found.
Old 07-17-22, 08:56 AM
Jeff Neese

Quoted: 1083 Post(s)
Liked 684 Times in 440 Posts
Have you tried a Selle Anatomica? You would need the H series, for heavier riders. Most people love them.
Old 07-18-22, 06:33 AM
KFC
Harsh Adventurer

Bikes: Co-Op adv1.1, Cannondale Synapse 105 Carbon

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
You really should try a genuine LEATHER Brooks (Like the B17). The synthetic variety (C17) has IMO disappointed more than its fair share of cyclists. If you can't deal with the break-in period, usually about 400 miles, you can 'cook it' to expedite the process - basically, by repetitively soaking it in very warm water and going for a short ride. There are testimonials with instruction available on the web. My guess is that you will find the Brooks B17 more comfortable right out of the box, and it will only improve over time.