Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Help: Cateye Padrone keeps resetting while riding

Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Old 07-25-22, 01:01 PM
texasdiver

Bikes: Cannondale F2000, Co-Motion Periscope Torpedo, and many more

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I recently bought two Cateye Padrone bike computers. One for my road bike and one for my daughter's road bike. Last weekend on the Seattle to Portland ride I noticed that both bike computers reset several times at random moments during the ride. Like 3 or 4 times. Basically the trip meter and elapsed riding time just randomly resets back to zero. The odometer, time, and wheel circumference settings remain. So it is basically like if you cycle over to the ride mileage screen and press down until it resets to zero. This happens at random moments not due to big bumps or anything that might cause the reset button to be pressed.

Any idea of what is happening? One google search suggested that it might be interference with the rear safety flashers we have on. But I'm not interested in doing a 50 mile ride on the road without a rear flasher to test that theory. It is annoying enough to make me want to return these damn things.
Old 07-25-22, 02:20 PM
John Valuk

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 108 Posts
I don't know how many combinations of wireless computers and lights result in interference problems, but concern about that helped inform my decision to go with a Bontrager RIDEtime Elite.

It still has the "simple cyclocomputer" vibe to it, but it uses ANT+ sensors.
Old 07-25-22, 02:31 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,645 Times in 6,054 Posts
Return them, they're not doing what you bought them for.
Old 07-25-22, 02:45 PM
texasdiver

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
Return them, they're not doing what you bought them for.
Yeah. I threw out the packaging. But I think I will speak to my LBS where I bought them. But it isn't really their fault to eat the cost of a Cateye design failure. But they may have experienced the issue as well. It isn't like rear flashers are a new thing. The ones I have on my bike are at least 5 years old or more.
Old 07-27-22, 10:06 AM
texasdiver

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
OP here with an update. I brought these Padrones into my LBS and exchanged them for Garmin Edge 130 Plus models. Which cost more but were the cheapest upgrade option. Took them riding last night and I'm happy with the exchange. The display gives me all the information I want in a crystal clear bright screen and with the added benefit of being able to download my course maps after the fact. I always know where I am riding so I don't need maps on my handlebar. But it is nice to have a history of my rides so I can go back and see my average times and what rides I actually did on a given day.
Old 07-27-22, 10:20 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 929 Post(s)
Liked 1,595 Times in 1,021 Posts
Common problem on many different devices not just Cateye. I am thinking...

Loose battery

Old 07-27-22, 11:50 AM
texasdiver

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by zandoval
Common problem on many different devices not just Cateye. I am thinking...

Loose battery

I actually emailed Cateye customer service and they responded. They didn't come out and admit that their cheaper computers get interference from LED flashers. But they didn't deny it either and basically said that there are compromises with computers at that price point. They didn't mention loose batteries but rather, suggested upgrading to a more modern digital model.

I suspect they are well aware of this issue but don't have any alternatives at that price point. So they just keep selling the same old stuff they have been selling for 20+ years.
Likes For texasdiver: