Notices

DFW paths & trails

Old 05-07-21, 09:48 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, 1982 Stumpjumper, Alex Moulton AM, 2010 Dawes Briercliffe, 2017 Dahon Curl i8, 2021 Motobecane Turino 1x12

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1644 Post(s)
Liked 1,785 Times in 1,041 Posts
DFW paths & trails

Updates: Things are happening...at a glacial pace, but they are happening.

Construction has started on a bike/pedestrian bridge over US75/Central Expressway to connect the Northaven Trail to the White Rock Creek Trail.

Note: the SOPAC Trail extension is 'proposed', and for the foreseeable future it will remain ending in the liquor store parking lot on Greenville.

Fort Worth's Trinity Trail has pushed east to River Trails Park. However, two of the three times I've tried to ride out that far the low water bridge across the West Fork of the Trinity River @ Handley Ederville was under quite a bit of fast flowing water. Might need to pony up for an actual bridge, guys.

Plano has completed their Legacy Trail, making it possible to ride 32 miles solely on the path with no backtracking from 18th & Fireside in the east to Kings Manor & Brook Forest in the west. They lack only 500' across a muddy field to connect via path all the way to Allen's Stacy Ridge Park. And there's a new path that starts @ I & 12th Place and connects to Richardson west to UTD or south to Buckingham (although navigating City Line is a bit goofy).

In other news, the Plano mayorial candidate who was running on preventing the Hoblitzelle Trail to Russell Creek Greenbelt Trail connection (planned since 1985) from ever being constructed went down in flames (3.9% of the vote).

In 2001 McKinney, Frisco, Allen, Plano, Richardson and Garland won an award for their "Six Cities Trail Plan". The only actual link via path between any of these cities achieved in the 20 years since that I'm aware of is between Allen and McKinney @ Craig Ranch.

Connectivity. Glacial.

Last edited by tcs; 05-07-21 at 10:10 AM.
Likes For tcs:
Old 05-07-21, 03:21 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, 1982 Stumpjumper, Alex Moulton AM, 2010 Dawes Briercliffe, 2017 Dahon Curl i8, 2021 Motobecane Turino 1x12

Whoa, done plum forgot. Frisco has (finally!) connected their Taychas Trail to Allen's Rowlett Creek Trail via Plano's 0.2 mile long Rowlett Trail.
Likes For tcs:
Old 05-29-21, 11:09 AM
tcs
Palmer

Aaaaaand on June 10th the world's most expensive bike bridge, the Santiago Calatrava-designed, $122,000,000 Margaret McDermott over the Trinity River is set to open (just five years late).

https://www.dmagazine.com/frontburne...ns-next-month/

All that money, all that time, and neither end of the bridge is really connected to any other bike infrastructure.
Likes For tcs:
Old 05-29-21, 11:23 AM
tcs
Palmer

But hey, Dallas has connected the path along the Trinity from D/T to Irving's Campion Trail with a new bike bridge across the river.

This is a Pioneer (company) Trailblazer (model) bridge, a pre-fab steel truss bridge ordered complete and set in place with a crane. It's upstream from the $122,000,000 Margaret McDermott.

Last edited by tcs; 07-11-21 at 07:03 PM.
Old 06-04-21, 06:39 PM
bikebikebike

Bikes: Downtube IX NS&FS, Dahon Speed8Pro/Matrix/Curve, Brom S2L,Montague Para, ICE-XL w/Rollie/Schlumpf, Trident Spike, ebikes, BFSatRDay

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 80 Posts
It's SUCH a burden to ride under 75.
At least the homeless will have more shelter.
Really has gotten scary around 75 from the creek North

I got attacked on the SOPAC, last year in Vickery Meadow, where kids dropping rocks from the overpasses is frequent.
Police called it a Drive Thu Victim indecent and not uncommon.

Dallas is still 51 in bike friendly ranking. https://cityratings.peopleforbikes.org/cities/dallas-tx

Got any route tips for riding from Dallas to Ft Worth?
Only thing i've found is https://www.strava.com/routes/21987860
not sure how much of it is gravel

Be careful out there.

Last edited by bikebikebike; 06-04-21 at 07:57 PM.
Likes For bikebikebike:
Old 06-04-21, 08:25 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
Originally Posted by bikebikebike
It's SUCH a burden to ride under 75.
At least the homeless will have more shelter.
Really has gotten scary around 75 from the creek North

I got attacked on the SOPAC, last year in Vickery Meadow, where kids dropping rocks from the overpasses is frequent.
Police called it a Drive Thu Victim indecent and not uncommon.

Dallas is still 51 in bike friendly ranking. https://cityratings.peopleforbikes.org/cities/dallas-tx

Only thing i've found is https://www.strava.com/routes/21987860
not sure how much of it is gravel

Be careful out there.
I got your message but Bike Forums wouldn't forward my reply, some kind of auto-bot-moderation thing. So I'll just copy my reply here:

I've never ridden to Dallas and back. I'm on the west side of Fort Worth and mostly ride west of town in the rural and semi-rural areas.

Several friends have ridden to Dallas and back and say it's okay, especially in a group ride. Occasionally they'll take the train part of the way. Some of them ride 180 (Division, through Arlington), which sounds sketchy, but they're very experienced and confident urban cyclists. I'd try that only on a Sunday, at least the first time.

If you check the various D/FW cycling groups on Facebook you'll probably find a group taking that route or alternates. That's what I'd do my first time. Not so much for the perception of safety in numbers, but to be sure I don't get lost. I have zero sense of direction and usually get lost every time I explore a new route.
Old 06-04-21, 08:29 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Originally Posted by tcs
Aaaaaand on June 10th the world's most expensive bike bridge, the Santiago Calatrava-designed, $122,000,000 Margaret McDermott over the Trinity River is set to open (just five years late).

https://www.dmagazine.com/frontburne...ns-next-month/

All that money, all that time, and neither end of the bridge is really connected to any other bike infrastructure.
That's typical of most cycling infrastructure in the D/FW area and pretty much everywhere. It's just a hodge-podge of painted lines, bike icons and signs slapped on top of existing infrastructure.

But, hey, it enables the city to check off some boxes on a livability checklist when wooing new businesses to set up shop in the Metroplex. Most of Fort Worth's "bike lanes" are actually door zone/kill zones, between curbside parking and streets. But it's something the city could do quickly while trying to lure Amazon to park that promised alternate headquarters here.

The best cycling infrastructure is driver education and consequences for negligent driving.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 06-06-21, 04:59 PM
bikebikebike

Bikes: Downtube IX NS&FS, Dahon Speed8Pro/Matrix/Curve, Brom S2L,Montague Para, ICE-XL w/Rollie/Schlumpf, Trident Spike, ebikes, BFSatRDay

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 80 Posts
Thanks, guys.
I checked out the Strava trail I found and it is way too mucky for anything without 2.5 inch tires, especially during the Monsoon.
Dallas streets mandate big tires and the "Sharrow" bike lanes often have pot holes you could hide a frozen turkey in.
Arlington appears to hate bikes and buses, so using the train in the middle looks like a deal.
I too am not sure how much safer pack riding is, and I have had to link up bike trails using roads I should know better than to ride on.
Odd that so many leave quarter to half mile gaps without side walks even to link them.

FW is a much more civilized place , esp the West side . I grew up on my family's car lot on N. Henderson, back when such was there.
Dallas drivers are often serious jerks, when they pay attention.
Road maintenance gets an interesting discussion on the NotJustBikes YouTube, going into the unplanned long term expense of suburban expansion.
It is interesting how it get the way it is.
Old 06-09-21, 02:24 PM
tcs
Palmer

My wife and I have taken the train to Fort Worth and ridden back to Plano a couple of times.

Route updated with new bike paths (some of which are so new they don't show on the mapping software, so I just had to sketch them in). All paved. 120 miles Benbrook to Allen, about 85% cyclepaths or bikelanes. There's a place or two you have to lift your bike over a guardrail or walk across a median or something. I walk up the block of Brown Ave. because it's very steep and the sight lines are very short.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/36355705

When they finish with the trail under east 820, you can take the path on to River Trails Park and do this:

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/33059515

When Fort Worth connects to both ends of Arlington's trail (weird geography) and Grand Prairie connects their existing trail to the yet-to-be-built far eastern end of Fort Worth's trail, it will be cycle path pretty much all the way.

Don't hold your breath. I went to a meeting on this in 1980.

Last edited by tcs; 06-09-21 at 04:05 PM.
Old 06-09-21, 02:38 PM
tcs
Palmer

Originally Posted by canklecat
That's typical of most cycling infrastructure in the D/FW area and pretty much everywhere. It's just a hodge-podge of painted lines, bike icons and signs slapped on top of existing infrastructure.

But, hey, it enables the city to check off some boxes on a livability checklist when wooing new businesses to set up shop in the Metroplex.
Ah, familiar with the area, I see.

I was impressed with the cycle lane on Fort Worth's 7th Street Bridge:

Old 06-09-21, 06:10 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Originally Posted by tcs
Ah, familiar with the area, I see.

I was impressed with the cycle lane on Fort Worth's 7th Street Bridge:

Heh! That was the best use of that bridge by a cyclist in its history. I was disappointed by some of the humorless drones who criticized that stunt.

To be serious, though, I'm not a fan of using that sidewalk as a bike path on the 7th Street bridge.
  • The fence is too low. If cyclist falls sideways they'll go over the fence into the river, probably incurring serious or fatal injuries.
  • Diverting out of the traffic lane, onto the bridge sidewalk, then back to the traffic lane on the other side, en route to the Montgomery Plaza area, is more risky than taking and keeping the traffic lane.

There is a narrow "bike lane" between the bridge and the 7th Street district, but it's very narrow, and puts cyclists at risk of being invisible to impatient drivers exiting Montgomery Plaza and other shopping/dining parking lots. And the "bike lane" on the opposite side of 7th is a kill zone masquerading as a bike lane, adjacent to a curbside parking door zone.

7th Street designates the rightmost lane as a motor vehicle/bike lane, with signs saying cyclists may take the full lane. That should have been applied to all of 7th, from downtown to the starfish intersection of 7th Street, Camp Bowie Blvd, University, etc.

On group bike rides we usually take the right lane all the way between downtown and that starfish intersection, and vice versa. Safer for everyone because we aren't shuffling between a useless "bike lane" and back into the traffic lane, then back to the sidewalk, etc. Consistent and predictable is better... or, at least, less dangerous.

TBH, I avoid 7th Street whenever possible. It's turned into a redneck dragstrip during rush hour and weekends. The only time I'll ride it solo is after midnight when there's hardly any traffic on Camp Bowie all the way out to the west side where I live.
Old 07-05-21, 12:43 PM
tcs
Palmer

Dallas has realized they have a bike path gap compared to Houston, Austin, San Antonio and - gasp - Ft. Worth.

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/c00b94e...8-7a1a21b87bc5

The city has approved (but I don't believe funded - yet) the 'loop':

https://theloopdallas.org

The plan is to connect the SoPac Trail/Sante Fe Trail/White Rock Creek Trail to the AT&T Trail/Trinity Forest Trail via a new 'Trinity Forest Spine Trail', and connect the Katy Trail to the Strand Trail with a many intersection sidewalk they're going to call a bike path via the new High Line Connector Trail.

Last edited by tcs; 07-05-21 at 12:48 PM.
Likes For tcs:
Old 07-18-21, 02:11 PM
JLDickmon
dollar-store reject

Bikes: one big fat wad of classic Cannondale mtb's

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 20 Posts

FW is a much more civilized place , esp the West side .
Ft Worth also has better food, IMO.
Old 08-02-21, 02:28 PM
kozmic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We did routes across DFW last year, and we utilized the pathways extensively whenever we could... they are awesome.
Old 08-31-21, 11:18 AM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Quoted: 470 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 160 Posts
Are the trails around Grapevine lake complete, and paved and maintained?
I am in the Saginaw area and traffic near me is invigorating.
Old 09-01-21, 03:43 PM
c_m_shooter

Bikes: Soma Pescadero, Surly Pugsley, Salsa Fargo, Schwinn Klunker, Gravity SS 27.5, Monocog 29er

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 166 Posts
From Saginaw, just head south on Marine creek and pick up the Trinity Trail at the park there. I ride there from work all the time.
Old 11-01-21, 01:05 PM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Quoted: 10060 Post(s)
Liked 5,041 Times in 2,152 Posts
I’m in Dallas for the next three weeks. Brought my bike and my trainer with me, so far have just been using the trainer. I would like to ride outside but wanted some feed back from locals about if I should ride where I am located.

Currently candlewooods suites off of reggie and trinity post.

My plan at the moment was to ride the frontage road til I got to diplomacy ave and then join trinity post back towards candle wood. Basically a loop.

continue on trinity post across the highway and then make a right on euless west main street, make a right at airport freeway, right at canyon trails, right at american blvd and that will bring me back to trinity post.

Ive driven it a little bit, and depending on the time of day it doesn’t seem bad, if anybody has other recommendations I would appreciate it.
Old 11-01-21, 02:34 PM
c_m_shooter

Bikes: Soma Pescadero, Surly Pugsley, Salsa Fargo, Schwinn Klunker, Gravity SS 27.5, Monocog 29er

Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 166 Posts
If you can carry your bike on the car, drive to River Trails park near Precinct line and Trinity Blvd. Ride the trail past Gateway park, stop at Martin House brewery and head over to downtown Fort Worth. You aren't far from the stockyards at that point either.
Old 11-03-21, 08:29 PM
tcs
Palmer

Trinity east to Belt Line south in the car gets you to Lone Star Park (parking @ Grand Prairie Tourist HQ) where you can pick up the Lone Star Trail to the Campion Trail connecting across the river to the Trinity Skyline Trail, at Trammel Crow Park take the bike lane on Sylvan to the Trinity Strand Trail, connect on HiLine Drive to the Katy Trail to the University Crossing Trail to The Ridgeway Trail to the SoPac Trail - south to Santa Fe Trail or south to White Rock Lake - north to White Rock Creek Trail to the Cottonwood Creek Trail.

Last edited by tcs; 11-03-21 at 08:32 PM.
Old 11-04-21, 01:18 PM
tcs
Palmer

If you don't have a car, it's an easy ride down Center Station Drive to the Trinity Railway Express station.

https://trinityrailwayexpress.org

Two stops west gets you to the Richland Hill station. From there, ride down to Fort Worth's Trinity Trails that will take you all over, as CMShooter suggested.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/37934511

Two stops east on the Trinity Railway Express gets you to the West Irving Station. From there you'll ride two trails so new (how new are they?) so new that they're not on the map. This will get you to the Campion Trail that connects to Dallas, côme ce:

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/37934435

Note: The TRE does NOT run on Sundays.

"Fort Worth is where the west begins. Dallas is where the east peters out." - Amon Carter
Old 11-18-21, 02:44 AM
rodymanners

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
that's interesting
Old 11-22-21, 06:24 PM
JudeLaWyo

Bikes: Cervelo Caledonia'5, Girodana Scorpius

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have been wanting to see the picture of what this is going to look like. Thanks for posting!
Old 04-01-22, 08:57 AM
Cyclist0239879842
Banned.

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
There's a real wealth of information here for dfw riders who otherwise have to scour the internet for updates to the trail and to find temporary detours until it's completed in another 10 years. Thank you all, especially OP!

I was planning to make the trek (west and back) this weekend so if there have been any changes in the last 6 months I'd be eager to learn. -JD
Old 04-13-22, 07:18 AM
tcs
Palmer

When they announced a connection between the White Rock Creek Trail and the Northaven Trail with new bridges over White Rock Creek and North Central Expressway US 75, I looked at the decade+ long time line of the bridge over Mockingbird and thought 'Grand opening will be in 2034.'

Dye me green and call me Kermit! Construction is moving along. If you've driven Central (I'm sorry) you've seen the construction at Northaven Drive for the 'signature' bridge over the freeway. The bridge over White Rock Creek is coming along, too.

Last edited by tcs; 04-13-22 at 08:02 AM.
Old 04-13-22, 07:31 AM
tcs
Palmer

Construction at Gaston&Garland has cut the path connection between White Rock and the Santa Fe Trail. Gov'mint suggested detour:

Hey, I know there are cyclists who just won't ride on streets, and whatever works for you is cool, it's all good, but if it was me, I'd take Lakewood Blvd to West Shore Dr.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.