Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Surly Corner Bar an interesting idea

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Surly Corner Bar an interesting idea

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-21, 07:28 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,181 Times in 771 Posts
Originally Posted by DorkDisk
Complaining about Surly being steel and heavy is not understanding Surly or steel.
I totally understand Surly. It's the reason I won't own any of their bikes.
Likes For prj71:
Old 08-05-21, 08:42 AM
DarkSkyHUnter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Is there any other product on the market like the Corner Bar? I've looked and looked and haven't found a product remotely close.

I've even looked at seeing if my components would slide onto some of the flared gravel bike handle bars.

I'm strongly considering having a custom bar, using this idea, catered to me specific needs.
Old 08-09-21, 06:14 PM
PDKL45

Bikes: Merida Speeder

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 165 Times in 115 Posts
Originally Posted by DarkSkyHUnter
Is there any other product on the market like the Corner Bar? I've looked and looked and haven't found a product remotely close.

I've even looked at seeing if my components would slide onto some of the flared gravel bike handle bars.

I'm strongly considering having a custom bar, using this idea, catered to me specific needs.
SOMA Gator bar. 23.8 up top and 22.2 down in the drops, like the handlebar a Salsa Woodchipper wants to grow up to be. They were one of those really good Evan Baird ideas before his acrimonious departure from the brand.
Old 08-14-21, 05:35 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,528 Times in 916 Posts

No one likes my suggestion of a flipped Jones loop riser bar? I thought it was pretty good.
Old 08-14-21, 05:49 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
They seem only vaguely similar in top view, and the Surly product is a lot more 3D.

I’ll try it but may stick with my Bends. I want my hands about in line with the clamp and it just depends how they fall to hand.

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 08-14-21 at 05:56 PM.
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 08-14-21, 09:51 PM
DarkSkyHUnter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Korina
No one likes my suggestion of a flipped Jones loop riser bar? I thought it was pretty good.
I tried that Jones Bar, but the 45 degree back sweep is not compatible for me. The lateral oscillations from the uneven torque of my short arm was a total nightmare. That's the reason I want a narrow hood position (> 40 cm). It greatly reduces the uneven torque issues I have.
Old 08-15-21, 03:56 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,528 Times in 916 Posts
I tried that Jones Bar, but the 45 degree back sweep is not compatible for me. The lateral oscillations from the uneven torque of my short arm was a total nightmare. That's the reason I want a narrow hood position (> 40 cm). It greatly reduces the uneven torque issues I have.
Good point, thanks.
Old 08-16-21, 08:24 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 570 Posts
Velo Orange has a new version of the Crazy Bar coming out soon. It softens the 45 degree backsweep angle to 35 degrees, and also widens the bar, which is probably good news for many.

Velo Orange Crazy Bars Get a Redesign - BIKEPACKING.com
Likes For hokiefyd: