Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Trek Dual Sport sold out - lead time=6/7 months. Seeking advice on equivalent models

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Trek Dual Sport sold out - lead time=6/7 months. Seeking advice on equivalent models

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-21, 09:13 PM
sam99

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Hi. I haven't ridden a bike in 25 years and am new to bikes. So far, I have test ridden trek verve, giant roam 4, giant talon, momentum Verde , Fuji 1.3 and Cannondale trail 8

I loved the comfort of verve 3 but find Roam 4 to be the best compromise. My brother has a Trek dual sport 1 but no one has it in stock and the wait time on that is ~7 months. Is there a another bike like dual sport and roam I should consider? Thanks in advance

Budget: $600- $750 - prefer to save $ Height and weight: 5'4" -190 lbs

Purpose: my use case perfectly matches trek dual sport and giant roam manf website descriptions. Light trails/gravel, paved paths, local neighborhood, not going to be on the main road but some riding on inside roads and small inclines. Won't have time to ride for more than 1.5 to 2hrs/day

Purchase timeframe: Sooner the better. Wouldn't mind wait time of 3 months but hopefully, I won't have to wait that long.

Bike being considered: Giant Roam 4 and 3

Other models hoping to test ride:
- Marin San Rafael DS2
- Specialized crosstrail series
- Cannondale CX series

Final update: OMG... I got trek verve 3 2021 from craigslist for $650!!! He gave me the original reciept too.. total price with accessories was $1475 after tax

Bike was in mint & shiny condition and came with fenders, water cage+ bottle, expensive front and rear lights, kickstand and some kind of lcd calculator like thingy on the handle bar. Unbelievable!!!

Thank you all. My search is over.

Last edited by sam99; 08-24-21 at 03:34 PM.
Old 08-21-21, 10:01 PM
sam99

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
After reading through four pages of posts, I now realize I can't complain about 7 month wait time. It appears I decided to get into biking at the worst possible time.
Likes For sam99:
Old 08-22-21, 09:14 AM
msalvetti

Bikes: 2021 Trek FX Sport 4, ~1996 Mongoose Crossway 4.50

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 1,308 Times in 433 Posts
I hear you. I'm new here too. I have a decent 20-yr old hybrid that I've been riding around 60 miles a week this year. Never did that kind of mileage before. Earliest date for an upgrade (maybe a Trek FX3) is currently April, and the shop told me they ordered those months ago. If they were to place an order now, they wouldn't expect it to come in until November 2022. There isn't even anything available for test rides.

But at least I have a bike. Hoping it stays in one piece until spring.

Good luck with your search!

Mark
Old 08-22-21, 09:19 AM
sam99

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by msalvetti
I hear you. I'm new here too. I have a decent 20-yr old hybrid that I've been riding around 60 miles a week this year. Never did that kind of mileage before. Earliest date for an upgrade (maybe a Trek FX3) is currently April, and the shop told me they ordered those months ago. If they were to place an order now, they wouldn't expect it to come in until November 2022. There isn't even anything available for test rides.

But at least I have a bike. Hoping it stays in one piece until spring.

Good luck with your search!

Mark
Thanks for sharing. I found a mint condition Cannondale quick cx3 2020 - list price =$800. 😂. I have offered $450. Let's see what happens. I think the best I can do right now is to stick to used market.
Likes For sam99:
Old 08-22-21, 11:55 AM
M Rose

Bikes: 2021 Trek Verve 2 Disk

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 80 Posts
Originally Posted by sam99
Thanks for sharing. I found a mint condition Cannondale quick cx3 2020 - list price =$800. 😂. I have offered $450. Let's see what happens. I think the best I can do right now is to stick to used market.
I was going to suggest looking at the used market… I too am looking for another bike… I was lucky when I got my Verve 2 Disk back in April, the LBS had an XL in stock… my wife wasn’t as lucky and we had to order hers. Her Verve 2 Disk Low-Step came in at the beginning of August.

Now plans have changed and she is wanting an E-Bike, and I’m wanting a touring bike. So I’m hitting the used market for the touring bike, she’s getting lucky and the LBS has the E-Bike in stock for her.
Old 08-22-21, 12:58 PM
sam99

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by M Rose
I was going to suggest looking at the used market… I too am looking for another bike… I was lucky when I got my Verve 2 Disk back in April, the LBS had an XL in stock… my wife wasn’t as lucky and we had to order hers. Her Verve 2 Disk Low-Step came in at the beginning of August.

Now plans have changed and she is wanting an E-Bike, and I’m wanting a touring bike. So I’m hitting the used market for the touring bike, she’s getting lucky and the LBS has the E-Bike in stock for her.
Good hunting in used market. Hopefully, once the pandemic is over and inventory returns to normal, I will try ebike
Likes For sam99:
Old 08-23-21, 06:03 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 570 Posts
Add the Giant Roam to your list of bikes similar to the Dual Sport.
Old 08-23-21, 06:11 AM
sam99

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by hokiefyd
Add the Giant Roam to your list of bikes similar to the Dual Sport.
Yup. I test rode it and liked it a lot. Thanks.
Old 08-23-21, 07:25 AM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 123 Posts
Heh, if you were near Shepherdstown WV, I would tell you the lbs has a nice blue large Roam 1x9 or 10...it has the deore... Was there this past Saturday picking up parts. The bike is nice.

Another suggestion, if your near Chambersburg PA, just south of Chambersburg is a small town called Greencastle. They have a nice Scott shop and may have some Sub Cross's as well.

Depending on your budget, the following is going to receive shipments in this December. If interested, you may want to order soon:

Save up to 60% off New SRAM Eagle/Rockshox Equipped Super Hybrid Bicycles | Adventure Hybrid 29er Bikes Elite Adventure Sport Trail

Another interesting dual sport bike: https://www.jamisbikes.com/dxt
Old 08-23-21, 02:48 PM
guachi

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 179 Posts
Originally Posted by sam99
After reading through four pages of posts, I now realize I can't complain about 7 month wait time. It appears I decided to get into biking at the worst possible time.
If you're interested in the Trek I've found the online inventory search function to be very helpful. I've found bikes and parts all around my area. Give it a try and you might be able to find a bike in a week.
Old 08-23-21, 09:42 PM
Rappy1

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Whilst I'm relatively new to cycling, i love my Marin San Rafael DS2. It does everything I need it to do and it has lock out on the front shock, this helps, especially pedaling up hill.
The brakes are very responsive and provide all the stopping power I need to pull up my 105kg mass.
I was thinking of changing the tyres to a more road going pair, however whilst out cycling i feel the standard ones probably suit the riding i do, which is predominantly paved with occasional fine gravel section.
I have put about 700km on it so far. The only issue in that period was a bit of glass puncturing the front tyre. Since then i bought a small cycling tool kit that includes, pump and some tools to allow tube replacement, just incase.
Old 08-23-21, 09:57 PM
sam99

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Rappy1
Whilst I'm relatively new to cycling, i love my Marin San Rafael DS2. It does everything I need it to do and it has lock out on the front shock, this helps, especially pedaling up hill.
The brakes are very responsive and provide all the stopping power I need to pull up my 105kg mass.
I was thinking of changing the tyres to a more road going pair, however whilst out cycling i feel the standard ones probably suit the riding i do, which is predominantly paved with occasional fine gravel section.
I have put about 700km on it so far. The only issue in that period was a bit of glass puncturing the front tyre. Since then i bought a small cycling tool kit that includes, pump and some tools to allow tube replacement, just incase.
Unfortunately, none of the local bike shops in a 1 hr radius have it in stock. Thanks for sharing your experience
Old 10-05-21, 10:37 AM
Bholz

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Marketplace is def. the way to go! People love buying new things and end up getting sick of them very quickly! It is awesome.
Old 10-05-21, 11:12 AM
sam99

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Bholz
Marketplace is def. the way to go! People love buying new things and end up getting sick of them very quickly! It is awesome.
I Bought
- trek verve 3 from craigslist.
- Cannondale Treadwell 3 from marketplace- giant roam from local bicycle shop (lbs)- momentum vida from lbs
IF one has patience and is flexible, used market is the def. the way to go
Likes For sam99: