Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Have you ever just left without a destination?

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Have you ever just left without a destination?

Old 09-01-21, 06:55 PM
KPREN

Bikes: 2008 S Works Stumpjumper FSR Carbon, 2016 E Fat Titanium Bike Custom built by me.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 118 Posts
It is relatively easy to do a no destination trip in areas where there is water food and shelter to be had with a credit card. It's also easy in non arid areas where there is a lot of public land to find camping. It's no where near as easy in arid lands where water and food may be scarce and known routes are needed through canyonlands. Its also tough in rural areas of small plot private farm land and few hotels. You end up knocking on doors. It works and most of the time you can pitch a tent but it is more stressful.
Old 09-02-21, 04:42 AM
Colorado Kid

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 82 Posts
Back when, hostel were big in the US ( 80's) and you could travel almost anywhere for not a lot of dough. I did a lot of what we call, "Credit Card" touring. Just pack up and go where ever the wind took me. Yes, those where the days!
Old 09-03-21, 10:23 PM
dgodave
Behold my avatar:

Bikes: 2019 Gorilla Monsoon, 2013 Surly Krampus, Brompton folder

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 6941 Post(s)
Liked 441 Times in 288 Posts
Quite a few years ago I arrived in Toulouse France planning to backpack around the country taking trains here and there.

But on day 2 I rented a bike just to roll around for the day and decided right away I wanted the whole trip to be a bike tour instead. So I bought a cheap used "city bike" with a rear rack and some low gearing. Bungee corded the backpack to the rack and off I went for about two and a half weeks, choosing my destinations the night before typically, and leapfrogging ahead by train every 3 or 4 days. Did some fairly hard rides on the cheap old bike.

Last edited by dgodave; 09-04-21 at 07:54 AM.