Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

1980 SR Semi Pro

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

1980 SR Semi Pro

Old 09-05-21, 06:13 PM
LibertyFLS
GDFTR

Bikes: '74 Falcon San Remo, '80 SR Semi Pro, '88 Trek 360, '18 Fairdale Goodship

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 44 Posts
1980 SR Semi Pro

Documenting my (kids) 1980 SR Semi Pro. Bought around 11/2020.

Discovered frame and forks were bent so got a straight pair from thook and had them chromed at a local place. Also got some super clean Diacompe levers and an Arabesque rear derailleur that was missing when I got the bike.

I watched and read about straightening frames and did my best with a long 2x4 and it actually came out really good, about as close to perfect as it can be without going on a jig. To my eye I no longer detect anything and it goes perfectly straight hands free where it used to pull hard to the side.

Put the Mavic wheels that were on my Falcon on this for a temporary swap that I decided to make permanent. Replaced the seatpost with one the correct diameter and changed no name bars to some Sakae Modolo Anatomic Bend bars. I put some nos Tange Champion stickers on it, not sure if it’s actually champion (original forks and new ones are 100% Tange stamped) but don’t really care, they look nice and it’s not a museum perfect time capsule anyhow. Velo Orange brake cables finished it off.

Pics from for sale post

After I got it home

First ride

swapped to 700c Mavics from my Falcon late last year. Still had the aero levers it came with

how it sits now with all the changes done.

original bike shop sticker in perfect condition. Place is still in business

hanging with older brother
Likes For LibertyFLS:
Old 09-14-21, 03:35 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 2304 Post(s)
Liked 2,742 Times in 1,499 Posts
nice bike.... pretty sure it was Tange No. 2 for the tubes

my looks pretty similar to mine..... (took the front rack off tried it, didn't like)

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 09-15-21, 07:17 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 652 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4719 Post(s)
Liked 3,034 Times in 1,874 Posts
I didn't think they were using the contrasting head tube on this model for the 1980 model year. However, it's still using brake cable clamps, so it's pre 1983. Most of the Semi-Pro from this era were manufactured by Miki, who have a known serial number format, that will tell us the year. The serial number will provide confirmation on the year and manufacturer.
Old 09-15-21, 07:39 AM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 2,173 Times in 1,178 Posts
That is one beautiful bike, I have always wanted one. It looks like you did an amazing job with the frame corrections!
Best, Ben

Voice recognition may sometimes create odd spelling and grammatical errors

Old 09-15-21, 10:33 AM
LibertyFLS
GDFTR

Bikes: '74 Falcon San Remo, '80 SR Semi Pro, '88 Trek 360, '18 Fairdale Goodship

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 44 Posts
T-Mar you actually are the one who informed me it’s a 1980 and probably Miki last year around the time I got it.

I ordered a rack for the back so my boy can put his backpack and start riding to school 3 miles.

didn’t notice how washed out some of my pics were. Here’s a few more representative.

Old 09-15-21, 02:42 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 652 Post(s)
Quoted: 4719 Post(s)
Liked 3,034 Times in 1,874 Posts
Originally Posted by LibertyFLS
T-Mar you actually are the one who informed me it’s a 1980 and probably Miki last year around the time I got it....
Yes, that is correct. I went back and checked. The S/N is consistent with a 1980 model manufactured by Miki. It probably didn't trigger any rmemory because the only photo that was submitted at that time was one of the S/N on the BB shell.
Likes For T-Mar: