Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Less weight on hands with LONGER reach?

Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Old 07-11-21, 09:53 AM
pbass

Bikes: 2016 Surly Cross Check, 2019 Kona Rove ST

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 211 Posts

I have a Surly Cross Check that I'm always messing with, changing bars--flats, drops, "alt" type bars w backsweep. It works a number of ways, it's a WIP. These bikes are known for their long top tube and short head tube and can be tricky to fit for some. I actually went down a frame size on mine from the first one I had. One phenomenon that seems really counter-intuitive is that when I extend my reach w different bars, I feel like I'm putting less weight on my hands. I suppose it's because I'm engaging my core more because I simply have to. The opposite is true with the alt flat bars w significant backsweep---they're fun and put me in a more upright, theoretically comfy position, but I end up kinda scrunched and leaning on my hands. This does not seem to be the case though with my other bike, where it's more what I'd expect - shorter reach, less weight on hands. Looking at the two bikes side-by-side, and measuring things, they're actually really close the way I've got them set up. Just something about the Cross Check frame....it's weird...

Last edited by pbass; 07-11-21 at 10:17 AM.
Old 07-11-21, 11:05 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6099 Post(s)
Liked 4,730 Times in 3,260 Posts
I think many of us have found that out. It's much to do with You'll never know what you don't try. But like other things it's not the fix for everyone. Some of us it's worked for and other it doesn't. Too many other things that contribute to why it works or doesn't. Many of which we'll never know.

I feel too many get wrapped up in formulas and old adages and have issues just because they hold on to those things and never try different.

We try to tell them, but they keep bringing up the formulas and stuff.
Old 07-11-21, 11:18 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3872 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
Originally Posted by pbass
I have a Surly Cross Check that I'm always messing with, changing bars--flats, drops, "alt" type bars w backsweep. It works a number of ways, it's a WIP. These bikes are known for their long top tube and short head tube and can be tricky to fit for some. I actually went down a frame size on mine from the first one I had. One phenomenon that seems really counter-intuitive is that when I extend my reach w different bars, I feel like I'm putting less weight on my hands. I suppose it's because I'm engaging my core more because I simply have to. The opposite is true with the alt flat bars w significant backsweep---they're fun and put me in a more upright, theoretically comfy position, but I end up kinda scrunched and leaning on my hands. This does not seem to be the case though with my other bike, where it's more what I'd expect - shorter reach, less weight on hands. Looking at the two bikes side-by-side, and measuring things, they're actually really close the way I've got them set up. Just something about the Cross Check frame....it's weird...
Your are correct. It is counter-intuitive. It's all about torque. When one leans forward on a bike, one's center of gravity moves forward of the saddle, creating a torque about the saddle. One can support the torso by using one's core muscles, but what's really happening is that one is creating a counter-torque using the pedals and saddle. If you took your feet out of the pedals, you'd fall forward. But supporting the upper body with only core muscles gets tiring. We prefer also to use our arms to support our upper body, thus creating another counter-torque. Torque is force X distance. The greater the distance, the lower the force necessary to create the same torque.

Note that I'm assuming we are trying to resist a constant torque. If in moving one's hands forward, one also leans more forward, or scoots more forward on the saddle, the force on the hands is not lessened by moving them forward. Thus first we get well balanced on the bike using saddle position at our comfortable hip angle and then select stem length for comfort. I suggest that the difference between the two bikes is saddle position w/r to the forward pedal, cranks horizontal, or possibly hip angle.
Old 07-11-21, 01:00 PM
pbass

Bikes: 2016 Surly Cross Check, 2019 Kona Rove ST

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 211 Posts
Torque---yes indeed. I never really put it together, but for sure, when I "unweight" my hands, I'm applying more pressure to the pedals to create that torque in my bent-over body (along with engaging my core more and whatever I'm doing unconsciously on the saddle) to hold myself up.
Likes For pbass: