Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Importance of foot retention

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Importance of foot retention

Old 08-09-21, 09:32 PM
SpeedyBlueBiker

Bikes: 1999 Giant ATX MTB, 2002 Lemond Zurich, 2018 Fuji Transonic 2.3, 2019 Specialized Tarmac Disc Expert

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 391 Times in 226 Posts
I too like the feeling of "one with the bike" when I am clipped in. I feel like I have much more control of the bike especially when going over rough bits of road. I also use mtn bike clipless pedals on my mtn bike for the same reason.
Old 08-30-21, 11:24 AM
billnuke1 

Bikes: Only my riders left...

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 389 Posts
!

Finally found some info on my favorite toe clips…

Old 08-30-21, 01:25 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 611 Times in 376 Posts
I find it quite humourous that people want to argue over something that they can easily test themselves and make up their own mind. Who cares what other people say or what data is collected when you can make up your own mind?
I find it tragic that so many folks reckon their intuition or what their mate says can possibly trump hard science.
Hard science doesn't say a lot about individual results. One has to do one's own testing to know what is best for oneself.

I kept falling with clipless. I kept having hotspots with clipless. Given a choice between spending time, energy, and money on adjustments, different shoes, different clips, etc., etc., etc. and using pedals that I knew worked for me, I went back to pedals I knew worked for me, with toe clips and straps but not cleats. Easy choice. Then I switched to flats with pin and Five Ten shoes.

That was 5 years ago, and I've gotten more skilled as a rider. My feet are too wide for quill pedals (my frame was built 49 years ago), but I wish I had rat traps and clips instead of pinned flats. But my budget still is limited, and my time and energy are more and more limited, so now my choice is between experimenting with rat traps or continuing to ride with pinned flats. In fact, maybe my increased skill level would make clipless a great choice for me now. I'll wait until I need new shoes to experiment again.

BTW, the ability to move my foot on quills and pinned flat pedals has so far allowed me to 'cure' the knee pain that has surfaced during some rides. That usually requires a lot more than 6 degrees of float.

Science provides probabilities. Individuals have to deal with tradeoffs and their own idiosyncrasies. One size usually does NOT fit all.