Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

What size do I fit?

Search
Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

What size do I fit?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-21, 01:07 PM
idk what to say

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
What size do I fit?

Im trying to buy a bike second hand on a low budget just to feel biking again and to see if its for me. I am quite short at 5'2-5'4, I tired finding my answer on my own but its quite confusing TBH. I was looking at this vintage bike but I'm not sure if its too small for me since here's a comparison with a larger bike.

Thanks for your help!
Old 07-31-21, 05:35 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
I take it that you've seen the bike in person. Are those wheels 27"? Is the saddle in the photo adjusted so that you could sit on it and barely reach a down pedal with your heel, without severely rocking your hips? If not, can it be so adjusted? Sitting on the saddle and leaning forward and holding the tops of the brake levers, do your upper arms make something like a 90° angle with your torso?

If the answers to the above are yes, it'll work fine.
Old 07-31-21, 05:55 PM
idk what to say

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
I take it that you've seen the bike in person. Are those wheels 27"? Is the saddle in the photo adjusted so that you could sit on it and barely reach a down pedal with your heel, without severely rocking your hips? If not, can it be so adjusted? Sitting on the saddle and leaning forward and holding the tops of the brake levers, do your upper arms make something like a 90° angle with your torso?

If the answers to the above are yes, it'll work fine.
I did not see it in person, but I wanted to know what frame and wheel size does a 5'2-5'4 person use. thanks!
Old 07-31-21, 07:30 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Originally Posted by idk what to say
I did not see it in person, but I wanted to know what frame and wheel size does a 5'2-5'4 person use. thanks!
Ah. That's a little more complicated. If you are of average proportions, a frame size of 49-50 cm should be about right. If you're not, go to this website: https://www.competitivecyclist.com/S...ulatorBike.jsp
and with an assistant, take the required measurement and put them in. The calculator will produce some figures for different styles of fit. Look at them all. The two most important frame measurements are effective seat tube length and top tube length. So then you need those measurement for the bike in which you are interested. If they're close, you're golden, close meaning within a couple centimeters.

The bike you're considering is a rather old frame style and the bars are a bit weird. It's really something you want to sit on and then take for a ride.
Old 08-01-21, 05:07 AM
idk what to say

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Ah. That's a little more complicated. If you are of average proportions, a frame size of 49-50 cm should be about right. If you're not, go to this website: https://www.competitivecyclist.com/S...ulatorBike.jsp
and with an assistant, take the required measurement and put them in. The calculator will produce some figures for different styles of fit. Look at them all. The two most important frame measurements are effective seat tube length and top tube length. So then you need those measurement for the bike in which you are interested. If they're close, you're golden, close meaning within a couple centimeters.

The bike you're considering is a rather old frame style and the bars are a bit weird. It's really something you want to sit on and then take for a ride.
Alright, thanks! What does seat tube length mean? I presume top tube length is height?
Old 08-01-21, 08:03 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Originally Posted by idk what to say
Alright, thanks! What does seat tube length mean? I presume top tube length is height?
Google is a real thing.
https://surlybikes.com/info_hole/spew/spew_bike_fit

​​​​​​​
Old 08-01-21, 08:20 AM
idk what to say

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Talking

LOL, my bad.
Old 08-01-21, 08:34 AM
grizzly59

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 262 Times in 164 Posts
This is pretty easy to read:

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/frame-sizing.html

You can also put smoother tires on an old 26” mountain bike, may make a good fit.
Old 08-02-21, 08:47 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6179 Post(s)
Liked 4,796 Times in 3,308 Posts
Slight differences in bar and stem reach, crank length and lots of other things will change how even the same exact frame feel too you.

There really is no standards document that says a 50cm frame must be this top tube length and this seat tube angle or anything else. And on those old bikes, even if you go by the original manufacturers suggest for the size you should get, you don't know that someone in the many years since new didn't change the stem or bars to change the reach or changed cranks to change crank length.

So you really need to try them on. Make sure to ensure the saddle can be set to your height leaving enough post in the seat tube and that you will be in a comfortable position with your reach to where your hands will be on the bars.

If you are going to buy without being able to try, then just don't spend so much that you can't get another if you chose poorly.
Likes For Iride01: