Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

is riding on Gravel much harder on drivetrains?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 08-25-21, 05:27 PM
Symox

Bikes: '23 Poseidon Redwood, '07 Specialized Roubaix Comp Triple, '12 Gravity Fixie, '21 Liv Rove 4, '06? Giant EB Spirit

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 151 Posts

I'm wondering if the grit from casual gravel riding will wear out drivetrains much faster.

I'll shut up and ride now
Old 08-25-21, 06:07 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1971 Post(s)
Liked 1,297 Times in 629 Posts
Originally Posted by Symox
I'm wondering if the grit from casual gravel riding will wear out drivetrains much faster.
Yes. It's only in serious gravel riding that you'll come across grit that's specially designed to minimize added drivetrain wear.
Likes For HTupolev:
Old 08-25-21, 06:16 PM
gringomojado

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 86 Posts
gravel dust is VERY abrasive!

gm
Likes For gringomojado:
Old 08-25-21, 06:30 PM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked 903 Times in 486 Posts
IMHO New England winter road sand that penetrates into the road and wet road crud is far harder on my drivetrain than riding on unpaved surfaces.

Last edited by Ghazmh; 08-26-21 at 05:28 AM.
Likes For Ghazmh:
Old 08-25-21, 06:30 PM
Zaskar

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 156 Posts
Gravel riding is harder on every part of the bike... and it's worth it.
Likes For Zaskar:
Old 08-25-21, 07:33 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3638 Post(s)
Liked 5,315 Times in 2,700 Posts
Originally Posted by Symox
I'll shut up and ride now
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 08-25-21, 07:52 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,391 Times in 4,148 Posts
Faster? Sure.
Much faster? Nah.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 08-25-21, 08:43 PM
mihlbach

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 67 Posts
Any situation that throws more dust and dirt into your chain than would occur on clean dry roads will result in faster wear.
Old 08-26-21, 06:03 AM
PeteHski

Quoted: 4274 Post(s)
Liked 4,712 Times in 2,911 Posts
I find riding in the wet has by far the biggest impact on drivetrain wear. Especially off-road where all the dirt and grit sticks to your drivetrain.
I would say dry gravel/off-road causes less wear than wet road riding.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 08-26-21, 06:56 AM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 1,040 Times in 663 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Faster? Sure.
Much faster? Nah.
I’d tend to agree. Most of my riding is on crushed stone trails that are mostly dry in summer and saturated (frozen or muddy) in winter. I still get about 3000 miles on a chain. I do ride SS, so there is a lot less stuff to deal with. I just wipe the chain with a paper towel after a ride and put on dry lube when it’s noisy.

Otto
Old 08-26-21, 08:44 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,270 Times in 588 Posts
Originally Posted by ofajen
I’d tend to agree. Most of my riding is on crushed stone trails that are mostly dry in summer ....

Otto
Same here; the dust is crazy when the weather has been dry. I have one of those Park Tool chain cleaning gizmos and I clean the chain and gears several times each season. I am sure the dust is no good.

It's funny when I put the bike on the car and drive somewhere where the trail is 100% paved. My dusty bike stands out against all the gleaming shiny clean bikes that never see the limestone trails.
Old 08-26-21, 04:31 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 1,040 Times in 663 Posts
Originally Posted by Reflector Guy
Same here; the dust is crazy when the weather has been dry. I have one of those Park Tool chain cleaning gizmos and I clean the chain and gears several times each season. I am sure the dust is no good.

It's funny when I put the bike on the car and drive somewhere where the trail is 100% paved. My dusty bike stands out against all the gleaming shiny clean bikes that never see the limestone trails.
A lot of us year round riders around here just don’t bother. It’s hopeless. I just do the least bothersome routine. Wipe dust off the chain with a paper towel. Occasional dry lube. Leave the bike dusty most of the time. In winter I do squirt the mud off the BB area and use fenders on the MTB.

Otto
Old 08-27-21, 05:19 AM
GBK233

Bikes: 2020 Giant Advanced 2, 2020 Giant Contend AR1

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by mihlbach
Any situation that throws more dust and dirt into your chain than would occur on clean dry roads will result in faster wear.
Safe to assume that melted wax chain lube would protect chain/drivetrain from dust etc better than conventional lubes? I don’t gravel ride, but now that I use melted wax…..I don’t even think about my chain for at least 150-200miles. Previously, I was cleaning my chain at least once a week.
Old 08-27-21, 06:12 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by GBK233
Safe to assume that melted wax chain lube would protect chain/drivetrain from dust etc better than conventional lubes? I don’t gravel ride, but now that I use melted wax…..I don’t even think about my chain for at least 150-200miles. Previously, I was cleaning my chain at least once a week.
Definitely. It was mountain biking that convinced me that wax based lubes require less drivetrain cleaning and mess.
Old 08-27-21, 09:09 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
There is a lot of grit, dust and sand on the paved roads I ride. So if riding in your gravel causes more wear and tear, it's probably not much. Possibly more wear and tear will come from simply the more power that is required to be handled by your drivetrain to ride on those conditions.

Now if you are rolling around on the ground with your bike trying to get the fleas off of you then I suppose there is a good chance you'll get more grit in the bearings.
Old 08-27-21, 09:18 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8191 Post(s)
Liked 8,849 Times in 4,396 Posts
I don't have a gravel bike but I've done a bit of mountain biking in extremely dusty conditions. If I use a light chain lube it seems to get pretty dry after a couple hours in the dust, but when I use Finish Line wet lube, it stays lubed a lot longer. Sure, it's messy, but it stays on.

To be honest I am terrible at maintenance and definitely don't obsess over drivetrains. If I did have a gravel bike it would get the same lack of attention as the rest of my bikes.
Old 08-27-21, 11:05 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by big john
I don't have a gravel bike but I've done a bit of mountain biking in extremely dusty conditions. If I use a light chain lube it seems to get pretty dry after a couple hours in the dust, but when I use Finish Line wet lube, it stays lubed a lot longer. Sure, it's messy, but it stays on.

To be honest I am terrible at maintenance and definitely don't obsess over drivetrains. If I did have a gravel bike it would get the same lack of attention as the rest of my bikes.
Wet lube and dust makes a fantastic grinding paste. It makes the drivetrain appear quiet and well lubed, but the wear rate goes sky high. I moved away from wet lubes a very long time ago for that reason and my mtb drivetrains last a LOT longer now.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 08-27-21, 11:30 AM
OldRailfan
Old enough, hmmm?

Bikes: DeVinci, Bianchi, Nishiki, RBSM Mud Adder

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 113 Times in 82 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
Wet lube and dust makes a fantastic grinding paste. It makes the drivetrain appear quiet and well lubed, but the wear rate goes sky high. I moved away from wet lubes a very long time ago for that reason and my mtb drivetrains last a LOT longer now.
It's like very course grit lapping compound and it is very messy as one will find out when for some strange reason the chain gets jammed.........as happened to me at the start of the week. Very messy.
Extra wipes and a pair of thin work gloves have now been added to the saddle baggie. If that "stuff" gets on a light coloured jersey ... oh dear.