Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bad news for me and SMP

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Bad news for me and SMP

Old 11-01-22, 08:18 AM
George

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
Bad news for me and SMP

I’m on my second Smp drakon saddle and I just noticed that the top is coming off this one just like my last one. I don’t know if I’ll buy another one or not. I bought the one I have now in 2019 and the one before was bought in 2017. Anyhow, about every 4k I have to buy another one.
Old 11-01-22, 08:54 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,942 Times in 1,905 Posts
are you squeezing the seat within your cheeks or something? If so, those are some strong rump muscles.
Old 11-01-22, 11:04 AM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 1,195 Times in 687 Posts
Pictures...
Saddle that is, not cheeks.

Barry
Likes For Barry2:
Old 11-02-22, 09:12 AM
KerryIrons

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 355 Posts
Originally Posted by George
I’m on my second Smp drakon saddle and I just noticed that the top is coming off this one just like my last one. I don’t know if I’ll buy another one or not. I bought the one I have now in 2019 and the one before was bought in 2017. Anyhow, about every 4k I have to buy another one.
That is ridiculously low mileage for a saddle unless there are some kind of unusual circumstances. When you say the top is coming off I assume you mean the cover is delaminating from the base/foam? Can you glue it back on? Otherwise I would suggest first a warranty claim and if that is not successful then a different brand/model of saddle.
Old 11-02-22, 10:42 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 695 Times in 434 Posts
Agree with the above. Sounds like a company as popular would want to make things right for you. And if there is a problem, they would want to fix it.
Old 11-02-22, 11:17 AM
George

I've been riding a different saddle so the miles aren't that much. I just got a email saying it's out of warrantee.. I was ready to order another one, but I don't think so now. I can see that happening with one, but two.
Old 11-02-22, 11:37 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1084 Post(s)
Liked 854 Times in 483 Posts
I’ve never had that particular model but I can tell you that it shouldn’t happen, basically ever.

Ive never worn out a saddle. I’ve bent them and shredded them in a wreck. I’ve pulled ruined ones off a bike that had been in the elements for years. I’ve certainly replaced them when I felt they were uncomfortable.

The worst I’ve done is worn through the leather on the sides after years. It was minor and didn’t affect riding.

More often than not, once I find a saddle I like, it follows me through several bikes, before I eventually ruin it.
Old 11-02-22, 11:47 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 695 Times in 434 Posts
I've been riding a different saddle so the miles aren't that much. I just got a email saying it's out of warrantee.. I was ready to order another one, but I don't think so now. I can see that happening with one, but two.
Was the e-mail from the seller or from the mfr? If from the seller, I'd be contacting the mfr. directly. If the mfr., I agree that I'd be avoiding their products in the future.
Old 11-02-22, 01:52 PM
George

Seller and mfr. The home office said they would get back to me.
meanwhile I’m thinking about ordering another specialized saddle.
Old 11-02-22, 07:56 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3129 Post(s)
Liked 1,696 Times in 1,026 Posts
Likes For chaadster:
Old 11-03-22, 05:00 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts

It is weird. I've worn saddles out, but it takes literally 10s of thousands of miles and pretty crappy saddles, or a mishap where the fabric gets nicked. I guess I'd look at if there's anything unusual about what I'm wearing on my butt or if there's something about how I'm storing the bike that could cause damage that gets worse. For example, a nail in the wall that nicks the seat.

Does your other saddle show signs of unusual wear?
Old 11-03-22, 07:54 AM
George

Originally Posted by KerryIrons
That is ridiculously low mileage for a saddle unless there are some kind of unusual circumstances. When you say the top is coming off I assume you mean the cover is delaminating from the base/foam? Can you glue it back on? Otherwise I would suggest first a warranty claim and if that is not successful then a different brand/model of saddle.
Thanks for the reply Kerry, I think I’ll just fix it myself.