Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Alt Bike Culture
Reload this Page >

replace disk brake system with a v brake system?

Search
Notices
Alt Bike Culture Chopped, dropped, stretched, lifted, and otherwise cut up and put back together. The art and science of choppers, cruisers, lowriders and the vast world of mutant bicycles.

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-23, 10:38 PM
brothor

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

from what I can see it seems it would be pretty easy to swap out a disk brake system for a V brake system as long as you had a mount for the calipers on your fork.
can anyone confirm this or shed some insight into the difficulties of doing so?

only reason I'd be doing this is for a hub-motor front wheel that isnt disk brake compatible. I'm looking for a new bike to install it on and so far the best contenders are disk brake only.
Old 06-30-23, 09:26 AM
Eusam
Whippersnapper

Bikes: 1987? Diamondback Ascent, 1987? Stout, 2023 Bike Friday, 2012 Surly Ogre

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 13 Posts
It should not be too bad. If your current disc brake has a cable actuated long pull caliper, you can just shorten the cable and hook it up to your v-brakes. If it is a short pull brake, you will either need to use mini-v brakes (which don't work with large tires), get a new front brake lever, or use a Problem Solvers travel agent. If it is hydraulic, you will need a new brake lever and cable. But even then, it should be a pretty simple swap.

If you have cable actuated disc brakes and aren't sure if they are short or long pull, Park Tools has some information on how to check if you have a short or long pull brake lever. I haven't made enough posts to be able to add links, but it is their article about travel agent installation.