Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Lewis and Clark trail

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Lewis and Clark trail

Old 04-07-20, 07:26 AM
pdxsforider

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Lewis and Clark trail

I am a Lewis and Clark buff, so have been mulling the idea of riding the Lewis and Clark trail. The longest bike tour I have done is 800 miles so this would be a significantly larger undertaking. Yes I know it is not really a trail but generally follows their route form St Louis to Astoria. Anyway curious if anyone has done the route, and comments on it.

Thanks
Old 04-07-20, 08:02 AM
Tandem Tom

Bikes: 1992 Serotta Colorado II,Co-Motion Speedster, Giant Escape Hybrid, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 85 Posts
My wife and I used it as part of our cross country tour in 2014. I thought it was fantastic!!
​​​​​​I wouldn't mind doing it again!!
​​​​
Likes For Tandem Tom:
Old 04-07-20, 09:25 AM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
I rode along the Katy Trail in Missouri. There is an occasional sign about their journey. If you think bike touring is slow, try traveling upstream like Lewis and Clark did.
Likes For alan s:
Old 04-07-20, 03:21 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
I take it you mean Astoria, Oregon? I don’t know as much as I’d like to about Oregon, but like what I do know about it. 👍 Except for the crazy people around Portland. 🙃🤪🙄

I rode through Multnomah Valley before, and there are lots of farms there, but still an “unsettled” kind of vibe. You kinda feel like you’re time-traveling. And that’s not even counting the Columbia River area. 🤔😉
Old 04-07-20, 03:30 PM
mwat

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Very ambitious; sound like quite an adventure.
Likes For mwat:
Old 04-07-20, 03:44 PM
DeadGrandpa

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked 307 Times in 198 Posts
I love the idea of riding that trail (or route). My longest tours have been 500 miles--ish. I heard about a desert out in eastern Oregon. I don't know if it is close to the route you have in mind, but I think the bicycling must be great out there. Now, if I can just figure out how to trick my fiancee into wanting to go, too.
Likes For DeadGrandpa:
Old 04-07-20, 04:00 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18318 Post(s)
Liked 15,263 Times in 7,221 Posts
I recommend the option that goes through Twin Bridges, Dillon, etc., in Montana. More climbing, but worth the effort. The view from Big Hole Pass is terrific. And Beaverhead Rock on the way to Dillon is neat.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 04-07-20, 05:33 PM
debade

Bikes: Trek Domane, Trek 2120, Trek 520, Schwinn Voyager step through

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 77 Posts
I have done many self contained tours. We had planned to ride the L&C (several years ago in weekly segments. We rode for about 2 weeks or so from St Louis to the more eastern part of S. Dakota. It was perhaps the most boring tour we have done. I am told the that as you go west, it gets much better. We just decided not to continue and picked other routes for subsequent years.

Based on my experience, I would create a trip that starts in Astoria, a great city where I have cycled more than once, and end the tour before completing the entire L&C. I do not know how far east you should go but I am sure you can determine that from journals or feedback.
Old 04-08-20, 06:58 AM
indyfabz

Big Hole Valley and Big Hole Pass.

Old 04-08-20, 08:13 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Quoted: 6147 Post(s)
Liked 4,092 Times in 2,325 Posts
Originally Posted by pdxsforider
I am a Lewis and Clark buff, so have been mulling the idea of riding the Lewis and Clark trail. The longest bike tour I have done is 800 miles so this would be a significantly larger undertaking. Yes I know it is not really a trail but generally follows their route form St Louis to Astoria. Anyway curious if anyone has done the route, and comments on it.

Thanks
I’ve done the eastern third and the western third...see my signature line: “Solo Without Pie” and “Picking the Scablands”. I just haven’t gotten around to the middle. Both were very good tours.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 04-08-20, 02:29 PM
hilltowner

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
I'm assuming you'll be using ACA's route for this trip. I have not done this particular one but did do the Northern Tier in two sections in '16 & '17 through MN, ND, MT, ID, & WA. I highly commend their diligence in mapping their routes. They give you just about all the info you need to know to have a successful journey.

Last edited by hilltowner; 04-08-20 at 06:55 PM.
Likes For hilltowner:
Old 04-08-20, 04:07 PM
indyfabz

Also, the Gibbons Pass Alternative is a challenge but worth it. It's all off road. Dr. Jeckyll and Mr. Hyde of passes. The stretch from MT 43 to the pass has a good, hard, dirt surface, and except for the last mile or so is not steep. The west slope is steep, narrow and bumpy in a lot of places. I climbed west to east in 2014. Some beautiful views. Looking back down hill:

Likes For indyfabz: