Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Dark or Bright Colors?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!
View Poll Results: What’s your color preference and why?
Fluorescent yellow/green only
14.85%
Black and grays
16.83%
Orange, Red, Greens, bright colors
62.38%
None of your bees wax
5.94%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Dark or Bright Colors?

Old 10-16-20, 12:30 PM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
What an odd poll. I wanted to answer “dark or muted colors like navy, maroon etc” and that’s not an option. I’m not a huge fan of all black and even less of a fan of gray.
Old 10-16-20, 03:50 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,910 Times in 1,884 Posts
I've been seeing a lot of x-mas trees running around.... Turns out that those are just joggers with multi colored led's plastered on there "vest" area.
Old 10-17-20, 04:16 AM
dragoonO1

Bikes: My bicycles have two wheels.

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
I wear darker color street clothes when I ride, and I never worry about the color of my clothes for visibility. I don't own any jerseys.

My bicycles are very brightly colored because they're covered in reflective and/or photoluminescent tape. My helmet has SOLAS striping and front & rear lights. My bicycles have redundant headlights and taillights.

Last edited by dragoonO1; 10-17-20 at 12:34 PM.
Old 10-17-20, 05:37 AM
texaspandj

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 379 Posts
When I was in my 20s I would wear running singlets and I didn't think nothing of visibility. But now in my 50s I make sure to wear mostly red, one yellow, one orange active wear shirts with black cycling shorts and a blinking light on my post. Unfortunately I haven't gotten any wiser or smarter and here's the story to prove it. (I'm glad this isn't a A&S thread).
I live in Texas and it wasn't that hot one summer day and decided I'd wear a black active wear shirt and Not be cool but look it. After I made the turn around it got really hot and started to question the black shirt decision. Anyways, there was a tree on the opposite side of the country road (against traffic) and I headed to the shade it was throwing on the road to make a bike adjustment. I should've got in the grass but I didn't want to risk a flat plus there's not a lot of traffic where I ride. But here came a pickup truck heading right towards me. I figured it was someone trying to scare me BUT it kept coming towards me like he didn't see me, but instead of getting in the grass I decided I'd stand my ground and started waving my hands to alert him. Finally right before I was gonna jump into the grass he veered away from me. (Hold on guys I get dumber) as he went by I Spit On His Pickup Truck. Now, his brake lights come on he shoves his pick-up in reverse and starts heading right towards me. (Hold on guys I get even dumber). I decide in my rage from almost purposely getting run over that I wasn't moving and he was gonna have to really run me over. But like before, he veered at the last second...then stops right beside me. Then he starts yelling at me about spitting on his pick up and I yell back because he tried to run me over and he yells " I didn't see you and why would I intentionally run you over". I YELL back cause some people don't like cyclist. He was kinda taken back and told me I shouldn't wear black cause he couldn't see me in the shade. Then he burned rubber.
There are a few takeaway lessons here. Number One, Don't spit on pickup trucks in Texas. 2. Wait a few years before you tell this story and tell it here first. 3. What a dumb sss I was and hopefully won't put myself in that situation again...but if I know me.
Ok feel Free to add your What An Idiot comments directed towards me, I deserve it and This Is cycling discussion thread.
Finally now I can tell this story to others.
BTW, I haven't worn a black shirt on the Road since that incident s few years ago. And FWIW, i read a little article in cycling magazine years ago that the color that alert drivers the most Was Not orange, yellow or red but was....Pink. Who knew? Well I did, but I still wore black that day.
​​​​​​
Old 10-17-20, 06:37 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2429 Post(s)
Liked 2,889 Times in 1,646 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
I live in a heavily Republican area, and I have noticed that drivers give me wider berth when I am wearing my tri-color red/white/blue jersey. Apparently, they don't realize that it is a French National Team replica jersey.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 10-17-20, 08:55 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
I have all different colors, including black. Which color is more visible depends on exigent conditions so it doesn't really matter as much as we tend to believe.
Old 10-17-20, 09:02 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts
Bright colors, the reason lawyers!!!!!!!!!!! If a car hits you, the drivers lawyer will try to find any way he can to make you partly at fault. Bright colors are part of the big three to keep lawyers at bay. Wear bright colors, wear a helmet, and have a flag on your bike, especially if on a trike like I ride. You could even at a forth thing have lights. If you dont do at least some of those things, the drivers lawyer will claim you are partly at fault. Wear bright colors to protect yourself.
Likes For rydabent:
Old 10-17-20, 09:17 AM
But its me 

Bikes: A few older US made Cannondales, a modern Soma Saga (no longer made, alas!), and one gifted crabon Specialized. Never enough.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 39 Posts
No preference, given I purchase the cheapest jerseys I can find.
Likes For But its me:
Old 10-18-20, 12:56 AM
hsuBM
jj

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 78 Posts
In general, I like the color yellow. French’s mustard yellow. My favorite t shirts and jackets are yellow. There’s this racing thing, though, where there’s a meaning behind wearing a yellow jersey and maybe that is why I can’t find yellow jerseys?

Surly made an amazing funky slightly-orange yellow wool jacket that was amazingly amazing. Like an idiot I only bought one. I should’ve bought fifteen or twenty. I currently have a dark blue one and like it a lot. I’m going to have to buy at least five of the white ones.

I tend to favor red bikes, but have a yellow one, too. I recently picked up a new frameset that’s black, purple, and white which will likely be covered in salt & sand for a third of the year.

That said, as a driver with acute adhd, especially after work when my pill has worn off, I can relate probably too well with drunk/stoned drivers. These are my findings, regardless of light from the sky or lack thereof:

-Cyclists without lights dressed in dark colors (whether DUI or S-Works Venge riders) effervesce into the road approximately 0.25 seconds before I pass them
-Cyclists without lights wearing non-dark, non-dayglo clothes (bmxers in 80s-o-riffic striped t’s & polos or aspiring writers in khakis and sweaters) appear about 0.5 seconds before I pass them
-Cyclists without lights dressed in dayglo appear about a second before I pass them
-Cyclists with blinky lights and non-dayglo clothing appear about a half football field away momentarily (not a pun, but enjoy it as such if you like) but then get written off as a reflection/glare and disappear until reappearing 0.25 seconds before I pass them.
-blinky + dayglo appears, disappears, then still only reappear about a second before I pass them.
-cyclists with blind-yo-mama bright steady lights command constant attention from at least a football field away, regardless of clothing.

Judging lights’ brightness in a store or your driveway makes as much sense as doing the same with tires and their rolling resistance and/or durability.
Old 10-18-20, 09:40 AM
royphotog

Bikes: 1979 Centurion Omega, 95(?) Rocky Mountain Sherpa

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Wanderer
Get ready, Phil, as the cold is coming your way! It's here, now!
I will try to remember that today when it hits 91 this afternoon here in the central valley of California.
Old 10-18-20, 09:43 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 1,236 Times in 617 Posts
Please Go Bright.

Likes For 10 Wheels:
Old 10-18-20, 09:47 AM
royphotog

Bikes: 1979 Centurion Omega, 95(?) Rocky Mountain Sherpa

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 28 Posts
Originally Posted by hsuBM
In general, I like the color yellow. French’s mustard yellow. My favorite t shirts and jackets are yellow. There’s this racing thing, though, where there’s a meaning behind wearing a yellow jersey and maybe that is why I can’t find yellow jerseys?

Surly made an amazing funky slightly-orange yellow wool jacket that was amazingly amazing. Like an idiot I only bought one. I should’ve bought fifteen or twenty. I currently have a dark blue one and like it a lot. I’m going to have to buy at least five of the white ones.

I tend to favor red bikes, but have a yellow one, too. I recently picked up a new frameset that’s black, purple, and white which will likely be covered in salt & sand for a third of the year.

That said, as a driver with acute adhd, especially after work when my pill has worn off, I can relate probably too well with drunk/stoned drivers. These are my findings, regardless of light from the sky or lack thereof:

-Cyclists without lights dressed in dark colors (whether DUI or S-Works Venge riders) effervesce into the road approximately 0.25 seconds before I pass them
-Cyclists without lights wearing non-dark, non-dayglo clothes (bmxers in 80s-o-riffic striped t’s & polos or aspiring writers in khakis and sweaters) appear about 0.5 seconds before I pass them
-Cyclists without lights dressed in dayglo appear about a second before I pass them
-Cyclists with blinky lights and non-dayglo clothing appear about a half football field away momentarily (not a pun, but enjoy it as such if you like) but then get written off as a reflection/glare and disappear until reappearing 0.25 seconds before I pass them.
-blinky + dayglo appears, disappears, then still only reappear about a second before I pass them.
-cyclists with blind-yo-mama bright steady lights command constant attention from at least a football field away, regardless of clothing.

Judging lights’ brightness in a store or your driveway makes as much sense as doing the same with tires and their rolling resistance and/or durability.
Thanks for this unique perspective on visibility. I suspect that it does not differ much from the distracted driver, which these days are most of them.
Likes For royphotog:
Old 10-18-20, 09:48 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked 558 Times in 423 Posts
For the basic clothing, I tend to prefer darker colors (black, gray, "earth" tones).

For the outer safety stuff, it's a high-vis vest and/or jacket ... in the typical DayGlo/Safety Yellow or Green. Plus appropriate reflection and lighting, all around.

Indeed: better to be seen, than not. Last thing I want to do is to blend in visually.
Old 10-19-20, 11:48 AM
BEC111

Bikes: Specialized Turbo Vado SL

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 15 Posts
I try and wear bright colors, but as it’s gotten cooler, I have more dark colors. Most important is being visible. The trail I usually ride is very sharped and in the early morning or late afternoon riders backlit by the sun become invisible if darkly clothed and barely visible even with bright clothing. This is where lights, front and rear, make the biggest difference.
Old 10-19-20, 12:00 PM
CasatiCosmo

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Anything bright and billboardy for me. Something that will hopefully catch the eyes of the full-time texters that are behind the wheel.
Old 10-19-20, 12:07 PM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
Please Go Bright.
White is my favorite color for being seen in situations like this, which is almost every ride. It's common easy to find color of clothing, doesn't clash too much with any other color, highly visible, cool, simple, does its job well. What's not to like? It gets dirty easily, but other than that, perfect.

It doesn't hurt either to have a nice brisk cadence either, for absolute maximum visibility. Every little thing you can do will help.
Old 10-19-20, 12:07 PM
Shadowpath

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Bright colors for visibility for the last 30 years. And it has benefited me and others quite a few times.
Likes For Shadowpath:
Old 10-19-20, 12:17 PM
CasatiCosmo

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
I know when I'm leaving the house to ride and my wife and kids say, "Oh please...you're actually leaving the house in that jersey...that's embarrassing!!!", I've made the right choice.
Old 10-19-20, 12:29 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 454 Posts
I like primary colors - yellow, red, and blue. They tend to stand out more against the road and the greenery along the road. Dark green/black, not so much. I've started riding with a rear blinkie, too; to keep me more visible when I ride into deep shade and any color is hard to see.
Old 10-19-20, 12:38 PM
dkatz1

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
I see lots of dark colored jerseys and the those that wear fluorescent yellow. Is it important to be seen or blend in?
All you need to do is go drive your car places where you and other cyclists ride. And you will see how, even in daylight, let alone at night, that bright colors like yellow show up vastly better. To have a black cyciing jacket or jersey to me seems flat out foolish. You will not be as visible. Period.
And there SO many distracted, thoughtless idiots driving cars.
Same is true of helmets....you need one that's bright, yellow, white, orange, etc...
Maybe it's just me: but I want to be seen.
Old 10-19-20, 12:40 PM
dkatz1

Originally Posted by Branko D
Prefer white and black combination because it looks great and white jersey / helmet / etc might help with heat dissipation. It feels like it does and like I cook less in the sun than with darker colours.

I run lights for visibility, frankly never felt visibility was an issue except for the people cycling without lights at night, and there are reflective bits on shoes and jerseys and the like as well.
​​​​​​
You show up way better in the day wearing bright colors, never mind about night. Just drive around country roads where there are cyclists, and you will see.
Old 10-19-20, 12:43 PM
dkatz1

Originally Posted by rsbob
I see lots of dark colored jerseys and the those that wear fluorescent yellow. Is it important to be seen or blend in?
https://www.bicycling.com/bikes-gear...-safer-riding/

It all seems obvious to me. It's foolish to wear black (or dark green, etc) when cycling. I
Old 10-19-20, 12:47 PM
dkatz1

Originally Posted by Koyote
Stick a couple bright lights on your bike and it doesn't matter what color clothes you are wearing.
Not true.
Lights don't show up well in daylight, but bright yellow clothing does.
Old 10-19-20, 12:50 PM
dkatz1

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
I don't own hi-viz yellow clothing. Its tacky as hell and I dont find it helpful on cyclists when I am driving.

All the jerseys I buy are simple looking and mostly solid colors. Rapha and Voler being recent ones. The Rapha is olive green and the Voler is a houndstooth pattern blue.
I simply dont think a driver will see me or not see me based on a jersey color during day rides as I am not a small object.

I do have an orange Garneau vest that is thin and I really like for the shoulder seasons. Its not tacky in color but is noticable, so maybe having that will keep the hi-viz crazies from attacking.

Recently changed from a gray helmet to a white one. I guess thats possibly more visible?

A simple blinky light will make me more noticable from a few blocks away than any awful HiC yellow colored jersey.
My observerations tell me the opposite. Yellow is way more visible. I've made it a point to drive roads i cycle on (for other reasons, actually) and in doing so, discovered how much more visible yellow is.
Old 10-19-20, 01:00 PM
olddcarnutjag

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Name blood type nka

I have ridden unconscious in a an ambulance, I hit a goat, at 04:30.
the goat didn’t care about my lights, I was wearing a yellow vest with my name, phone #, blood type, and NKA.
NKA is Mil speak for no known allergies. I bought stickers for my helmet, and a runners bracelet, in case I meet the goat again.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.