Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Paint remover of choice?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Paint remover of choice?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-20, 02:27 PM
Doug Fattic 
framebuilder

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 615 Post(s)
Liked 1,914 Times in 655 Posts
As a pro painter I have a marvelous pressure pot sandblaster that recycles the media after separating out the dust. A pressure pot sandblaster is better than the more common (and cheaper) pressure type that has to use more air pressure to work efficiently. The pressure pot type puts out more volume of media at half the pressure. I only use it after chemically getting off most of the paint. I wouldn't want to use it to entirely strip a frame of good paint (like a urethane enamel) if it had light tubing. I like to use my pressure washer to remove the chemical stripper before sandblasting whatever is left.

There was a discussion on the Classic Rendezvous list recently about what media should be used in sandblasting a frame. I didn't participate except to say I've learned what methods are aggressive enough to do the job but not so much as to harm the frame. I certainly wouldn't appreciate somebody telling me what I should be doing/using when they don't have any experience themselves. That discussion ended with many realizing there are different approaches to taking off paint and each painter has learned what works for them.

In Niles where I live there is a furniture restoration business that has a big dip tank that I sometimes use in the winter when I don't want to be outside chemically stripping. They dunk the frame in a big tank and leave it overnight. I've paid somewhere between $20 and $40 for this service. I think they make up the price each time I go. You guys might look to see if that kind of business is in your area. When you consider the cost and mess of doing it yourselves, the price is reasonable.
Likes For Doug Fattic:
Old 11-02-20, 02:34 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Some interesting ideas...

I've stripped quite a few frames with Circa 1850 furniture stripper. Coat sections, let it bubble, use a scraper. Usually I have to wire wheel afterward.

Recently I discovered a local U Blast sandblasting shop where I can do my own stuff with various medias. Can be a bit pricey if you don't pre strip because the original paint is often quite hard, but with a rough pre strip it goes fast and pretty.

I've not seen aircraft stripper in stores up here in Canada.
Old 11-02-20, 02:40 PM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 113 Posts
Originally Posted by Lemond1985
... and one of those drill powered wire brushes. It's a messy job, I have found that if you get a good strong batch of regular aircraft stripper, and optimal conditions, that's the fastest time-wise. That citrus stuff can take days and many repeated applications, just making a nasty job even worse.
Originally Posted by BFisher
I'm with gugie. Blasting is the way to go.
Doesn't anybody worry about possibly taking off too much frame material? Some of our frames are significantly less than a mm thick in places, and when you read about the various Columbus tubesets and the differences that .1 mm makes... From my limited experience in metal work (which included some sandblasting), amounts that small could easily be removed by a mistake or some overzealous removal.
Old 11-02-20, 03:47 PM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,898 Times in 889 Posts
Originally Posted by robertorolfo
Doesn't anybody worry about possibly taking off too much frame material? Some of our frames are significantly less than a mm thick in places, and when you read about the various Columbus tubesets and the differences that .1 mm makes... From my limited experience in metal work (which included some sandblasting), amounts that small could easily be removed by a mistake or some overzealous removal.
Sand will remove material. But there are other media that are much less aggressive. I doubt any serious finisher uses actual sand. Sand is used for lettering on granite monuments and tombstones, stuff like that.
Likes For BFisher:
Old 11-02-20, 04:18 PM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Originally Posted by BFisher
Sand will remove material. But there are other media that are much less aggressive. I doubt any serious finisher uses actual sand. Sand is used for lettering on granite monuments and tombstones, stuff like that.
Good to know and thanks for the info. As mentioned, my experience was limited (sand blasting in a dental lab where you could easily put a hole in a casting/crown if you weren't careful).
Old 11-02-20, 04:25 PM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,898 Times in 889 Posts
Good to know and thanks for the info. As mentioned, my experience was limited (sand blasting in a dental lab where you could easily put a hole in a casting/crown if you weren't careful).
Glad to share.
Likes For BFisher:
Old 11-03-20, 06:23 AM
Wileyone 

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 606 Times in 403 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet
I've not seen aircraft stripper in stores up here in Canada.
Try Carquest or NAPPA.
Likes For Wileyone:
Old 11-03-20, 06:28 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked 2,214 Times in 1,103 Posts
Did I read an echo!?
Old 11-03-20, 07:40 AM
Doug Fattic 
framebuilder

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 615 Post(s)
Liked 1,914 Times in 655 Posts
That is what I was saying in my post #26 . The reason I chemically strip a frame before sandblasting is to reduce the amount of sandblasting that can potentially damage a frame. I've been painting bicycle frames professionally for 45 years and have learned what effect sandblasting can have. Both the type of media and sandblaster (and the pressure setting on the sandblaster) has to be effective enough to remove paint but not so aggressive as to take off too much. Paint tends to collect in corners (like lug shorelines or braze-on bits) so if one keeps blasting until every bit of paint is gone, then it is possible to remove too much metal in surrounding areas.
Likes For Doug Fattic:
Old 11-03-20, 12:46 PM
robertorolfo

Just a follow up for everyone: is there any way to strip paint that is on top of chrome without compromising the finish of the chrome? I assume the chrome has to be re-polished at least...
Old 11-03-20, 04:43 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3804 Post(s)
Liked 6,642 Times in 2,602 Posts
I have found that when you strip paint off of chrome (which I just did), what’s underneath is not highly polished and better left painted. And that chrome is really hard and won’t be affected by paint remover.
Old 11-03-20, 05:26 PM
leftthread

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 213 Times in 105 Posts
Back in the day I worked at a foundry that cast sculpture- your basic life-size bronze stuff. We used glass shot in the blaster to clean the bronze before assembly and fine metal finishing.