Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Switch brake lever hands

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Switch brake lever hands

Old 05-28-21, 02:00 PM
zabicdrozda

Bikes: All-City Space Horse

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Switch brake lever hands

Hello!

I recently came into possession of an older Benotto and realized that the hand that controls each brake is the reverse of my other (more frequently used) bike. So I'm looking to swap the hands/brakes on the Benotto. I'll attach a probably not very useful photo of the bike below (I'm away from the bike now but can take more photos and get more info about components later if need be).

I'm basically wondering what the process would be to do this. Would I need new cables or could I just use existing cables and swap the brake levers the cable connects to? Will cables need to be cut and re-capped? The cable comes out of the top of the brake hoods.

Sorry if this is sounding convoluted. I'm very willing to answer any follow up questions and provide more information as needed.

Thank you!

Old 05-28-21, 02:13 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3634 Post(s)
Liked 5,310 Times in 2,698 Posts
Yes, you can easily swap the cables between the levers. You can use your same inner cables if they aren't frayed. The end caps will have to be removed/replaced. You could probably trim some off the front housing, seems excessive.
Old 05-28-21, 02:20 PM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
I’ve had (at least) one pair of drop bar brake levers where the lever end of the cable could be unhooked from the lever. If yours are like that, it’s easy. Undo cable at the brake to to create some slack, Pull the levers all the way in and have a peek inside. Unhook cable. Pull out upwards incl outer cable. Swap over and reinstall.

If your cables have to be threaded through Their attachment point in the levers, I’d suggest getting new (inner) cables while you’re at it.
It’s easier getting new cables through the outer cables than dealing with the kinked and Possibly frayed end of the old cable.
If you’re feeling frugal, reuse the rear cable as the front. Makes it real easy to trim away the frayed end. Then install new cable at the rear.
Likes For dabac:
Old 05-28-21, 02:20 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4171 Post(s)
Liked 3,789 Times in 2,269 Posts
Sometimes the cable/brake hook up allows one to get a lot of cable slack (as in center pulls or canties or with segmented rear cable casing) but other times loosening the cable at the caliper anchor bolt makes things so much easier to deal with. Sometimes that loosening comes with "discoveries" about cable or caliper condition Having a rear cable/casing on hand can get the job dome quickly, in case the cable is wanting replacement. I often transfer the old rear cable to the front then too.

BTW I found when I was in high school that my dominate hand was better at modulating the front brake so that's how I've set up all my bikes since. Andy
Old 05-28-21, 02:40 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 642 Times in 363 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
You can use your same inner cables if they aren't frayed.
Good luck with that.
Old 05-28-21, 05:13 PM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
Good luck with that.
I can't say that I've had much problem. No luck necessary, just a bit of care in handling.

To the OP: Consider trying the "reversed" setup. If, after a few rides to test the system, you can then decide to keep or convert. I now set up all my bikes with the right lever controlling the front brake. A number of years ago, some trauma affected the strength of my left hand so it made sense to use my strong hand for the most effective brake. I was worried about it at first, but found that hard braking was more reliable (and safe). Got all my strength back in my left, but would not think about reverting. Of course, if your left is your dominant hand, opt for Left-Front.

Last edited by Moe Zhoost; 05-29-21 at 05:48 AM.
Likes For Moe Zhoost:
Old 05-28-21, 10:22 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Interesting crash report:

https://www.saferproducts.gov/Public...portId=3129879
Old 05-28-21, 10:55 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 4,487 Times in 3,337 Posts
Originally Posted by Gresp15C
I've had something similar happen to me.

I was pushing it up hard climbing a rolling hill to a stop light when I got a light change. I hit my brakes and the bike went flying.

It was a combination of issues including forward heavy from the hill climb, and a sudden hard stop. But in post analysis I also discovered that I had reversed the brakes, so most of my bikes had Right-Rear, but that particular bike had Left-Rear. And, of course, my own fault.

So, at the next opportunity I swapped the brakes around, and started paying a bit more attention.

I can't say for sure if that was the cause. I usually modulate my speed with the rear brake, but at times will also grab it hard, with more finesse with the front.
Old 05-28-21, 11:31 PM
Rick

Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 260 Posts
It really depends on your ability to keep your balance while braking. I road motorcycles when I was younger and have always wired the front brake to the right side. The bicycle is a simple machine and being aware of how its equipment works should be the owners priority. It is unfortunate that bicycle shops will normally wire every front brake to the left side instead of asking the customer how they want it done. I guess some clown thinks ebikes should have there front brakes wired to the right side like a motorcycle. They should point this out to the customer at the time of sale.
Old 05-29-21, 02:25 AM
cjenrick

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 100 Posts
i received a bike with reverse levers, must have been a "lefty" who owned it. tried to get used to it but 50 years of muscle memory made that difficult, so i went thru the hassle of reversing and was it wonderful to have the old modulation practices restored.
increased bike handling confidence.
Old 05-29-21, 05:33 AM
ARider2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
It is the rare occasion in the USA that I see a bicycle with the right brake lever set up to control the front brake. The exceptions are bicycles made for the UK market that end up in the US, or a bike that has had the controls swapped for a rider that prefers it that way. The UK bikes right brake lever are set up to control the front brake. I always think of as similar to the UK cars that have the steering wheel in the right versus US cars that have the steering wheel on the left.
Old 05-29-21, 06:18 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1601 Post(s)
Liked 2,187 Times in 1,092 Posts
Old point of discussion. There is no right or wrong on this topic. I have the same experience, with at least as much time as @cjenrick, but with the right hand controlling the front brake. I too road motorcycles for a number of years but I believe in my youth the right/front was always the norm.

If you look at side pulls from the early years, they often had the cable on the left side. The big change for me was Campagnolo side pulls, Did they use the same caliper front and back? In the 60s and early 70s most of the top end bikes had center pulls so it didn't really matter.
Old 05-29-21, 08:11 AM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 978 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 395 Posts
All my bikes have the "right/front" brake arrangement. I was able to specify this for my Airborne when I ordered it, and I changed all the others myself. I've never had a problem, and (like others) it resonates with my extensive motorcycle experience. Also, though it hasn't happened, it might give a thief a moment's remorse.
Old 05-29-21, 01:43 PM
Rick

Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 260 Posts
All my bikes have the "right/front" brake arrangement. I was able to specify this for my Airborne when I ordered it, and I changed all the others myself. I've never had a problem, and (like others) it resonates with my extensive motorcycle experience. Also, though it hasn't happened, it might give a thief a moment's remorse.
Wow somebody actually setup your brakes how you requested them. I purchased a custom bicycle and the shop setup the front on the left side, not per my request. I asked the mechanic if he did it by mistake. He stated that he had to do it that way because it is the law. I have never returned to that shop. I don't agree with stupid.