Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

What have you been wrenching on lately?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

What have you been wrenching on lately?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-21, 03:50 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
Fixed my old Vetta floor pump, again. Found this thing in an urban alley years ago and it has served well with its Presta/Shrader head and thumblock. The hose finally began to crack and leak a while ago so I cut it and used a barbed fitting to rejoin the sections but the hose lately began splitting at those fittings so I bought new hose at Ace and hooked it up. Works fine again.

Old 07-22-21, 11:24 PM
sdn40

Bikes: 88 Cannondale Criterium

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 91 Posts
Ad picture. Was hoping for one broken cable guide and the need for some red touch up. Showed up to find extensive paint bubbling on seat tube all around front deraiilleur mount. More bubbling on top tube near cable guides and other random spots. I still gladly gave him his $100 and will tear this one down for a powder coat.

Old 07-23-21, 09:47 AM
capnjonny 

Bikes: Miyata 610(66cm), GT Vantara Hybrid (64cm), Nishiki International (64cm), Peugeot rat rod (62 cm), Trek 800 Burning Man helicopter bike, Bob Jackson frame (to be restored?) plus a never ending stream of neglected waifs from the Bike exchange.

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 229 Posts
This Ital Vega mixte was once just an ugly taxi cab yellow frame with black stripes on the downtube sitting in the back room of the shop, its head badge taken to complete another Ital Vega restoration. After sitting on the side of my house for a couple years, I decided to put it back together. Mixte’s are such great frames I thought it deserved a second chance. To keep things simple, I thought to use 26inch wheels and a coater brake. No gears, no brake levers or cables, just a simple cruiser. Not wanting to go through the work of completely stripping the paint I chose instead to sand the frame with 400 grit sandpaper, treat any rust spots, spot prime, and then top coat with Rustoleum High Performance enamel in Safety Yellow. The ugly black stripes on the down tube were repainted white and the black stripes were cut from bar rap finishing tape. For a head badge I used a Bike Exchange decal.

Everything went great till I tried fitting the wheels and realized that the rear coaster brake wheel was actually a fractional instead of decimal size. Regular mountain bike tires wouldn’t fit. So, I went with plan B and there you have it, another in my Hipster series and a real stunner that any techie worth their calculator would love to be seen riding around downtown Mountain View on.

Likes For capnjonny:
Old 07-24-21, 09:50 AM
Flatforkcrown

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 419 Times in 159 Posts
I had been wanting to try out ergo levers on my de Rosa, but also wanted to keep my wheel set, which is 126 spaced and freewheel. Yesterday I was looking around the back room of the co-op, and saw a bike with a Sachs ergo group. Now, I can index my 7speed freewheel and they look and feel like the aero campy levers I had. The 5000 rear derailer is kind of ugly, so I have an order in for a new success rear.

Old 07-24-21, 10:25 AM
VtwinVince

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 251 Times in 145 Posts
Celeste alert! Just finishing this Bianchi Sika, not sure of year but about 1990.
Likes For VtwinVince:
Old 07-24-21, 11:31 AM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 2,180 Times in 1,183 Posts
Originally Posted by Roger M
Not so much vintage bike wrenching, but working on a carrier solution for said vintage bicycle. In preparation for Cino, I needed to come up with a way to haul our tandem. In the past I put it on the roof of my wagon(using a Yakima tandem rack). For this trip we're driving Mrs. Ms SUV.

Even as tall as I am, I don't want to hoist it up that high. There's also a pretty good fuel mileage penalty with it on the roof(over 1,300 plus miles). I thought about putting it inside with wheels removed, but no room with kids, dog, gear, etc.

Anyhow, I decided to modify the Yakima tandem rack to mount on a hitch rack. With the wheels off, it barely protrudes beyond the width of the car. I am fairly pleased with the results.

You'll have to excuse a couple things. It's just mocked up now, and I need to get to the hardware store for some proper bolts, nuts, washers. Also,, the tandem is being worked on and is missing stoker vars at the moment.

Nice, How much overhang did you get on the drivers side?
Best, Ben

Voice recognition may sometimes create odd spelling and grammatical errors

Old 07-24-21, 02:46 PM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 686 Posts
Not so much vintage bike wrenching, but working on a carrier solution for said vintage bicycle. In preparation for Cino, I needed to come up with a way to haul our tandem. In the past I put it on the roof of my wagon(using a Yakima tandem rack). For this trip we're driving Mrs. Ms SUV.

Even as tall as I am, I don't want to hoist it up that high. There's also a pretty good fuel mileage penalty with it on the roof(over 1,300 plus miles). I thought about putting it inside with wheels removed, but no room with kids, dog, gear, etc.
How much overhang is there? Because that looks like a good 3+ feet of overhang and that can't be legal.
And the giant sign you will need otherwise probably won't help fuel efficiency either.
Old 07-24-21, 03:37 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Messed around with the Trek 850 between house chores today, pulling the crankarms and BB in order to dribble some stuff into the seat tube from below. I want to try breaking it loose even though rustystrings61 said he'd take it as is. Look at that rusty powder that came out!
Old 07-24-21, 08:25 PM
Dylansbob 
2k miles from the midwest

Bikes: ~'75 Colin Laing, '80s Schwinn SuperSport 650b, ex-Backroads ti project...

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 931 Times in 446 Posts
Trying to decide what I want to ride for next weeks ChillyHilly. The obvious choice is something modern, but I like being different. How about a french-fit, Cinelli Equipe with a 650bx35 conversion. It looks horrible, but I find it to be very comfortable. Still need some tweaking to the cockpit and the brakes re-run.

Old 07-25-21, 07:15 AM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 1,073 Times in 637 Posts
Originally Posted by thumpism
Messed around with the Trek 850 between house chores today, pulling the crankarms and BB in order to dribble some stuff into the seat tube from below. I want to try breaking it loose even though rustystrings61 said he'd take it as is. Look at that rusty powder that came out!
Thats giving me flashbacks to my GT!
Old 07-25-21, 05:41 PM
Roger M
Banned.

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 469 Post(s)
Liked 2,443 Times in 646 Posts
Originally Posted by xiaoman1
Nice, How much overhang did you get on the drivers side?
Best, Ben
Originally Posted by JaccoW
How much overhang is there? Because that looks like a good 3+ feet of overhang and that can't be legal.
And the giant sign you will need otherwise probably won't help fuel efficiency either.
There's a Negative Nellie in every group...

The tandem on the rack measures 83 inches from the loop on the rear derailleur cable, to the tip of the rack(in front of the fork). Volkswagen specs the width of this vehicle at 78.3 inches(not including the mirrors. They ad 10-12 inches, making total width 88.3-85.3").

The tandem is centered on the rack. There's <2.5" past the body on each side. The mirrors are quite a bit wider than that.

As a salute to jacco, I will probably fly a big banner back there. Not quite sure what it'll say though...

Old 07-25-21, 06:05 PM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 2,180 Times in 1,183 Posts

The tandem on the rack measures 83 inches from the loop on the rear derailleur cable, to the tip of the rack(in front of the fork). Volkswagen specs the width of this vehicle at 78.3 inches(not including the mirrors. They ad 10-12 inches, making total width 88.3-85.3").

The tandem is centered on the rack. There's <2.5" past the body on each side. The mirrors are quite a bit wider than that.

As a salute to jacco, I will probably fly a big banner back there. Not quite sure what it'll say though...
Not sure what you mean by NN, I was asking because I have access to a tandem and wanted the information in order to mod a rack etc.
The information you provided in your last link answered some of my questions.
NNN, Ben

Voice recognition may sometimes create odd spelling and grammatical errors

Old 07-25-21, 06:16 PM
Roger M
Banned.

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 469 Post(s)
Liked 2,443 Times in 646 Posts
Originally Posted by xiaoman1
Not sure what you mean by NN, I was asking because I have access to a tandem and wanted the information in order to mod a rack etc.
The information you provided in your last link answered some of my questions.
NNN, Ben
Sorry Ben

That was geared towards Jacco, as his comment about it being three feet wider than the car is a bit of a stretch...

I knew it was gonna be wide, and that's why I removed the rear wheel as well. It worked out good in my opinion. I will most probably wrap the rear derailleur in plastic and tape, as well as the saddles.
Likes For Roger M:
Old 07-25-21, 07:14 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4510 Post(s)
Liked 6,377 Times in 3,667 Posts
Sorry Ben

That was geared towards Jacco, as his comment about it being three feet wider than the car is a bit of a stretch...

I knew it was gonna be wide, and that's why I removed the rear wheel as well. It worked out good in my opinion. I will most probably wrap the rear derailleur in plastic and tape, as well as the saddles.
I wondered about that too, even realizing the perspective of your pic was very skewed, still didn't see 3 ft. but figured it would play out one way or another.

I think you did a great job of sorting this out.

Maybe the forks bent.
Likes For merziac:
Old 07-26-21, 12:43 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 686 Posts

Or you could assume I misinterpreted the picture due to the weird perspective. From that picture it looks to me like everything beyond the rear bottom bracket is extending from the vehicle. At the very least that's wider than the 20cm (~8") that is legal here in Europe. Mirrors excluded.
Instead you chose to be an ass about it.

Anyway, good luck with your project.

Last edited by JaccoW; 07-26-21 at 12:46 AM.
Old 07-26-21, 02:33 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Old 07-26-21, 02:34 PM
merziac

Old 07-26-21, 03:38 PM
leftthread

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 213 Times in 105 Posts
So I was overhauling a minty Voyageur recently with zero wear on the chain rings and freewheel.
A check of the chain with the Park CC 3.2 showed the chain needs to be replaced.
This is mystifying. But so is most everything else these days.
Old 07-26-21, 04:07 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Sorting through some handlebars for a touring setup. I usually like a 42cm bar and have several but wanted to try a Randonneur bend, difficult to find that wide. Well, I got an SR out of the co-op's dumpster and it's stamped 42 and measures it but the bar narrows quite a bit at the levers so the width I like is not where I'd be spending most of my time, on the levers. Comparing it to another foundie (like a freebie, only different) shows them very close in width at the ends but not in the middle. Photo angle shows more of a width difference at the ends than actually exists.

Looking at my Cresta GT, the project in mind, its Randonneur bar is also a 42 but a different configuration with much greater width at the levers than the SR bars have. Rats! I was hoping to yank this original bar/stem/levers combo and park it while I use something else on the bike but if the bar is the best of my bunch but I want a different stem and aero levers then I have to take it all apart. Nothing is ever simple.

*edited for more pix*

So here's the Cresta with its stock 42cm Randonneur bar with the setup I'm planning to use, a normal 42cm drop bar on a Technomic stem. This one is slightly wider at the levers but the stock ain't bad by comparison.

And here is the found SR 42cm Randonneur bar compared to stock; more rise and even narrower at the levers, which I feel somewhat negates its width. The flare does make the SR as wide as the stocker at the ends but I'm afraid it'll feel cramped riding on the levers.

Last edited by thumpism; 07-27-21 at 01:21 PM.
Old 07-27-21, 09:57 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
Kelly TakeOffs

Finished installing, and tweaking, a set of Kelly TakeOffs. Levers are 6401, which has a spring activated left shifter.

Used curved bosses and rotated them to get the levers a couple mm's closer to the bars.

John
Old 07-28-21, 05:47 AM
sloar 

Bikes: they change so much I'm tired of updating this

Mentioned: 168 Post(s)
Quoted: 1212 Post(s)
Liked 1,127 Times in 427 Posts
Just finished this Bob Jackson last night.

Old 07-28-21, 05:56 AM
daverup 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 867 Times in 416 Posts
New bike day for my wife. 2003 Terry Isis, in nice shape.
Very minimal wrenching needed.

Likes For daverup:
Old 07-29-21, 09:26 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1140 Post(s)
Liked 1,736 Times in 957 Posts
A PX10 get some cleansing and is put on a pair of track wheels for shop rolling. Cleaner calipers have replaced the original crusty critters. The hubs original to the purchase have been cut from the rusty spokes and 27" hoops.

Likes For Mr. 66:
Old 08-01-21, 05:02 AM
Prowler 

Bikes: 2 Trek Mtn, Cannondale R600 road, 6 vintage road bikes

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 1,028 Times in 404 Posts
^^^^^^ Well done. I'm quite pleased that FWs no longer intimidate me. They're easy and quite satisfying when you restore them. I've found that actual wear is from use is rare. It's grit, ancient dried grease and a bit of water that's the problem, easily resolved. If done carefully, they don't even "asplode". BTW, I like those caged bearing assemblies. Nice design.
Old 08-01-21, 04:20 PM
Devilmedic
Bumped my head.

Bikes: Trek Crossrip LTD, Specialized Rockhopper, Soul beach crusier, Trek 930

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 5 Posts
Working on a 930, but, Im too new to post pics yet. Cmon 10!
Likes For Devilmedic:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.