Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Gatorskin 700x25 Sidewall Bulge - Question?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 08-01-21, 10:15 AM
specialmonkey
Fillet-Brazed Member

Bikes:

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts

I just replaced some Gatorskin 700x25c tires due to a sidewall bulge.

During the tire installation process, I noticed the tube was 26c-35c and wondered could a tube that is too large be responsible for a sidewall bulge?

When putting on the new tires (I went with 25c Vittoria Corsa Graphene 2s this time - kind of a tight fit!), I noticed the tube (this time a 25c tube) in one spot bunches up - and I think this is normal when putting on tires / tubes - but I wondered, in the case where the tube might also be too big, could the area where the tube is bunched (during initial installation) have caused the Gatorskin sidewall bulge?

I assume once the tire is inflated, the bunched area will expand in a manner that fits the tire more proportionally, compared to being bunched up.
Old 08-01-21, 10:29 AM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
Not likely. Using a larger diameter tube will make it harder to install the tube in the tire and get it back on the rim. I have a 700C X 23 tire and when I buy tubes I look for ones that say 700C X 19-23 as they are a lot easier to install in the tire.

The two likeliest causes for a sidewall bulge are running the tire with too little pressure and less so, a manufacturer's defect. Do you ever get pinch flats? That's a pretty good sign you aren't keeping the pressure high enough. Pinch flats are especially possible with narrow tires.

The tube should fit evenly around the inside of the tire. Try putting a small amount of air in the tube so it is no longer flat. If you do get a bunched up section of the tube and manage to inflate the tire you will feel it.
Old 08-01-21, 11:44 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 642 Times in 363 Posts
In my experience the cause of a sidewall bulge has always been cut tire cords. I used to use Gatorskin tires all the time because I valued their puncture resistance. I rarely wore one out, however, because I'd always rub the sidewall against something and cut down the sidewall cords before the tread could wear out.
Old 08-01-21, 12:03 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3638 Post(s)
Liked 5,316 Times in 2,701 Posts
Agree. It is impossible for your tube to have caused a sidewall bulge in your tire.
Old 08-02-21, 07:51 AM
Peruano
Biker

Bikes: Boone McReynolds, Centurion Pro Tour

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 58 Posts
Do you carry the bike on the back of your car such that the tire hangs close to the exhaust. Heat weakens tire wall and leads to eventual deformation.
Old 08-02-21, 08:15 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
I think it depends on what you call a bulge. But I can imagine a tube that is too wide for your tire might winkle and fold in your tire not allowing those areas of the tire to be supported evenly. Though I've not had issues of such by going a tube size over.

If I had the tire, I'd probably back on at some point with the correct tube just to see. But usually a bulge is from a cut or damaged tire casing.
Old 08-02-21, 09:34 AM
specialmonkey
Fillet-Brazed Member

Bikes:

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
Thanks all for the info. The consensus seems to be - it was the sidewall and not the tube.