Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Looking for lwb hardtail

Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Looking for lwb hardtail

Old 10-10-21, 12:52 PM
LeeG

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 64 Posts
Looking for lwb hardtail

I’m enjoying the Rivindell Clem Smith set up with a BBSHD and now thinking about a hardtail for a mid drive.
So far 50% of the riding is hilly off road off trail and 50% dirt road and skid trails. The bike is set up for panniers and eventually a trailer.
I don’t need or want speed but better handling through really lumpy stuff. More utility/trials than bombing sport bike.
Not sure if putting a front shock on a bike not designed for it is a good idea.
I’ve been enjoying long chainstay/wb bikes ever since I got a Surly LHT ten yrs ago. The long bikes I’ve seen are full suspension but they’re obviously racing and downhill speed oriented but that may be my unfamiliarity with fs bikes.
I’m not familiar with fat bikes but the general concept rubs me the wrong way as 27.5 x 2.4 tires are already super comfy. I’m not riding in snow or sand.
Jones LWB e HD bike is under consideration but wonder if a front shock would give me the handling I seek at less cost.
Appreciate any responses.
Old 10-12-21, 07:36 AM
skookum
cyclotourist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by LeeG
Jones LWB e HD bike is under consideration but wonder if a front shock would give me the handling I seek at less cost.
Appreciate any responses.
I have a Jones LWB (non-electric) and it is an awesome bike, but I think in your situation I would look for a used hardtail and convert that.
Likes For skookum:
Old 10-12-21, 09:09 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 795 Times in 603 Posts
Good advice above. Don't know what dimensions you want, but the seatstay on my 1985 Mt Fuji is 17". Sometime not too much later bikes started getting "shorter". Another aspect of the early MTB's was 1" threaded headsets which you may or not prefer. Also, you could locate a steel MTB and have a frame builder extend the rear (I had a dropout on a steel Mongoose break after about 20 years of hard use and had that done. The guy cut the rear ones off and replaced with adjustable - lengthwise - units).
Old 10-12-21, 09:13 AM
2old

BTW, I've ridden mostly rigid for the last 40 years, but lately have discovered that front suspension has reduced shoulder pain from a couple of spills markedly.
Old 10-12-21, 07:07 PM
late

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 12171 Post(s)
Liked 1,479 Times in 1,092 Posts
One of the best bike companies you've never heard of is Gunnar. They are the 'budget' line of Waterford. I have a Gunnar Sport, and it is fantastic.

They make a variety of frames, not sure which would suit you best. But take a look at this one:

Fastlane
Likes For late:
Old 10-14-21, 06:15 AM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Bikes: Too many but never enough.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 448 Posts
Maybe something similar to this? plenty of room to add motor kit/battery.
https://bikepacking.com/bikes/xtracy...W7PGcZOyIu9dS4

Old 10-14-21, 10:14 AM
2old

Or a Surly Big Dummy (might be named after some members). Xtracycle (AFAICR) started business with a kit that converted a "normal" bike into a cargo bike with an extended rear unit, but it wasn't available the last time I looked at their site.
Old 10-14-21, 06:54 PM
LeeG

Appreciate the responses. I’ve been looking at new entry level hardtails. I’m in a rural part of Tennessee and the used market is Walmart quality for too much or decent quality used for too much money too far away. Folks seem to have a hard time parting with stuff. Had a Kona Ute which kinda soured me on long tails. Thx again.
Old 10-15-21, 06:56 AM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Low budget, probably less expensive to find two used frames and combine into one LWB frame.
As pictured in my previous post, the rear is actually a 20" rear wheel.
Likely take more abuse than a 26" wheel.

Last year, I bought a cargo ebike on Alibaba:
https://www.bikeforums.net/electric-...y-e-bikes.html
I use it to transport large volume/weight of foods in Brooklyn, 100% pavement operation, but at times the pavement in Brooklyn can be as rough as some off-road trails.
The 20 x 4.00 tires were designed more for off-road operation, but certainly provide good amount of suspension for traction, I converted the front end to a different suspension fork and narrower wheel/tire for pavement riding.

The whole project was well under $1.5k, including shipping from China, which seems impossible these days with supply chain/transport situation.
I have little over 2000 miles pedaled on the bike, most of it at PAS level 2 and throttle-only to get going from stop lights.
I get about 50-60 mile per charge on single battery, with a spare battery available to extend the range.
As I wear out the rear tire, I will likely change to a more pavement oriented rear tire.

Last edited by cat0020; 10-15-21 at 06:12 PM.
Old 10-22-21, 07:31 AM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Another example?
https://bikepacking.com/bikes/bespok...1-clandestine/

Old 10-23-21, 03:06 PM
creativepart
Age before beauty

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 19 Posts
I'd look for a Specialized Rockhopper hardtail. They quit making them and so there are a fair number on the market at very reasonable prices. They came with fairly good parts and are very sturdy bikes. It would make a perfect mid-drive eBike.

Old 02-01-22, 04:47 PM
LeeG

well I went ahead and bought a new Co-op 2.2 hardtail and I don’t think I’ll motorize it. Sure the 2.8 tires and 140 mm front shocks give me the rideability I wanted for the bumpy pot holed field and descents but it’s not an easy cruising bike. It’s a responsive go fast bike and I’m not that guy anymore. Gotta say hydraulic disc brakes and the dropper seatpost are nice although the seatpost is squeaky. Maybe the Jones is it, or the Riv Gus Boots.