Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Where'd You Ride Today? (New & Improved)

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Where'd You Ride Today? (New & Improved)

Old 11-22-21, 02:22 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4677 Post(s)
Liked 5,790 Times in 2,279 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner
Wait, what happened to your chain? Did the quick link simply give up? And where was Vito?!
I think that's what happened - couldn't find the quick link on the rest of the chain! As for Vito, see below.

Originally Posted by rccardr
Gugie- 99% impressed by the results but 1% disappointed that there were no peanut butter filled pretzels involved.
No, but I did get invited to Chickenstock next summer by a cute blonde, so I've got that going for me. I'd say that's a good trade off.
Old 11-22-21, 02:29 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3803 Post(s)
Liked 6,634 Times in 2,599 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
No, but I did get invited to Chickenstock next summer by a cute blonde, so I've got that going for me. I'd say that's a good trade off.
Why does that sound like a scene from O’ Brother, Where Art Thou?
Old 11-22-21, 04:06 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
gugie Auchencrow would be so proud of you😉

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 11-22-21, 04:10 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
I think that's what happened - couldn't find the quick link on the rest of the chain! As for Vito, see below.
Good story, good ending. I had a quick link give out on a ride once. I was 30 miles from the car on my way out for an intended 75 mile ride. I never did find the missing half of the quick link. No cute blonde showed up to offer assistance. However the Bike Angel had been watching and offered a perfectly satisfactory solution if a less entertaining one. The incident happened within 100 yards of where a local bicycle activist lived, and someone mowing his lawn next door pointed this out to me. The gentleman handed me his chain tool and we had a great conversation while I fixed the chain. The rest of the story is just about a boring ride back to the car.
Likes For jimmuller:
Old 11-23-21, 12:37 AM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,862 Times in 1,439 Posts
@gugie left out one of my favorite parts of the story, so I'll have to pick it up and add some further embellishment along with one or two facts.

First, I'm not buying the part about a failed quick link. I saw the failed chain, and I don't understand how it happened but one end had a pin intact, but somehow the inner bushing had escaped. I happen to have pocketed the link that was removed, so I have a picture.

But that's not my favorite part. I'm just stalling to build the suspense.

Immediately after the chain failed, but after I called my daughter and woke her up (at noon!) to come save us (unnecessarily as it turned out), Gugie crossed the road to inspect some trees that seemed to be a little too dry. It was then, before he reached the trees, that our Tool Angel appeared. The interaction with her distracted Gugie and he never got around to inspecting the trees. When the Angel returned with the tools, Gugie demonstrated his mechanical prowess, but as with any chain repair, he made a greasy mess of his hands. Our benefactress offered to search her car for some baby wipes that he might clean his hands, but he declined and so she returned to the cloudy realm from which she had emerged to help us and we went on with our ride.

This, at last, leads us closer to the part which prompted my further elaboration. As we went on our way, we missed a turn and instead of the very flat route I had so carefully mapped out, we found ourselves going uphill. Having planned a flat route, I had brought my fully Eroica-approved Masi with 52-42 crankset instead of my usual triple. And so, after about half a mile, I cried uncle and insisted we turn around and go back to my planned route. As we stopped, Gugie remembered the dry trees he had not inspected earlier and decided he should atone by taking a closer look at the orchard next to us. After having done so, as he walked back to his bike, he looked down and what did he see hidden in the gravel, but a chain!

True, if you look closely you'll see this chain belongs to a chainsaw and not a bicycle. So maybe this wasn't an "according to Hoyle" miracle, but it was enough to convince me that the earlier appearance of the Tool Angel was not merely a coincidence but was nothing less than Divine Providence showing approval for our weekly ride.

And now you know...the rest of the story.
Old 11-23-21, 01:40 PM
cooperryder

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 1,493 Times in 408 Posts

Ia

From today in Plano, TX after riding there to assist a 96 YO friend.
I rode my ADP Vent Noir II.

The above Tool Angel story is terrific!!!
Old 11-23-21, 06:47 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,823 Times in 1,709 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_K

...Gugie crossed the road to inspect some trees that seemed to be a little too dry....
Wut?

DD
Old 11-23-21, 08:10 PM
Sir_Name 

Bikes: are fun!

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 272 Posts

Last edited by Sir_Name; 11-23-21 at 08:13 PM.
Old 11-24-21, 01:34 AM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,862 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by Drillium Dude
Wut?

DD
As Smoky Bear says, "Only you can prevent forest fires.”
Old 11-24-21, 09:39 AM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,898 Times in 889 Posts
I guess we now know the answer to the question, "Why did the Bike Butcher of Portland cross the road?"
Likes For BFisher:
Old 11-24-21, 10:05 AM
droppedandlost 
small ring

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 925 Times in 370 Posts
And now you know...the rest of the story.
Paul Harvey would be proud
Likes For droppedandlost:
Old 11-24-21, 11:05 AM
BoltBreaker
This wrench fits...

Bikes: Two Rivs, and a bespoke Gugie

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 26 Posts
As Smoky Bear says, "Only you can prevent forest fires.”
See, your story went entirely in a different direction than I thought you were leading up to, what with the mention of gugie 's greasy hands and his urgent supply of sterile wash solution close by. Of course, in such situations, if one's own supply peters out prematurely, there's no shame in asking a riding partner to lend theirs to the cause.
Old 11-24-21, 04:49 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by BoltBreaker
See, your story went entirely in a different direction than I thought you were leading up to, what with the mention of gugie 's greasy hands and his urgent supply of sterile wash solution close by. Of course, in such situations, if one's own supply peters out prematurely, there's no shame in asking a riding partner to lend theirs to the cause.
One saves this type of thing for spring training. It's common usage amongst Caribbean players, toughens the hands for batting. See Moises Alou, for example.

BTW, my publicist found a link for Chicken Stock. Turns out it's a real thing.
Old 11-24-21, 06:17 PM
Lastmohecken

Bikes: CB4 COGBURN FAT TIRE MOUNTAIN BIKE, with severe modifications

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Well, no pictures, just rode down the gravel road for about 30 minutes, this morning. Then rode a few times, short runs, this afternoon, trying to tweak my bike a little. My thumb is messed up, and I don't have the strength to down shift the rear derailleur. So, I ended up rolling the bracket to the top of the bar, and positioned it upside down. Now, I don't have to use my thumb at all. I guess I am going to have to ride this way, but it works.
Old 11-24-21, 08:26 PM
Sir_Name 

Bikes: are fun!

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 272 Posts
When she told her dad that she was with a couple of bikers, I told her that her father was probably picturing a couple of Hell's Angel types. She said not to worry, both her and her father were drummers in bands, and were used to that type, then invited us to a party they have every July called Chickenstock.
This part of the tale sounds strangely familiar…
Likes For Sir_Name:
Old 11-24-21, 08:37 PM
thinktubes 
weapons-grade bolognium

Bikes: Battaglin Cromor, Ciocc Designer 84, Schwinn Superior 1981

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked 2,374 Times in 890 Posts
Had the day off and wanted to work up a stuffing deficit before Thanksgiving. Rode 36 miles up north. Temp at 50 and windy....

The only way we get warmish wx in late November is with a strong south wind, as indicated by the train vane.

Lots of bike traffic on Sheridan Road. Even saw a "droped" hammer.

Rode down to the beach in Glencoe. Halfway down there's a stone observation point overlooking the lake.

The road out if the ravine is fairly steep. Had to wait for a truck to clear before I could climb out.

With the leaves gone, the hornet nests are visible. This one was the size of 2 basketballs.

Happy to sneak in some miles. 50-degree days are rare this time of year. Had a strong headwind, but thanks to my "Belgium Gears", I was able to get home before dark.

My wife insisted that I recover by walking a couple of miles to our local taproom.

Old 11-24-21, 08:51 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by thinktubes
My wife insisted that I recover by walking a couple of miles to our local taproom.

@Andy_K and I just call that "part of the ride".

The essential part.
Old 11-25-21, 03:24 PM
bironi
bironi

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 117 Posts
Originally Posted by thinktubes
Had the day off and wanted to work up a stuffing deficit before Thanksgiving. Rode 36 miles up north. Temp at 50 and windy....

The only way we get warmish wx in late November is with a strong south wind, as indicated by the train vane.

Lots of bike traffic on Sheridan Road. Even saw a "droped" hammer.

Rode down to the beach in Glencoe. Halfway down there's a stone observation point overlooking the lake.

The road out if the ravine is fairly steep. Had to wait for a truck to clear before I could climb out.

With the leaves gone, the hornet nests are visible. This one was the size of 2 basketballs.

Happy to sneak in some miles. 50-degree days are rare this time of year. Had a strong headwind, but thanks to my "Belgium Gears", I was able to get home before dark.

Need more detail, who's drinking what?
Old 11-25-21, 03:54 PM
johnnyace 
Le savonnier

Bikes: I can count 'em on one hand

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 729 Post(s)
Liked 602 Times in 274 Posts
A short, chilly 25-miler this Thanksgiving Day. Didn't take many pics, but this old barn caught my attention. Definitely seen better days!

Old 11-25-21, 05:38 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 1,739 Times in 630 Posts
Nice weather today about 50 and clear great for biking took the SS Nishiki retro mod trainer out of a short Thanksgiving day ride. Still no significant snow cover on trails or roads below 11,000 feet which is pretty much a record for the Rocky mountains this late in the year almost December with no snow cover. Great for biking but bad for nearly everything else if things don't change were looking at 30 percent vegitation and wildlife kill off and winter forest fires.

There Should be about a foot of snow in this spot.

The 40+ year old lower end Nishiki still looks and rides great. Except for the water bottle pedals and bar tapes everything on this one is over 20 years old and salvage.

Last edited by zukahn1; 11-25-21 at 05:49 PM.
Old 11-25-21, 09:26 PM
thinktubes 
weapons-grade bolognium

Bikes: Battaglin Cromor, Ciocc Designer 84, Schwinn Superior 1981

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked 2,374 Times in 890 Posts
Originally Posted by bironi
Need more detail, who's drinking what?
TUBES: Hop Thirsty Void (Hazy Double IPA)

MRS TUBES: Turbulence (Barrel-Aged Russian Stout)
Old 11-25-21, 09:42 PM
dpd3672

Bikes: 02 Cervelo P2K, 07 Cervelo P2SL, 07 Cervelo Soloist, 09 Cervelo RS, 96 Quintana Roo Kilo, 80 Chicago Schwinn Letour, 12 Motobecane Nemesis, 97 Kona AA, 97 Cannondale f700

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 16 Posts

Just built it up from a bare frame, and while it was wet and cold today, I took it out for a quick 30 minute ride before the Holiday madness started (and drunks started appearing on the roads) to see how it compared to my other bikes.

As I get a bit more saddle time, I've grown to appreciate steel bikes more and more. This one is certainly better than the Centurion Ironman and Schwinn Le Tour that represented steel in my collection.
Likes For dpd3672:
Old 11-26-21, 12:37 AM
bironi
bironi

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 117 Posts
Thanks Tubes, this time of year I might be sipping Mrs. Tubes Stout.
Nice pics!
Likes For bironi:
Old 11-26-21, 06:31 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
We took the tandem tandem out for 25 miles on Thanksgiving Day.

All the leaves are brown [all the leaves are brown] and the sky is gray [and the sky is gray]
We went for a ride [we went for a ride] on Thanksgiving Day [on Thanksgiving Day]
Old 11-27-21, 06:07 AM
cooperryder

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 1,493 Times in 408 Posts

No black Friday shopping for me, but I did get in a ride on my Peugeot.

There are many many live oak trees in Texas that are always green so this little tree that almost appears to be on fire caught my eye so I stopped for a pic.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.