Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

1988 Schwinn Circuit - Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-21, 04:09 PM
Mdl
Montedino

Bikes: Bertin, Ross Mt Hood; Schwinn Circuit

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 20 Posts
1988 Schwinn Circuit - Part 2

Lightning may strike twice! Lol. I found another Schwinn Circuit for sale in my size, 54cm, in Philly for $300. The NYC seller I mentioned in my previous post evaporated.

Only 1 pic, attached, is included in the Philly CL ad. I contacted the seller, he said he’ll send additional pictures (he’s an hour away). I’m excited about the prospect of picking up a Circuit, based on everyone’s feedback in my previous post. That’s if it’s in good condition.

Difficult to tell what shape this bike is in; the picture isn’t the best. The front wheel looks bent? We’ll see. In the meantime, I’ll read Forum posts to refresh my memory on Sante.

1988 Schwinn Circuit

Last edited by Mdl; 12-16-21 at 06:03 PM. Reason: Typographical errors
Old 12-16-21, 04:19 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
While not exactly the same, think of Santé as a yuppie version of 600 Ultegra (aka tricolour) in a white and grey paint finish. The only real issue with Santé is that it looks terrible once it's all scratched up. Hoewver, based on the single photo, this group looks good, outside of those nasty brake hoods.
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 12-16-21, 06:13 PM
Mdl
Montedino

Thanks, T-Mar

It’s nice to see your name here.
Sounds good. I like the way the white brakes look. I’ll post the pics if and when I receive them.

I hope that all the Forum members who’ve been so patient with me, and who’ve lent me their considerable expertise, are well during these crazy times.
All the best to you and your families for a happy and healthy new year.
Old 12-16-21, 06:21 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,923 Times in 1,491 Posts
Another issue is there no quick release on the caliper so it limits your lever options.

For $300 I’d be in the car for a full Sante group in that nice of shape

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Likes For Bianchigirll:
Old 12-16-21, 07:36 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
+1 should be driving already.
Likes For wrk101:
Old 12-16-21, 07:38 PM
Mdl
Montedino

Really? Wow. Ok. Let me see what I can do.
Old 12-16-21, 09:07 PM
Mdl
Montedino

The pics are in. I don’t think the hoods will clean up. I’d replace them. It’s dirty. The chrome may be ok. I don’t see any pitting except for maybe on the inside of the forks, although it may just be dirt. What do we think of the condition?

Also, looking at the head tube - is this a 52cm or instead a 54cm as the seller described it?

Likes For Mdl:
Old 12-16-21, 09:28 PM
Mdl
Montedino

Here are additional pictures.

Old 12-17-21, 09:28 AM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
409 will clean those hoods up, but they may remain gummy afterwards
Likes For DMC707:
Old 12-17-21, 09:36 AM
Mdl
Montedino

DMC, OK. I’ll keep that in mind. The seller suggested magic eraser. Maybe worth a try. Coordinating a meet up.
Does it look like a 54cm, which I’d like, as the seller described it?
Old 12-17-21, 12:30 PM
DMC707

Originally Posted by Mdl
DMC, OK. I’ll keep that in mind. The seller suggested magic eraser. Maybe worth a try. Coordinating a meet up.
Does it look like a 54cm, which I’d like, as the seller described it?

Yes, with those old Shimano brake parts, always better to have nbew hoods in hand before disposing of the old ones --- some are hard to get , but those hoods may be the same as 105 or 600 -- white ones are harder to find

It does look in that 53-54 size range for sure
Likes For DMC707:
Old 12-17-21, 02:25 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Looking at the1988 catalogue, Schwinn appears to have used CTC for frame sizing. The closest size to what I'm seeing is listed as 53.5cm. IThe corresponding top tube measurement is 54cm.
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 12-17-21, 03:23 PM
Mdl
Montedino

Thanks, T-Mar. OK. That should be fine. I had a 52cm Trek. The top tube was shorter than 54 (I can’t recall the exact length). I couldn’t stretch out on it. My Bertin is 54x54 which feels perfect.
I’m meeting the seller tomorrow morning.

Now, of course, my wife is after me to sell the Bertin (and my Ross chrome mountain bike). Because why would anyone need two (two!) or three (“Are you a hoarder?”) bikes?
Is anyone selling a shed (aka an out of sight man cave)? 😉
Old 12-17-21, 03:26 PM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked 2,287 Times in 1,278 Posts
My friend had a 1987 in matte black and he loved that bike , swore it was the best riding bike on the planet. I looked it over when I met him , I had never seen one and was impressed with the way the bike was built. Unfortunately my friend decided to use it for a crash test!! He hit a car and went air born . The front wheel was "taco-ed" so he replaced the wheel. The rest of the frame looked OK . A year later he was riding along and thought he had a flat tire but when he got off to check it turns out the head tube had a helical crack from lug to lug. NOT THE BIKES FAULT , he was not a little guy so when he smacked the car I'm sure it cracked the HT.
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 12-17-21, 03:30 PM
Mdl
Montedino

Originally Posted by Kabuki12
My friend had a 1987 in matte black and he loved that bike , swore it was the best riding bike on the planet. I looked it over when I met him , I had never seen one and was impressed with the way the bike was built. Unfortunately my friend decided to use it for a crash test!! He hit a car and went air born . The front wheel was "taco-ed" so he replaced the wheel. The rest of the frame looked OK . A year later he was riding along and thought he had a flat tire but when he got off to check it turns out the head tube had a helical crack from lug to lug. NOT THE BIKES FAULT , he was not a little guy so when he smacked the car I'm sure it cracked the HT.
Ouch. Good to know about the bike quality. Sorry for your buddy. Hmm..Me thinks I shall ride only in the park from now on.
Old 12-17-21, 04:52 PM
DMC707

Originally Posted by Mdl
Thanks, T-Mar. OK. That should be fine. I had a 52cm Trek. The top tube was shorter than 54 (I can’t recall the exact length). I couldn’t stretch out on it. My Bertin is 54x54 which feels perfect.

Now, of course, my wife is after me to sell the Bertin (and my Ross chrome mountain bike). Because why would anyone need two (two!) or three (“Are you a hoarder?”) bikes?
You NEED both a road bike and a mountain bike ---- especially if the MTB is an early chrome one like your Ross !
Old 12-17-21, 04:55 PM
Mdl
Montedino

Originally Posted by Kabuki12
I’m reading this again and laughing 😂 😂
Old 12-17-21, 05:06 PM
Mdl
Montedino

Originally Posted by DMC707
You NEED both a road bike and a mountain bike ---- especially if the MTB is an early chrome one like your Ross !
HAHAHA! RIGHT! DMC, I need you to remind me of that every time I get the delirious thought to sell the Ross. My LBS owner did mention he can get Panaracer Dart and Smoke tan walls for it. I’m tempted. Although, my neighbor is after me to sell it to him. Can’t think of anything I’d replace it with though. I suspect I’d regret it.

Old 12-17-21, 05:26 PM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 442 Times in 315 Posts
I've always liked the aesthetics of the Sante' components. The hidden mounting system of the chainring bolts is cool. The shape of the 7 speed S.I.S. downtube levers looks just right and that fact that the little rubber cable covers are still preserved is pretty impressive. The sleek upper cage design of the rear derailleur is very nice. The rear Uniglide 7 speed cassette is hopefully not worn out since finding NOS replacements at a decent price is becoming harder and harder to do.

The front shift lever might handle triple chainrings in the front. If it were me I and I had possession of that component group I might try to convert it to a 3x7 geartrain by adding a triplizer middle ring.
Likes For masi61:
Old 12-18-21, 08:19 AM
bikemike73 

Bikes: 1973 Schwinn Sports Tourer plus a " few" more :)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts
I have a Circuit with full Sante !!!!

I bought it a few years ago. Even though it is a little big for me ( 24.5 - 25 ) I still bought it because it is in MINT condition !!!!!

It is rideable and I can put me feet flat on the ground to straddle it

I bought it more for a collection. I do not ride it. I have a " few" others to ride

It is a " little: snug

GREAT BIKE !!!!!!!

Hope you get the bike !!!

Good Luck !!!!!!
Likes For bikemike73:
Old 12-18-21, 09:48 AM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
First, I hope you've bought the Circuit by now. Second, do not under any circumstances be tempted to sell the Ross. It is in great condition and you are unlikely to ever get another one that clean if you sell it and have remorse about it. So keep it. Blame it on me.
Likes For TugaDude:
Old 12-18-21, 09:50 AM
DMC707

Originally Posted by Mdl
HAHAHA! RIGHT! DMC, I need you to remind me of that every time I get the delirious thought to sell the Ross. My LBS owner did mention he can get Panaracer Dart and Smoke tan walls for it. I’m tempted. Although, my neighbor is after me to sell it to him. Can’t think of anything I’d replace it with though. I suspect I’d regret it.

Beautiful bike!
Likes For DMC707:
Old 12-18-21, 09:51 AM
DMC707

Originally Posted by TugaDude
So keep it. Blame it on me.

Me too!
Likes For DMC707:
Old 12-18-21, 10:38 AM
Mdl
Montedino

Originally Posted by DMC707
Beautiful bike!

Thank you, DMC! It’s far from perfect but I sure do like to look at it
Old 12-18-21, 10:49 AM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 1,761 Times in 634 Posts
Originally Posted by Mdl

The top line center of seat to center of bars should be about the same as the Bertin so I think fit should be fine. As for the brake hoods or brakes exage hoods or levers will work and came in white but like the Santa's are pretty pricey for a nice white set.
Likes For zukahn1:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.