Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

How's your winter project coming?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-21, 02:32 AM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,868 Times in 1,439 Posts

I guess I can file this under "harmless lies we tell ourselves." ... A couple of weeks ago, I bought a Cannondale touring bike. I told myself it would be a nice winter project. I even mentioned in the thread I started for it that because we were heading into rainy season I wouldn't feel rushed.

So, as the clock rolls over and the third day of winter starts, it seems like a good time to assess my progress. I need to run brake cables, wrap the handlebars, and put on some bottle cages and it will be done.

I seem to have only two possible outcomes with my winter projects. One is like this one. The other is like the '73 Nishiki that I said was going to be my winter project for four years straight before I finally finished it up in the summer of 2020.

Is it just me? How is your winter project coming?
Old 12-23-21, 03:31 AM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4510 Post(s)
Liked 6,377 Times in 3,667 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_K
I guess I can file this under "harmless lies we tell ourselves." ... A couple of weeks ago, I bought a Cannondale touring bike. I told myself it would be a nice winter project. I even mentioned in the thread I started for it that because we were heading into rainy season I wouldn't feel rushed.

So, as the clock rolls over and the third day of winter starts, it seems like a good time to assess my progress. I need to run brake cables, wrap the handlebars, and put on some bottle cages and it will be done.

I seem to have only two possible outcomes with my winter projects. One is like this one. The other is like the '73 Nishiki that I said was going to be my winter project for four years straight before I finally finished it up in the summer of 2020.

Is it just me? How is your winter project coming?
Its not just you, I have a major project that has been at least 70-80% done for about 2 months.

Could probably close the deal with half a days work by getting off my azz and just finishing it.

Maybe after Christmas.
Likes For merziac:
Old 12-23-21, 05:02 AM
FBOATSB

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 515 Times in 344 Posts
My winter project is coming along swimmingly, but you'll have to go back to Winter 2019/2020 in the English three speed thread to see pics. I managed a shakedown ride that Spring to check for fit them got too sick to continue. Been restricted to indoor cycling ever since. I'm going to put a chrome drop bar with a cool Sturmey bar con on it and change out the 47 YO tires this winter.
Old 12-23-21, 05:05 AM
dmark 

Bikes: 68 SS, 72 Fuji Finest, 72 PX-10, 77 Pana Pro 7000, 84 Pinnarello Treviso NR, 84 Trek 520, 88 Project KOM, 90 Trek 750, 91 Trek 930

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
My winter project is next to last years winter project.
Old 12-23-21, 05:33 AM
top506
Death fork? Naaaah!!

Bikes: Seriously downsizing.

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 280 Posts
Looks like I'm over ambitious. Two frame sets will be back from the powdercoater Monday and I'll drop a third off. Fourth and fifth are in the shop as they don't need re-finishing. sixth is still in the strip/assessment stage. All will be on CL/Marketplace by mid-April. AND I've got something special cooking for my own self.

(looking for a picture and not seeing it? Thank the Photobucket fiasco.PM me and I'll link it up.)
Likes For top506:
Old 12-23-21, 06:49 AM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked 737 Times in 422 Posts
I just hung my summer project back on the ceiling..... and had to go up in the attic and have a little talk with the winter project about expectations...
Likes For bark_eater:
Old 12-23-21, 07:15 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3806 Post(s)
Liked 6,674 Times in 2,607 Posts
I seem to have gone on a buying spree, accumulating a variety of winter projects, mostly to keep myself distracted from my day job:

1974 Mercian: I’m actually just about finished with this one and took it for its inaugural ride earlier this week. Just waiting for new brake pads to arrive as the current ones only suggest stopping.
1986 Raleigh Grand Prix: This came as a frameset and awaits cleaning up after I installed the headset and fork. I test fitted it with a 650b x 38mm wheelset that was on a different bike, and they fit, so now I need to strip the rest of the parts off of that other bike and install on the Raleigh once I shine it up.
1938 Maclean: Another frameset acquisition. It’ll be an IGH build but haven’t decided on a wheel set as 27”, 700c, EA3, and EA1 are all possibilities.
1971 Fuji Finest: Came as a frameset plus a bunch of original parts. Finish is pretty beat. At first, I thought I’d just strip the paint and go with an all-chrome look, but I’m worried the chrome under the paint won’t be particularly well polished. Instead, I’ll likely try an oxalic acid bath first to see if that helps. Build will likely be a 1x 5 or 6.
1990-ish Specialized HardRock: Plan it to clean this one up (acquired for little money) and install the 7-speed group set that came off of a trash picked MTB. I’ll then sell or just give away in the spring.

Now the most immediate thing I should do is deal with the rear flat on my Black Mtn Road, as that’s the bike I’ll use through the winter.
Likes For nlerner:
Old 12-23-21, 07:32 AM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 1,573 Times in 731 Posts
The worst is done; paint stripping. Waiting for a bit of warm to start painting. I can heat the garage up to painting temp if it's >45 outside. which might be this Friday.

2 x 10 speed touring bike on a 25" Centurion frame, Shimano drivetrain sourced from The Box and the net. The gearing is fairly extreme and I'm counting on Shimano's specs to hold true. 50 x 34 front with an 11 x 36 rear.

Hoping to use this on the Erie Canal trail (flat!!!) in the summer, as well as the Catskills (OMG Not Flat!!).

Last edited by BTinNYC; 12-23-21 at 07:39 AM.
Likes For BTinNYC:
Old 12-23-21, 07:35 AM
daverup 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 866 Times in 416 Posts
I have just finished up building a bike for my grandson. He is still very small, and a long way from a nice bike, so I built a StingRay frankenbike. Started with the frameset from a 1966 Schwinn Buddy, added a bunch of reproduction and used parts. It will be good for him to run around his neighborhood on it.

I just changed out the handlebars on my Lemond Buenos Aires. The ergo style didn't really fit me well, and I got these with another project.

My bigger bike project is a modern "gravel" bike, so that will eventually get posted elsewhere.
Likes For daverup:
Old 12-23-21, 07:36 AM
ehcoplex 

Bikes: '38 Schwinn New World, ’69 Peugeot PX-10, '72 Peugeot PX-10, ‘7? Valgan, '78 Raleigh Comp GS, ’79 Holdsworth Pro, ’80 Peugeot TH-8 tandem, '87 Trek 400T, ‘7? Raleigh Sports, ‘7? Raleigh Superbe, ‘6? Hercules

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 1,563 Times in 757 Posts
The '72 PX-10 I acquired a couple weeks ago is stripped, mostly cleaned. I need to source some 700c wheels & rubber, derailleurs, cables and a few other little things for it, do some more polishing and start re-assembly. My 'workshop' is an unheated basement, so temperature is a 'limiting' factor...!
The 80s Peugeot touring bike I've resuscitated for my partner is 90% done, just needs new pedals, a seat and fenders.
Not much of a 'project', but adding low-rider racks and front panniers to my vintage Cannondale tourer is on the 'winter' list, too.
Likes For ehcoplex:
Old 12-23-21, 07:36 AM
johnnyace 
Le savonnier

Bikes: I can count 'em on one hand

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 729 Post(s)
Liked 602 Times in 274 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner
1986 Raleigh Grand Prix: This came as a frameset and awaits cleaning up after I installed the headset and fork. I test fitted it with a 650b x 38mm wheelset that was on a different bike, and they fit, so now I need to strip the rest of the parts off of that other bike and install on the Raleigh once I shine it up.
I'm glad that finally showed up. I saw that it got stuck in the FedEx Black Hole of Troutdale for a bit.
Old 12-23-21, 07:43 AM
ehcoplex 

Bikes: '38 Schwinn New World, ’69 Peugeot PX-10, '72 Peugeot PX-10, ‘7? Valgan, '78 Raleigh Comp GS, ’79 Holdsworth Pro, ’80 Peugeot TH-8 tandem, '87 Trek 400T, ‘7? Raleigh Sports, ‘7? Raleigh Superbe, ‘6? Hercules

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 1,563 Times in 757 Posts
Originally Posted by BTinNYC
2 x 10 speed touring bike on a 25" Centurion frame, Shimano drivetrain sourced from The Box and the net. The gearing is fairly extreme and I'm counting on Shimano's specs. Hoping to use this on the Erie Canal trail in the summer.
We're planning to do the E/W (Erie) part of the Empire trail next summer, too! Elevation-wise, the east-west (or west-east, as we'll do it) doesn't look bad at all- at least a lot easier than the north-south route!
Old 12-23-21, 07:50 AM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 1,573 Times in 731 Posts
Originally Posted by ehcoplex
We're planning to do the E/W (Erie) part of the Empire trail next summer, too! Elevation-wise, the east-west (or west-east, as we'll do it) doesn't look bad at all- at least a lot easier than the north-south route!
I'm also planning West > East. Will cut south just before Albany to get home, getting all my elevation in the last 20 miles through the Helderbergs. Or call for a pickup .
Old 12-23-21, 08:12 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3806 Post(s)
Liked 6,674 Times in 2,607 Posts
Originally Posted by johnnyace
I'm glad that finally showed up. I saw that it got stuck in the FedEx Black Hole of Troutdale for a bit.
Yeah, FedEx was extremely lacking in providing updates for several days, but it did show up in fine shape. Thanks!
Likes For nlerner:
Old 12-23-21, 08:31 AM
mprince
Dont fix whats not broken

Bikes: Steelman Stage Race, Dura-Ace 9s

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 166 Times in 93 Posts
My frame is at the painter in CA, and my office has parts everywhere as some are being cleaned/reconditioned and some are being replaced. Have several parts orders out and hopefully am recovered from hernia surgery by late January when I hope to start getting updates on the frame progress.

Weather cooperating, hope to have my (only) bike back together and on the road by the end of February.
Old 12-23-21, 08:47 AM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2436 Post(s)
Liked 3,118 Times in 1,962 Posts
My winter project is finding room for piles of stuff so I can get to my winter project.
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super

Likes For jdawginsc:
Old 12-23-21, 08:52 AM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,898 Times in 889 Posts
Don't have a specific build for the winter this year, but just gradually getting the maintenance done on some of the fleet. The Ironman got a new Sram 9s chain, cassette & chainrings cleaned. I may get another season out of the Michelin Pro4 tires on it, but they have some sidewall abrasion issues. Thinking about picking up new tires for it.

Also, after trying out a pair of SPD pedals I decided I like them better than the Look Keo system, so I'm making that conversion as well.
Old 12-23-21, 09:15 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,981 Times in 1,775 Posts
It's on hold until after Christmas and after I recover from yet another concussion and other fall related stuff. It's a 90's Calfee Tetra Pro, one of the old italian BB ones that take an odd length BB. I've decided to just get a Phil Wood one but am holding off spending the money until next month.....probably.

Going for a mostly Campagnolo silver bit build, I think.

But I'm also sitting here perusing the local classifieds for an old school MB to set up for riding right now. The Azor is a tricky handling beast on the snow with the regular tires on it and all. The old Raleigh Mojave 8 winter bike was borrowed by my son and left when he moved a year ago. I've got some 26" studded tires, fenders, and racks in the garage so I just need a cheap donor and can be back up on a winter ride again. So that may become another project soon. In fact, there's an 87 Schwinn Sierra for $80 that's available close to me. May be just the ticket.
Old 12-23-21, 10:15 AM
Andy_K 

Originally Posted by nlerner
I seem to have gone on a buying spree, accumulating a variety of winter projects, mostly to keep myself distracted from my day job:

1974 Mercian: I’m actually just about finished with this one and took it for its inaugural ride earlier this week. Just waiting for new brake pads to arrive as the current ones only suggest stopping.
1938 Maclean: Another frameset acquisition. It’ll be an IGH build but haven’t decided on a wheel set as 27”, 700c, EA3, and EA1 are all possibilities.
1971 Fuji Finest: Came as a frameset plus a bunch of original parts. Finish is pretty beat. At first, I thought I’d just strip the paint and go with an all-chrome look, but I’m worried the chrome under the paint won’t be particularly well polished. Instead, I’ll likely try an oxalic acid bath first to see if that helps. Build will likely be a 1x 5 or 6.
1990-ish Specialized HardRock: Plan it to clean this one up (acquired for little money) and install the 7-speed group set that came off of a trash picked MTB. I’ll then sell or just give away in the spring.

Now the most immediate thing I should do is deal with the rear flat on my Black Mtn Road, as that’s the bike I’ll use through the winter.
And here I thought you had given up on vintage bikes! It's shocking to hear that the Black Mtn is suffering neglect.
Old 12-23-21, 10:18 AM
johnnyace 
Le savonnier

I suppose the winter project is finding a framebuilder with TIG welding capabilities to repair the crack where the top tube and head tube meet on my newly-acquired Ritchey Break Away.

I consulted with gugie on the matter, who suggested possibly Breadwinner in Portland. I contacted Dave Levy at TiCycles, who quoted $500, which included replacing the head tube, and a date of July 2022. I've also sent an email out to Keith Lippy here in Salem, who is technically retired from framebuilding, but has apparently done repairs for others in the area recently. I haven't heard back from him yet.

Old 12-23-21, 10:26 AM
Andy_K 

Originally Posted by BTinNYC
The worst is done; paint stripping. Waiting for a bit of warm to start painting. I can heat the garage up to painting temp if it's >45 outside. which might be this Friday.
Paint stripping was where my Nishiki project stalled. I got it down to bare metal and then it sat like that for a few years while I looked for and failed to find the motivation to paint it.

My "other" winter project is to do something about the paint on my Gitane. From 10 feet away the (original) paint looks great, but up close it's got a lot of ugly blotches from a previous owner painting over bare spots with paint that didn't quite match. My plan is to rough sand it and paint over the whole frame with rattle can. The problem is, my painting space is outside (under my back deck) and I might not get a suitably dry day until June.
Old 12-23-21, 10:29 AM
thinktubes 
weapons-grade bolognium

Bikes: Battaglin Cromor, Ciocc Designer 84, Schwinn Superior 1981

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 2,378 Times in 891 Posts
I’ll be happy jf I find time to rotate the tires and oil the chain.

Need to build some wheels to get the Ciocc back on the road.
Likes For thinktubes:
Old 12-23-21, 10:33 AM
Andy_K 

What happened to FedEx? They used to be reliable. Earlier this summer, it took almost a month for my Bianchi frame to get to Oregon from Kansas. I think one of their oxen died along the way. And then for the last week tracking showed it at various places in the Portland area and twice was listed as out for delivery without actually being delivered. I finally changed the delivery location to a local FedEx store and went to get it myself. A friend who works at a local bike shop told me that because of the odd dimensions of bike boxes they often end up in the back of the truck and the driver decides it's not worth the trouble to dig it out.
Old 12-23-21, 10:38 AM
Andy_K 

I suppose the winter project is finding a framebuilder with TIG welding capabilities to repair the crack where the top tube and head tube meet on my newly-acquired Ritchey Break Away.
Ouch! That's heart breaking!
Old 12-23-21, 10:42 AM
johnnyace 
Le savonnier

Originally Posted by Andy_K
What happened to FedEx? They used to be reliable. Earlier this summer, it took almost a month for my Bianchi frame to get to Oregon from Kansas. I think one of their oxen died along the way. And then for the last week tracking showed it at various places in the Portland area and twice was listed as out for delivery without actually being delivered. I finally changed the delivery location to a local FedEx store and went to get it myself. A friend who works at a local bike shop told me that because of the odd dimensions of bike boxes they often end up in the back of the truck and the driver decides it's not worth the trouble to dig it out.
Our daughter's boyfriend works for FedEx, and he offered some insight as to their operations. Apparently sometime in the last several years, FedEx went from being a wholly-consolidated company to a franchise model, leaving independent operators much greater leeway in operations than a carrier like UPS. He indicated that this has not necessarily been a good thing, and that UPS was definitely a better choice as a shipper in most cases.
Likes For johnnyace:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.