Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Holdsworth appraisal

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-22, 01:03 PM
Caliwild

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 682 Times in 285 Posts
Holdsworth appraisal

Hey gang,
How much would you pay for the bike below? Looks to be in decent shape? Thanks in advance!

Old 03-18-22, 03:43 PM
Caliwild

Bueller?
Old 03-18-22, 04:20 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,923 Times in 1,491 Posts
Originally Posted by Caliwild
Bueller?
Patience grasshopper it’s dinner time on Friday. Any other information? Is that fork original?

I don’t know too much about the brand but judging on just what I see I’d off $250 to 300. It could be worth more but as I said I don’t know much about them. Is that a full 531 frame or just TreTubi?

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 03-18-22, 08:27 PM
Slowride79

Bikes: 50s, 60s, 70s Nottingham/Worksop bikes, becanes, Gitane, Bertin, Lion of Sochaux

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 75 Posts
I agree that fork could very well be a replacement in which case personally I wouldn’t touch it. If derailleurs and crank original I would say it’s early 70s. Look online for catalog. Study pics of fork crowns . Usually these forks would have chrome tips so someone could have stripped the paint. Wait for something without so many unknowns unless you can get it dirt cheap.
Old 03-18-22, 09:34 PM
rjhammett

Bikes: 85 De Rosa, 92 Merckx MX Leader, 99 Tommasini Sintesi, 08 Look 585, 89 Merckx Corsa Extra, 72 Holdsworth Professional

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked 552 Times in 241 Posts
The fork may be original. It looks similar to the one on my late '72 Holdsworth Professional. I would guess the one you have some interest in is worth around $300 or so. I may be a bit prejudiced on the price since I am not a fan of Simplex 'plastic' derailleurs.

Likes For rjhammett:
Old 03-19-22, 02:25 AM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1639 Post(s)
Liked 829 Times in 538 Posts
Agree about the trepidation about the mostly Delrin plastic Simplex RD. It could be a ticking time bomb ready to asplode in the middle of a ride......
Consider budgeting for an all metal replacement if you purchase the bike.
The Stronglight model 105 crankset on the other hand was top notch, when it came to French cranksets of that time. A definite plus on the subject bike.

Last edited by Chombi1; 03-19-22 at 02:29 AM.
Likes For Chombi1:
Old 03-19-22, 12:02 PM
Caliwild

Ha! Yeah, patience isn't one of my virtues

Thanks... The seller wants $500 and that sounded a little too steep...I think I'll pass... Thanks for all the responses!
Likes For Caliwild:
Old 03-19-22, 01:37 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,923 Times in 1,491 Posts
Originally Posted by Caliwild
Ha! Yeah, patience isn't one of my virtues

Thanks... The seller wants $500 and that sounded a little too steep...I think I'll pass... Thanks for all the responses!
yeah I agree. Like I said I don’t know much about them but they are nice machines and the guys here with them love them but it doesn’t carry the panache of a known brand.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 03-21-22, 09:52 AM
Wileyone 

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 606 Times in 403 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
yeah I agree. Like I said I don’t know much about them but they are nice machines and the guys here with them love them but it doesn’t carry the panache of a known brand.
How is Holdsworth not a known brand?
Likes For Wileyone:
Old 03-21-22, 08:26 PM
Caliwild

Originally Posted by SurferRosa
If those are Campy Triomphe pedals, I would buy it just for that. If so, I would think about offering $150. If the high flange hubs are matching Record, that amount would be a no-brainer.

The problem with parting it out and selling the frameset separately is the aftermarket fork. So, I would be forced to rebuild and sell as a complete bike. The derailleurs have zero value for me in any capacity. I'd have to find another wheelset and derailleurs to complete the build. Might be a Campy seatpost and barcons as well. Anyway, if the frame is straight, it might be a really fun project.
Thanks for the info! He was stuck at $500 so I passed...
Likes For Caliwild:
Old 03-22-22, 02:13 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 1,761 Times in 634 Posts
I would pass at $500 also I could see $200-300 if one really liked it with the parts it has. Not really mentioned for a rider one would likely be looking at a full wheel rebuild with different rims and tires tires.
Old 03-22-22, 11:07 PM
cyclophilia 

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 63 Posts
This is a really nice bicycle.

Keep your eye out for price reductions over time if the seller relists the bike after intervals of unsuccessful sale attempts.

$300-350 would be a good deal for you as a buyer.

Have you considered the additional refurbishment costs if you do not prefer to ride sew up tires?
Likes For cyclophilia:
Old 03-25-22, 11:03 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Originally Posted by Wileyone
How is Holdsworth not a known brand?
Known is relative. The average bike buyer knows Trek, Schwinn, Cannondale and a couple of more brands. So lesser known brand to the average buyer can mean a good deal for you and me. Now $500 for that bike? I'd pass. But $350? Sure.

Picked up two lesser known brands this road trip, a Mikkelsen and a Mountain Goat.

If seller is marketing it to a local market (FB marketplace or C/L in the US), it could sit for a while. When I make offers, I always tell sellers," it's probably worth more, but I can only spend $xxx on a bike." I've gotten call backs a couple of weeks later on a few of them. Don't be insulting on such an offer (like offering $100). but stay within your budget.

Last edited by wrk101; 03-25-22 at 11:11 AM.
Old 03-25-22, 04:19 PM
Wileyone 

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 606 Times in 403 Posts
Originally Posted by wrk101
Known is relative. The average bike buyer knows Trek, Schwinn, Cannondale and a couple of more brands. So lesser known brand to the average buyer can mean a good deal for you and me. Now $500 for that bike? I'd pass. But $350? Sure.

Picked up two lesser known brands this road trip, a Mikkelsen and a Mountain Goat.

If seller is marketing it to a local market (FB marketplace or C/L in the US), it could sit for a while. When I make offers, I always tell sellers," it's probably worth more, but I can only spend $xxx on a bike." I've gotten call backs a couple of weeks later on a few of them. Don't be insulting on such an offer (like offering $100). but stay within your budget.
I guess it all boils down to geography. Where I grew up I didn't see many Schwinn's or Trek's.