Go Back  Bike Forums > News & Suggestions > Forum Suggestions & User Assistance
Reload this Page >

Spam/scam disguised as a Bikeforums/Bikesdirect email

Notices
Forum Suggestions & User Assistance Have a suggestion for the forums? Need help with the Forums? Post here.

Old 07-02-22, 07:56 PM
atwl77
Kamen Rider

Bikes: Fuji Transonic Elite, Marechal Soul Ultimate, Dahon Dash Altena

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 164 Posts

Just noticed this e-mail flagged as junk, I thought my mail was just tagging it wrongly as usual, until I noticed the actual email address.

Since this is just a screenshot, it doesn't show the full message but suffice to say, the "4 things" the email asks you to do is to click links. Basic Internet safety says don't click anything, of course.

Last edited by atwl77; 07-02-22 at 08:16 PM.
Old 07-02-22, 08:07 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 848 Post(s)
Liked 1,162 Times in 672 Posts
You’ve included your email address.
you might wish to remove it

Barry
Old 07-02-22, 08:10 PM
atwl77
Kamen Rider

Originally Posted by Barry2
You’ve included your email address.
you might wish to remove it

Barry
Ah crap, thanks. I'll remove it and reupload it in a bit...
Old 07-04-22, 08:51 PM
Outrider1

Bikes: Trek Emonda ALR 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 296 Times in 137 Posts
I received that email, but directly from bikesdirect.com (pun intended). It's legit and I've read Mike's book that you can download for free. It's a light, humerous, enjoyable book.
Old 07-05-22, 12:01 AM
Duragrouch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 317 Times in 251 Posts
I received as well...

I received the email as well. My question is, how did whoever get my email address, whether "legit" or spam, or if not, if they bounced this through bikeforums, also how and why? Sounds like either bikeforums has a security penetraton, or they have sold access to my email, which would be a big no-no. Advertising on the website, fine, that's the price of free, no-cost access to the forum. Spam emails, whether legit or scam, no. I expect to see a response from the bikeforums system administrator.
Old 07-05-22, 01:51 AM
atwl77
Kamen Rider

Originally Posted by Outrider1
I received that email, but directly from bikesdirect.com (pun intended). It's legit and I've read Mike's book that you can download for free. It's a light, humerous, enjoyable book.
I wonder if the one I received is a scam version made to look like the legit one from Bikesdirect.

Looking at other emails I've received from Bikeforums (e.g. notifications of PMs and other forum-related matters), they mainly come from a bikeforums.net domain -- though now that I have done a search, there also have been a rare few PM notifications that were sent through an internetbrands.com domain.

Also looking through the links in the email, most of them go back through the travel.ibemail.com domain so I'm not clicking on those to find out where they actually lead... and the Bikesdirect email link contacts an aol account.
Old 07-05-22, 03:43 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18321 Post(s)
Liked 15,302 Times in 7,232 Posts
Scroll down. There is a forum for this type of post.
Old 07-05-22, 03:50 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1766 Post(s)
Liked 1,579 Times in 911 Posts
There is also a way to opt-out Bike Forums advertisers from emailing you. They pay Internet Brands llc for access.
Big Papa's gotta pay the bills, too.

IIRC: It's in settings somewhere or the "Do not sell my info" link at the bottom of the web page.

You might find something useful under section 9 of https://www.internetbrands.com/privacy/privacy-main/

Last edited by base2; 07-05-22 at 03:55 AM.
Old 07-05-22, 07:38 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3059 Post(s)
Liked 6,381 Times in 3,692 Posts
Thread moved from General to User Assistance.

Old 07-10-22, 10:35 PM
Duragrouch

Quote from website privacy policy

Quote from website privacy policy:
We currently do not respond to "Do Not Track" browser signals. Accordingly, your navigation on our sites and services may be tracked as part of our efforts to gather user information described above. If you arrive at our sites and services by way of a link from a third-party site that does respond to “Do Not Track” browser signals, such “Do Not Track” browser signal recognition will end as soon as you reach our sites and services.
I'll be looking for another forum, or not. I can live without it.
Likes For Duragrouch:
Old 07-11-22, 11:37 AM
IBJoel
Administrator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 224 Times in 146 Posts
It is a legitimate email from our sales team. We do not sell email addresses. We have your email because you've signed up to the site. You can unsubscribe yourself by using the link in the email. It's completely safe and unless there is a technical issue, is completely honored.
Likes For IBJoel:
Old 07-17-22, 11:55 PM
Duragrouch

Originally Posted by IBJoel
... You can unsubscribe yourself by using the link in the email...
The Privacy Policy, as noted above, does not respect Do Not Track signals from browsers; Why should we believe they will respect unsubscribe? And will that unsubscribe me from only that advertiser, or all advertisers?

I've looked for settings in my profile to see if there is something I should change but don't see anything yet, I'll look again after this message.

I don't pick up spam telephone calls because that says to the caller that there is a person associated to the number. Based on recent information, I'll be porting that number and establishing new VOIP numbers to sheild my identity, as increasing amount of personal info is tied to phone numbers. Same for email addresses.
Old 07-18-22, 12:25 AM
Duragrouch

Originally Posted by Duragrouch
I've looked for settings in my profile to see if there is something I should change but don't see anything yet, I'll look again after this message.
Settings and options, options, unselected "Receive emails from administrators". We'll see if that stops the advertising emails.
Old 07-18-22, 05:39 PM
IBJoel
Administrator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 224 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by Duragrouch
The Privacy Policy, as noted above, does not respect Do Not Track signals from browsers; Why should we believe they will respect unsubscribe? And will that unsubscribe me from only that advertiser, or all advertisers?
Because I am telling you it will, I know the software, and gain no benefit from whether or not you are subscribed. They're also on two different systems (vBulletin vs Exact Target).

It will unsubscribe you from the Bike Forums list, which means you will not get any emails sent on behalf of BikeForum advertisers. However, if you were on another Internet Brands site, you would still get emails from that distribution list.
Old 09-19-22, 08:29 AM
Glug

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I joined this site in 2011. I was reminded of that today, when I was spammed at an email address I have only ever used with this site. It was a bikesdirect promo.

I checked my profile and "Receive our newsletter and special promotions from our partners" was unchecked. I set it that way when I originally joined, so I'm not sure why I am getting SPAM, or who thought that preference did not apply to this special SPAM offer.

Originally Posted by IBJoel
It is a legitimate email from our sales team. We do not sell email addresses. We have your email because you've signed up to the site. You can unsubscribe yourself by using the link in the email. It's completely safe and unless there is a technical issue, is completely honored.
Clicking links in SPAM messages is insecure and extremely high risk. It is a wonderful way to get hacked.
Old 10-06-22, 01:57 PM
CO_Hoya 
Señor Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 293 Times in 148 Posts
A heads up

I received a pair of apparent spam emails trying to convince me to click on some links regarding my Premium Membership. See below.

I haven't been on here recently, but when I did log on today, my account appears to be paid and I have no unread PMs.

I assume that this is a sophisticated phishing attempt by someone who is familiar with the format and language of the normal auto-generated email alerts.

Old 10-07-22, 04:05 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,560 Times in 1,574 Posts
I just got the same thing as @CO_Hoya, but checking my account, I'm paid up through next year.

It smells like a phishing attack, but mousing over the links and email addresses, they appear to be the same as what is printed. What gives?
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 10-08-22, 02:29 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
What gives?
Probably poor Quality Assurance procedures prior to moving new or updated software into production.

I didn't get the messages, but what I could see looked legit. But apparently sent to a current member instead of expired or expiring member.