Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Paul component center pull vs. Dia-Compe 806 Dual-Pivot

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Paul component center pull vs. Dia-Compe 806 Dual-Pivot

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-22, 12:05 AM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1021 Post(s)
Liked 2,513 Times in 1,051 Posts
Originally Posted by Positron400
Do you know what the distance of the nut to the center of the brake track is?
Per the Paul website, reach for the Racer Medium is 47-57mm, reach for the Racer is 57-72mm.
Old 12-05-22, 03:57 AM
Positron400

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked 223 Times in 118 Posts
Originally Posted by DiegoFrogs
I have a bike with Paul's Racer nutted satin silver brakes that I bought about ten years ago.

They work fantastic. I have them paired with some Cane Creek aero levers. I use 700c x 28 mm tires with 45 mm plastic fenders on that bike. Gobs and gobs and gobs of clearance. The fender edges are pretty much lined up between the pivots, so at the narrowest spot, and I have around 8 mm of clearance on each side, as I just measured.

I don't recall the reach, but on my Carlton I had been using some wrong-vintage sidepull Campagnolo brakes that could've used a few extra millimeters in the rear. I just didn't use them because it was my fixed gear bike. With the Paul's, the front brake pads are near the top of the slot and the rear are near the bottom. I imagine the bike originally had the two different reach Weinnmans that were common at the time.

What frame is that? I see you have the Pletscher style rear bridge but some fun looking headlugs.

I just found the invoice from almost 10 years ago direct from the manufacturer: $146 each. I had just moved to Silicon Valley and they were a present to myself. If I'd known that I'd be laid off within the month, I'd probably have used my Schwinn branded Weinmanns...
The frame is a Puch Clubmann - Originally 2x5 with 27 inch rims and the side pull Weinmanns. I have since changed out most of its parts, and only the frame and brake levers are original. [ Since I looove talking components ( ), here's what I've put on:700cx32 Gravelking slicks, 10sp 11-34 cassette, 105 GS 5500 RD Alivio 9sp RD. (the 105 didnt work w/o a road link), 34/48 GrandCru Drillium crankset. Rivendell DT silver shifters. I very much love this bike. ]

146 $ is steep, but it's even worse here. A set goes for 200 $ w/o the hardware. It'd be a bit banans to spend 500 $ on just brakes for a "not that special" frame, just because it holds sentimental value to me

Last edited by Positron400; 12-10-22 at 09:53 AM.
Old 12-05-22, 10:22 AM
fender1

Bikes: I hate bikes!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked 710 Times in 233 Posts
I am going to be the outlier here and say that I would not pay a premium for Paul center pulls. I had them on the same bike, nutted mount and brazed on. In both case I felt they were less responsive than a nice set of dual pivot calipers. I have the VO dual pivot calipers on 2 bikes and they outperform the Paul's (IMHO) in every aspect.

The VO are also a good bit simpler to set up, simpler to live with if you make changes to your set up and do not squeal.

FWIW, Paul products I have tried and been underwhelmed by : Racer brakes (Long reach) Neo-retro Cantilevers, Touring Cantilevers and mini Moto's. They all work OK but not at at the "game changing" level that justify the extra cost. This is just my opinion/experience, not fact. Other's have used them and loved them quite a bit.
Likes For fender1:
Old 12-09-22, 01:21 PM
Positron400

Scored myself 2x Motobecane + Hardware (cable stops, etc.) from our local bike coop. Will give them a try
Old 12-09-22, 03:24 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1946 Post(s)
Liked 2,004 Times in 1,105 Posts
Those Motobecanes are likely Weinmanns or Asia-Compe clones of Weinmanns and will work great and look great with these. I have them on my Motobecane.
https://www.porkchopbmx.com/scott-ma...d-vintage.html
Old 12-09-22, 05:23 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 664 Posts
I am liking this thread. Good info here, even though some of it is conflicting. That is not a bad thing. There are lots a variables in addition to just the brake caliper. One more variable to throw into the mix is the geometry of the straddle cable. With the Racers and Paul centerpull they can be adjusted to suite.

I am glad to hear that Paul's have a generally good reputation, considering their high price. I always like the Mafac racers even though I now don't have one on any of my bikes. I got to work on that.
Likes For Velo Mule:
Old 12-10-22, 11:55 AM
Bad Lag

Bikes: 1974 Bob Jackson - Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro, Clips & Straps

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 452 Posts
Originally Posted by fender1
I am going to be the outlier here and say that I would not pay a premium for Paul center pulls. I had them on the same bike, nutted mount and brazed on. In both case I felt they were less responsive than a nice set of dual pivot calipers. I have the VO dual pivot calipers on 2 bikes and they outperform the Paul's (IMHO) in every aspect.

The VO are also a good bit simpler to set up, simpler to live with if you make changes to your set up and do not squeal.

FWIW, Paul products I have tried and been underwhelmed by : Racer brakes (Long reach) Neo-retro Cantilevers, Touring Cantilevers and mini Moto's. They all work OK but not at at the "game changing" level that justify the extra cost. This is just my opinion/experience, not fact. Other's have used them and loved them quite a bit.
Let me add another contrarian voice to this thread, as well. I'm coming at it from a different perspective, having not owned any PAUL products.

Why bother? You have at least two perfectly functional brake set ups. If you want them and have the money, okay. If you want black-colored brakes, okay. However, it's not like you can expect any game-changing performance over what you have.

As a point of reference, I am perfectly happy with my Campagnolo side pulls. With new brake pads, they are easily modulated, and, if desired, they can lock up either or both wheels (I'm not sure why you'd want to do that but you could). It sounds like there are many others out there that can do the same.

If this is a hand strength or lever-reach issue, buying aero levers may be all you need.

Last edited by Bad Lag; 12-11-22 at 12:14 PM.
Old 12-11-22, 05:46 AM
Positron400

Quick update: Getting the Aero Levers was definitively the right call. Stopping power (even with my, at this point, quite used brakes) is very much improved. Thanks for helping me save on my expenses (i did get, as mentioned, a set of motobecane center pulls though, for when i feel like i wanna try those - but now it seems the headsets needs servicing :/ )
Likes For Positron400:
Old 12-11-22, 08:27 AM
johnnyace 
Le savonnier

Bikes: I can count 'em on one hand

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 729 Post(s)
Liked 602 Times in 274 Posts
Paul Racer M centerpulls on my just-delivered Hampsten (one year and 4 months in the making!). These are the finest brakes I have ever owned on a bike, bar none. If I had to do it again, I might get the black ones, to match everything else, but I'm very happy with them.

Likes For johnnyace:
Old 12-11-22, 09:38 AM
Positron400

Originally Posted by johnnyace
Paul Racer M centerpulls on my just-delivered Hampsten (one year and 4 months in the making!). These are the finest brakes I have ever owned on a bike, bar none. If I had to do it again, I might get the black ones, to match everything else, but I'm very happy with them.
VERY nice bike, glad you like it. Could you maybe take a close-up pic of your brake cabling at the cable hanger in the front/at the stem? I am unsure as to how I should set this up for center pull w/ a quill stem.
Old 12-11-22, 10:03 AM
norskagent
car dodger

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 61 Posts
I went through something similar a few months ago replacing the campagnolo "long reach" calipers on my Mclean for something less flexy. I considered Paul centerpulls but there was a shipping delay at the time, so I got dia-compe (gran compe) centerpulls from Velo Orange. They work much better than the campy, and are adaptable as nutted fitting as my bike takes. Plus less $ than Pauls. For the front cable hanger I got the rene herse, for the rear nitto.
1976 Fuji Feather track
1979 raleigh track
"I've consulted my sources and I'm pretty sure your derailleur does not exist"
Old 12-11-22, 01:32 PM
johnnyace 
Le savonnier

Bikes: I can count 'em on one hand

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 729 Post(s)
Liked 602 Times in 274 Posts
VERY nice bike, glad you like it. Could you maybe take a close-up pic of your brake cabling at the cable hanger in the front/at the stem? I am unsure as to how I should set this up for center pull w/ a quill stem.
Here you go, some close-ups:

Likes For johnnyace:
Old 12-11-22, 02:21 PM
Positron400

Originally Posted by johnnyace
Here you go, some close-ups:
Thanks! Much obliged! Do you "thread" the cable housing over the stem/handlebars? I presume you don't have enough space to make it go "under" it? (I had similar issues with a rockhopper restomod.)
Old 12-11-22, 03:01 PM
tiger1964 

Bikes: Drysdale/Gitane/Zeus/Masi/Falcon/Palo Alto/Raleigh/Legnano

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 977 Post(s)
Liked 626 Times in 400 Posts
Hi,

I am not terribly satisified with my current brake setup
"I build my bikes to go -- not to stop!"

Likes For tiger1964: