Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Black Bullmoose Bars & a Suntour 3 Pulley RD

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-22, 09:54 AM
OutnBack

Bikes: 83 Diamond Back Ridge Runner, 85 Rockhopper, 85 Schwinn Cimarron, 89 Stumpjumper Comp, 91 Bridgestone RBT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 61 Posts

Snagged this 86 Nishki Cascade in order to harvest the bullmoose bars, XC thumbies, & the XC 3 pulley RD, etc. The parts should help me complete an 85 Rockhopper I'm building up.

Likes For OutnBack:
Old 12-30-22, 10:57 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 1,739 Times in 960 Posts
That looks really nice, almost, almost a shame to take it apart. Keep us apprised of your project please.

Likes For Mr. 66:
Old 12-30-22, 11:32 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
It's kind of sad, but nicer vintage MTB parts tend to exceed the value of the complete bike. It's not close. I have my eye on two for sale in my area right now. It's not unusual for me to see a complete vintage MTB selling for what the thumb shifters alone are worth. Add vintage MTB pedals, nicer triple crankset, some stems, wheels, derailleurs, the list goes on and on. In my market, a $100 bike might yield $650 in parts. Or I can spend $75 in consumables, 4 to 6 hours in time, and lose $50 out of pocket. I may have been born at night, but I wasn't born last night......

If those are Suntour XC-II pedals (and it looks like it), those pedals alone can bring $200 or more.

Last edited by wrk101; 12-30-22 at 04:57 PM.
Likes For wrk101:
Old 12-30-22, 04:15 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
I was gonna say something about how you should keep that Cascade intact, but then that Rockhopper was mentioned. 😲

We'll definitely need pics, when that's done. ✌️
Old 12-31-22, 09:27 AM
wschruba

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by wrk101
It's kind of sad, but nicer vintage MTB parts tend to exceed the value of the complete bike. It's not close. I have my eye on two for sale in my area right now. It's not unusual for me to see a complete vintage MTB selling for what the thumb shifters alone are worth. Add vintage MTB pedals, nicer triple crankset, some stems, wheels, derailleurs, the list goes on and on. In my market, a $100 bike might yield $650 in parts. Or I can spend $75 in consumables, 4 to 6 hours in time, and lose $50 out of pocket. I may have been born at night, but I wasn't born last night......

If those are Suntour XC-II pedals (and it looks like it), those pedals alone can bring $200 or more.
Aye, and if the handlebars are Nitto, they can go for another $100. Check to see if they have the unmistakable Nitto wedge/stamping on the bottom of the quill. I snagged a pair of Specialized handlebars from eBay for a song, because they said "Specialized" instead of "Nitto".

Unfortunately, I live within spitting distance of NYC, so pretty much everyone thinks they have a goldmine. I did get a sweet Rollfast headbadge for $25, though. Shame it came on the bike
Old 12-31-22, 07:51 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,295 Times in 865 Posts
Originally Posted by wrk101
...If those are Suntour XC-II pedals (and it looks like it), those pedals alone can bring $200 or more.
I believe that the valuable pedals would be minus the (visible on these) cast-in reinforcement bridge along each cage plate.
I keep one eye open for those!

Often it's Ebay BMX'ers who pay premium prices for certain "MTB" pedals and even 10s Dura-Ace cranksets (the longer the better).

I think it's just a matter of time before the glut of early-eighties MTB's dries up, they are by now less common to find.
As riders they don't climb well if the chainstays are too long, a 1989 model performs 100 times better imo.

Last edited by dddd; 12-31-22 at 07:57 PM.
Old 12-31-22, 11:15 PM
Pynchonite

Bikes: 2018 Specialized Epic Comp Carbon, 1989 Cannondale ST-400, forthcoming SaltAir Cycles Gravel Bike :D

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dddd
I believe that the valuable pedals would be minus the (visible on these) cast-in reinforcement bridge along each cage plate.

Often it's Ebay BMX'ers who pay premium prices for certain "MTB" pedals and even 10s Dura-Ace cranksets (the longer the better).

I think it's just a matter of time before the glut of early-eighties MTB's dries up, they are by now less common to find.
As riders they don't climb well if the chainstays are too long, a 1989 model performs 100 times better imo.
True, but you can't fit your friends in between the seat tube and rear wheel like on a Schwinn High Sierra.
Likes For Pynchonite:
Old 01-01-23, 07:57 AM
PugRider

Bikes: Fuji Sportif 1.7C, Shogun Metro AT, Jamis Durango SX, Miyata Alumicross, Fuji Special Road Racer, Mongoose ATB, Fuji SST 1.0 Team, Gitane (?), Specialized Rockhopper SS, Univega Gran Turismo, Univega Supra Sport Mixte, Nishiki Tri-A, Diamondback Coil

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 78 Posts
To each his own, obviously, and parts bikes are certainly the way to go when doing a build, but if it was me I'd be thinking I was robbing Peter to pay Paul here. Don't get me wrong: Rockhoppers are great. I have one and I love it. But are we getting a bit carried away with the Rockhopper mystique? I've worked on a lot--a lot--of bikes from that era, and there are plenty of bikes from any number of brands that are just as nice as anything Specialized was putting out, this Nishiki included. Scott, Giant, Univega, Trek, Jamis, Peugeot, Mongoose, GT--you name the brand, they had something just as good as a Rockhopper. Maybe it's a good thing--the Rockhopper craze is sucking up all the oxygen and maybe keeping super-cool bikes like this more accessible. Is the Rockhopper simultaneously overrated and underrated?

All that hand-wringing aside, it looks like you got some super-cool parts for your build (is that a Cascade with the roller cam rear brake?), good luck, and be sure to post pics when you're done!
Old 01-01-23, 10:15 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Originally Posted by dddd

I'll look closer, but there were two versions of the XCII pedals, one with reinforcement bridge, one without.

Yes, I have been selling MTB pedals and cranksets to the BMX crowd. Prices for a crank with one ring can be DOUBLE what the same crank with two rings. Depends on the model. But the first gen DA, 600 arabesque and some Sugino cranks are popular. Just sold a Sugino Mighty.