Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Training Status??? (IV)

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Training Status??? (IV)

Old 01-08-23, 11:09 AM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by BTinNYC
How would you approach Monday's FTP test?

> week 8 of a 24 week training schedule
> If I do the scheduled training 4hr z2 ride on Sunday, I will not be giving my best FTP test. I'll do better if I take a rest day or short loose ride.
> If I rest and rock the FTP, will I be setting the program training too hard...

Sunday edit: my hurting legs answered the question. Rest day.
FTP tests are supposed to be done on fresh legs, otherwise, your ranges will be set too low. If your legs are hurting today, I'd do a recovery-pace ride tomorrow and the test on Tuesday (assuming your work/life schedule permits it). If you're working off a "canned" training schedule and it requires a test on "x" date, ignore that part of the schedule and do it when you can hit it with fresh legs. Getting the ranges wrong can have negative effects downstream.

Demain, on roule!
Likes For revchuck:
Old 01-08-23, 02:05 PM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 1,450 Times in 702 Posts
Originally Posted by revchuck
FTP tests are supposed to be done on fresh legs...
Thank you. Simple and clear!
The plan is canned, but I can move sessions about and it's dynamic based on FTP. The plan has been amazing in it's accuracy except recovery time. The algorithm is based on FTP and max heart rate, but neglected to ask if I'm a weak old fart. 😜
Old 01-08-23, 02:32 PM
revchuck 
OMC

Thank you. Simple and clear!
The plan is canned, but I can move sessions about and it's dynamic based on FTP. The plan has been amazing in it's accuracy except recovery time. The algorithm is based on FTP and max heart rate, but neglected to ask if I'm a weak old fart. 😜
As a fellow weak old fart, we need more recovery than younger folks. IMO, if you've got a hard workout scheduled and you're too tired to complete it correctly, take an easy or rest day and then hit it.

Demain, on roule!
Old 01-08-23, 06:46 PM
BTinNYC 

IMO, if you've got a hard workout scheduled and you're too tired to complete it correctly, take an easy or rest day and then hit it.
Good. I wondered if half-assing a workout was better than skipping. This is better for recovery and avoiding over-training.

I looked at my plan on the laptop instead of the phone and next week is a recovery week. Really well tuned.
Likes For BTinNYC:
Old 01-08-23, 11:20 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Gap in the line of storms, so was able to get out and do an actual workout. Been so long, I forgot what it was like.
Likes For caloso:
Old 01-09-23, 08:28 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1327 Post(s)
Liked 2,438 Times in 1,425 Posts
Start of ski week. At 7000’, slept okay but have an altitude headache. SpO1 95%.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 01-10-23, 11:06 AM
BTinNYC 

FTP test; 212, up from 209 eight weeks ago. Hoping for better, but only a 1.4% improvement.

My fitness seesaws between leg strength and cardio. This test my cardio was cooked during the last 5 minutes, last test it was my legs.
Likes For BTinNYC:
Old 01-10-23, 06:05 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2505 Post(s)
Liked 2,957 Times in 1,571 Posts
raining in San Diego this morning (and dark at 5:45 AM ride time....) so guess where I did my three hour endurance ride?
Likes For TMonk:
Old 01-10-23, 06:07 PM
revchuck 
OMC

^^^^You're a better man than I, Gunga Din!

Things have been going well, though not perfectly. Sunday I had zero motivation, barely made it to the gym, and only did 2/3 of the workout. All I wanted to do was lay around the house and nap. I slept well that night and Monday went out and did a 2x20' threshold workout, and while it was appropriately hard, I wasn't that tired and probably had another one in me. Today was a recovery ride and it felt nice, average heart rate was 89 bpm. Two-hour endurance pace ride and a gym session tomorrow, a 1x40' threshold workout (with the option of breaking it up if necessary) Thursday, and three-hour endurance pace rides Friday and Sunday with a gym session Saturday because I have to work. Coach gave me the option of starting my recovery week either Friday or Sunday depending on how I feel - we're pushing the ramp rate and don't want me to bite off more than I can chew.

Demain, on roule!

Last edited by revchuck; 01-10-23 at 06:27 PM.
Likes For revchuck:
Old 01-11-23, 12:57 PM
BTinNYC 

HAH!
Memory and math need some workouts! Previous FTP was 201, not 209, so improvement was 5.4%.
Likes For BTinNYC:
Old 01-11-23, 07:01 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Pretty solid VO2max workout on the trainer today. It was hard, but not so hard that I couldn't complete it, so good job TrainerRoad AI.

Likes For caloso:
Old 01-12-23, 03:58 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Took the morning off so I could get in some volume, ended up with about 4.75 hours. Trying to manage my fatigue so I put a cap on average power (low z2), and rode right up to it towards the end of the ride, with plenty left in the tank. Body and mind were a bit uncooperative in the beginning, but eventually I loosened up and enjoyed the ride.
Likes For TMonk:
Old 01-12-23, 05:37 PM
caloso

A break in the weather so the pool was open again today. 2500 yds, mostly steady state, really focused on reaching and breathing.
Likes For caloso:
Old 01-14-23, 11:51 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Back from skiing and on the trainer. Today was 3 sets of 5x(30”on 1’off). Max on was z3. I found a higher z2 power and for the off segment bumped the power 25 watts for the on.

I put my Garmin Vector 3 power pedals on the trainer bike and connected the power meter to my Garmin head unit. I put the Garmin Neo Tacx in ERG mode and controlled trainer power from my iPhone.

The Garmin head unit with the Vector 3 was reading 20 watts higher than the power reading from the Neo via my iPhone. I knew it. I completed the warmup.

I recalibrated the Vector 3 and started the first interval. Hmmm, the Garmin head unit is now reading about 8 watts higher. I recalibrated the Vector 3 again and now the Garmin is 6 to 7 watts higher than the Neo. Hmmmm. I would expect the Garmin Vector to read a few watts higher than the Neo due to drive train losses. So it seems like it is reading about right. But I would NEVER use the Neo or any other power coming from a trainer on Zwift.

I definitely feel more force in the bottom of my feet riding the trainer versus riding on the road for the same power. F it. I suck on the trainer. Get over it.

The good news is I am on the trainer again tomorrow for even a longer ride. Yeah baby, I cannot wait for that action.
Old 01-15-23, 08:09 AM
BTinNYC 

Felt a cold coming on yesterday, but not so bad I couldn't ride. We'll see about today. 😉
Old 01-16-23, 09:07 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Another z2 trainer ride - 2x20’. Meh
Likes For Hermes:
Old 01-17-23, 07:41 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

I also rode the trainer yesterday, 2x20' on the TT bike, in position. I actually had decent power on my second one, aimed for low z4 and felt good and hit 13 w over target.

Today, more trainer, just zone 2. Going for 3 hours and change. Off tomorrow, strength routine.
Likes For TMonk:
Old 01-17-23, 08:30 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

3hours on the trainer is total Beast Mode.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 01-17-23, 10:38 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Easier than starting outside (~5:45 AM) in the dark and wet!

Have good power again today, feeling great. 30 min left. Resting tomorrow, I should be poised to finish off the week strong before resting next week.
Likes For TMonk:
Old 01-17-23, 04:15 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Trainer warmup and the 3 sets of 15’ of (30”on 1’ off) cadence > 90 rpm. Low set point z2 upper set point low z3. I will equate the workout to getting 3 cavities filled using laughing gas versus novocaine.

What I have found using the Tacx in ERG mode is that running the big ring and an 11 or 12t rear cog provides the best road feel. I try to keep the rear flywheel going fast. Also, right now my HR is very sensitive to cadence since the power is set by the trainer. Increasing the cadence during the low set point at times resulted in a higher HR than at a higher power setting during the “on” portion. And I know the power is correct.

Also, the trainer tends to impact my knees more. I get more under the knee cap pain on the trainer than on the road. I tried an experiment where I taped my left knee with KT tape when I started to get a little pain after the 2nd set. For the 3rd set, the pain went away. One data point so may be just coincidence.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 01-17-23, 08:05 PM
revchuck 
OMC

Things have been going well, though not perfectly. Sunday I had zero motivation, barely made it to the gym, and only did 2/3 of the workout. All I wanted to do was lay around the house and nap. I slept well that night and Monday went out and did a 2x20' threshold workout, and while it was appropriately hard, I wasn't that tired and probably had another one in me. Today was a recovery ride and it felt nice, average heart rate was 89 bpm. Two-hour endurance pace ride and a gym session tomorrow, a 1x40' threshold workout (with the option of breaking it up if necessary) Thursday, and three-hour endurance pace rides Friday and Sunday with a gym session Saturday because I have to work. Coach gave me the option of starting my recovery week either Friday or Sunday depending on how I feel - we're pushing the ramp rate and don't want me to bite off more than I can chew.
Well, that 40' threshold ride made it to 23 minutes. I kept pushing on the pedals and watching the numbers go down for a couple more minutes, then took a five-minute break and tried again, and got two more minutes out of it, and hung it up. Z2 was all I could do the rest of the way home. So my recovery week did start on Friday. I did a strength workout Friday, took Saturday off, and did a solid 2:15 endurance pace ride Sunday. Monday was off, and today was an hour recovery pace ride. Even with the blowout on Thursday, the ramp rate was +10%.

I'm at that stage where the only way I can find out how much I can handle is to take it to the wall and bounce off. Strength workout tomorrow, then nose returns to grindstone Thursday.

Demain, on roule!
Likes For revchuck:
Old 01-18-23, 05:39 PM
BTinNYC 

No fever today so I did a 50 minute Threshold Interval ride. Couldn't quite do the last 10 minute warm-down all at high Z2, but what doesn't kill you makes you sweat.
Old 01-18-23, 07:49 PM
Phatman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 50 Posts
Felt a cold coming on yesterday, but not so bad I couldn't ride. We'll see about today. 😉
I totally thought this was a pregnancy test when I first looked at it.

I’d go easy if I were you, no need to unnecessarily f*ck yourself over, covid is no joke.
Likes For Phatman:
Old 01-19-23, 04:18 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

2 climbs up Mount Soledad via Soledad Mountain Road. It was cool but a great day.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 01-20-23, 03:55 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Despite my relative success doing a TT workout indoors earlier in the week, I reaalllly wanted to venture out and get some real world time in at SST and then race pace. It didn't really work out, I guess it rained more last night than I thought it would have. Total Armageddon on fiesta, dried mud with like 1-2" bumps, lots of wet mud and water on the ground, now my bike is filthy.

Instead, I rode up and down east mission bay drive a bit. The long southern stretch is (barely) long enough for me to get a 3' interval in, so I did 4 or so of those in at low VO2 max level power, and kinda cruised around z3 in between. Did another interval in position closer to home by the Montgomery airport and onto tech way, got lucky with stoplights there.
Likes For TMonk:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.