Search
Notices
Forum Suggestions & User Assistance Have a suggestion for the forums? Need help with the Forums? Post here.

Google Photos link generator

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-23, 12:10 PM
smontanaro 

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1444 Post(s)
Liked 1,390 Times in 759 Posts
Google Photos link generator

I am moving off of Flickr (too expensive for what they provide, and I already pay for a metric s**t ton of disk space from Google), so will be using Google Photos going forward. Just about the only Flickr feature I used all the time was to generate BBCode fragments to insert photos into forum posts.

Over on the Paceline I was having trouble managing their image insert function (turns out it's not all that obvious there). In the discussion about that problem someone mentioned a website which can help. It only generates a raw image link or HTML though, so I implemented something similar which allows you to generate HTML or BBCode with your chosen width:

https://www.smontanaro.net/photolink

I post it on the off chance some other Google Photos user finds it useful.

Old 02-08-23, 02:41 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6191 Post(s)
Liked 4,807 Times in 3,316 Posts
You can upload a pic file in various formats directly from your PC to your post on BF. It gets saved in the Gallery here on BF. So no hosting site is really needed. Though I don't know if we have a limit on the space we use for photos here.

I too have used the link generated for sharing pics I have stored on Google Photos. But that was hit and miss whether they'd show up. But if I ever need to, I might try out that tool you provided the link too... just not right now.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 02-08-23, 03:25 PM
smontanaro 

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1444 Post(s)
Liked 1,390 Times in 759 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
You can upload a pic file in various formats directly from your PC to your post on BF. It gets saved in the Gallery here on BF. So no hosting site is really needed.
Yeah, I know that and use it from time-to-time when it seems like the right way to go (if I want an image to be perpetually available, for example). In most instances, I prefer to reference them in-place. The process goes something like this:
  • Take a picture on my phone
  • A moment later it automatically shows up on Google Photos (and on Flickr until I disabled auto-upload)
    • On Flickr, I just share, select the resolution, and it spits out a chunk of BBCode
    • Google Photos doesn't support those features (user-specified resolution or BBCode generation), so I would have to download the image, run a netpbm pipeline to tweak the size, then upload the image) – BTDT & most of the time I simply don't want to do that dance
A final bit about the BBCode stuff. My original impetus to write this was that I couldn't figure out how to display uploaded inline images on The Paceline. Small wonder, as it has an unbelievably baroque image upload procedure.

As I am leaving Flickr behind, I wanted the same easy way to reference images directly from Google Photos while selecting the display resolution. That's what the little web page does. It scratches my itch, which is good enough for me. If nobody else wants to use it that's fine.