Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

More gasoline on the fire - Electronic Shifting

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

More gasoline on the fire - Electronic Shifting

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-23, 08:17 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4340 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 995 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
Yes, I am weak and need push button shifting.

My excuse is lame. On a cross country race, a pickup mirror hit my shoulder sending me into a corn field putting a dime sized chip in my shoulder. A dog bit me calf the next day and the day after about 200 miles and 26,000 feet into the day or night, two dogs took me down and torn my rotator cuff. Foolishly, I did the last 600km and 30,000 feet trying to ride with one arm. Shifting mechanical is hard for this pu$$y
Are you using your disability to make it sound like I was bagging on the handicapped using things that help them live normal lives?

You might also suggest that I am racist against the French for developing electronic shifting.
Likes For Kontact:
Old 02-20-23, 08:26 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 7,284 Times in 2,941 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact
I strongly disagree on front shifting. You can better control the timing and force with mechanical.
When I push the levers on my mechanical shifters, they shift. When I push the levers on my electronic shifters, they shift. Mechanical does not offer better “control” of the timing.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 02-20-23, 08:29 PM
Kontact 

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
When I push the levers on my mechanical shifters, they shift. When I push the levers on my electronic shifters, they shift. Mechanical does not offer better “control” of the timing.
You've never noticed that you can shift onto the big ring slowly and with less force if you want to? You can.
Likes For Kontact:
Old 02-20-23, 08:35 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Which is faster.. rolling up the window with a crank or with an electric push-button? That seems the net crux of this thread.
Old 02-20-23, 08:36 PM
tomato coupe

You've never noticed that you can shift onto the big ring slowly and with less force if you want to? You can.
Shifting slowly just means more rubbing. I can set a parameter on my electronic to shift more slowly, but there’s no reason I would want it to do that.
Old 02-20-23, 08:58 PM
Kontact 

Shifting slowly just means more rubbing. I can set a parameter on my electronic to shift more slowly, but there’s no reason I would want it to do that.
The usual expression is feathering, and it is something people do when they are shifting under tremendous loud, have wear or damage on the chainrings or have concerns about dropping the chain at a key time.
Old 02-20-23, 09:05 PM
tomato coupe

The usual expression is feathering, and it is something people do when they are shifting under tremendous loud, have wear or damage on the chainrings or have concerns about dropping the chain at a key time.
You can call it anything you like, but the fact is slow shifting means the chain is rubbing more on both the derailleur and the chain ring. There is no benefit.
Old 02-20-23, 09:13 PM
Kontact 

You can call it anything you like, but the fact is slow shifting means the chain is rubbing more on both the derailleur and the chain ring. There is no benefit.
It is always refreshing to take a break from reality and read about what people on Bike Forums are substituting for it. Your statement isn't as interesting as the ones about how springs work in this thread, but they are interesting.

Last edited by Kontact; 02-20-23 at 10:40 PM.
Old 02-20-23, 09:21 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Which is faster.. rolling up the window with a crank or with an electric push-button? That seems the net crux of this thread.
Which lets you safely get the passenger-side door? That's the kicker for me. Crank windows can DIAF.
Old 02-20-23, 09:24 PM
tomato coupe

It is always refreshing to take a brake from reality and read about what people on Bike Forums are substituting for it. Your statement isn't as interesting as the ones about how springs work in this thread, but they are interesting.
Reality is alive and well in my world, where shifting works best when you minimize the time spent in transition. I don’t think you will find an engineer in the cycling business that thinks it’s a good idea to slowly grind your way onto another chain ring.
Old 02-20-23, 10:47 PM
Kontact 

Reality is alive and well in my world, where shifting works best when you minimize the time spent in transition. I don’t think you will find an engineer in the cycling business that thinks it’s a good idea to slowly grind your way onto another chain ring.
So we could have one of those back and forths where I patiently explain that it isn't just grinding away but feeling for the spot where the chain will go up with the least effort. And then you'll reply as if you've never experienced this, insist that what I'm talking about doesn't actually exist and then mischaracterize my initial post as saying that everyone should be shifting this way every time.

Or I could just write down the whole insensible conversation and you can go back to pretending you don't have any experience easing a shift.
Likes For Kontact:
Old 02-20-23, 10:59 PM
tomato coupe

So we could have one of those back and forths where I patiently explain that it isn't just grinding away but feeling for the spot where the chain will go up with the least effort. And then you'll reply as if you've never experienced this, insist that what I'm talking about doesn't actually exist and then mischaracterize my initial post as saying that everyone should be shifting this way every time.
Again, you can call it anything you want, but that "feeling" is the chain rubbing on the chain ring.
Old 02-20-23, 11:06 PM
ummed

Bikes: 2009 S-Works Tarmac SL2, 2012 S-Works Venge, 2014 Specialized CruX Pro, 2019 S-Works Tarmac SL6

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
I have enough friends with eTap issues I wouldn't trust it. I've had and read enough about SRAM mechanical issues that I wouldn't trust that either.
What were the issues they had?
Likes For ummed:
Old 02-21-23, 06:24 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
Which lets you safely get the passenger-side door? That's the kicker for me. Crank windows can DIAF.
From a safety perspective.. what if you drive off a bridge and end up at the bottom of the river and need to escape.. then which is the more reliable?
Old 02-21-23, 07:49 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7648 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
As for mechanical shifting and "rubbing' .... maybe y'all have forgotten the days of friction ....

Gently lifting the chain off the middle ring and depositing it perfectly onto the teeth of the big ring was a supreme skill .... At the time I was riding a lot and i got very good at shifting at just the right time to lift and drop the chain with minimal time and minimal grinding .... getting just enough of the chain to wrap that it would pull itself onto the chain ring but not to waste a moment, or momentum.

Something similar is possible with an indexed brifter because it is still a mechanical connection ... I can pull the lever a certain amount or speed and adjust, if say, the indexing is a little off (usually I just adjust the barrel adjuster but sometimes they stick and need two hands and I am not going to crash for adjusting a shifter.)

This does not equate to grinding.

Is this in any way better or worse than electronic, which pretty much does everything with a speed and precision equal to or better than even a skilled rider?

I simply don't care. Fight away to be the king of the Internet hill.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 02-21-23, 07:50 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7648 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
And ... whether or not my (potential) next bike has electronic shifting, you can believe this---it will not have hand-cranked, roll-up windows. I am no Luddite.
Old 02-21-23, 07:54 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
What about those slide windows with pull loops that came on some limited production factory race cars in the 60's?
Likes For seypat:
Old 02-21-23, 08:03 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

From a safety perspective.. what if you drive off a bridge and end up at the bottom of the river and need to escape.. then which is the more reliable?
My Civic with manual windows had the driver's-side fail. So I'm going with power windows being more reliable.

Also, I trust myself to not drive off a bridge. More concerned with being able to do things while, you know, driving normally.
Old 02-21-23, 08:04 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Originally Posted by ummed
What were the issues they had?
Shifts not taking, followed by the queued shifts suddenly occurring at once.
Old 02-21-23, 08:06 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Are you using your disability to make it sound like I was bagging on the handicapped using things that help them live normal lives?

You might also suggest that I am racist against the French for developing electronic shifting.
No but invoking rule 5 (harden the **** up)and calling me handicapped is rude and I was calling you out on it. So, having a hand problem makes me disabled and not "normal" is my take on your latest.

I don't think you are racist, I think you are weak.
Old 02-21-23, 08:09 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2611 Post(s)
Liked 3,128 Times in 1,645 Posts
Haven't read the thread, just want to weigh in on my experiences. Etap 11 user for a few years (TT bike, 1x up front) and recently Ultegra Di2 12 speed on my TCR (~8 months). I think the potential downsides are being a bit heavier and having to remember to charge them occasionally. The benefits greatly, greatly outweigh them IMO. I'll report back if/when I have other issues. I like not having to work on my bikes.
Old 02-21-23, 08:17 AM
seypat

Back around 2015-2017 a friend fo mine who was a hardcore triathlete won a new bike in a giveaway from his tri club. Nice bike with a SRAM group on it. He hadn't had it very long when we did this ride listed below. Throughout that ride, the FD would not shift correctly. At every SAG, the mech crew would have to work on it. They finally got it on the small ring at one point and told him to keep it there the rest of the ride. I don't remember the story of the bike after that.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/29030456
Old 02-21-23, 08:19 AM
seypat

No but invoking rule 5 (harden the **** up)and calling me handicapped is rude and I was calling you out on it. So, having a hand problem makes me disabled and not "normal" is my take on your latest.

That was a true story? I apologize, I didn't know. Epic read either way.
Old 02-21-23, 08:21 AM
Kontact 

I didn't call you handicapped. I said that you were implying that I was dismissive of those with handicaps.

Why do you think the word "handicapped" is rude? Or is it like "gay", where it is an okay label for other people, but offensive if someone implies that it applies to you?

What's rude is that some people in this thread started talking about other people's shifting choices as if those others were cheap or stupid. And everything that's been posted since is a result of that.

I think your personal attack was weak.
Likes For Kontact:
Old 02-21-23, 08:31 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11952 Post(s)
Liked 6,603 Times in 3,467 Posts
Let’s drop it right now, you two!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.