Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Machine built wheels

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Machine built wheels

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-23, 09:45 AM
RustyJames 

Bikes: You had me at rusty and Italian!!

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 565 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 541 Posts
Machine built wheels

I have a MTB frame that needs the dropouts filled and I have been poking around the interwebz to see my hub/spoke/rim options for rim brakes and things ain’t great. Almost everything is disc brake and the cost adds up quickly. I want to go all new since most of the 26” used stuff I have found seems to be in rough condition.

I was poking around Universal Cycles website and I can get a set of decent machine built wheels for ~$200. Anyone have any experience with machine built wheels? All new stuff for $200 (assembled!) seems like a win.

Thanks for the feedback!
Old 03-08-23, 10:04 AM
AngryScientist 
Lost

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 113 Times in 45 Posts
The low cost machine built wheels usually use boat anchor hubs and straight gauge spokes which make for heavy riding, sluggish wheels in my experience. What hubs, spoked and rims is this $200 set using? What are you planning on using this bike for?
Old 03-08-23, 10:16 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4677 Post(s)
Liked 5,790 Times in 2,279 Posts
Originally Posted by AngryScientist
The low cost machine built wheels usually use boat anchor hubs and straight gauge spokes which make for heavy riding, sluggish wheels in my experience. What hubs, spoked and rims is this $200 set using? What are you planning on using this bike for?
Yeah, but it's $200. I bought a set like that several years ago that worked out just fine. Honestly, tires make a much bigger difference on ride than wheels. Also note that this is a mountain bike, not a fast racer. 26" rims will have a minimum 1.5" width, maybe wider - @RustyJames, what size tires do you expect to use?

And machine built wheels can be built with quality components. Wheelsmith was pretty famous for high quality, machine built wheels BITD, no one complained about them back then. The fact that they're $200 for a set tells me the components are pretty cheap, which you alluded to.

Last edited by gugie; 03-08-23 at 10:32 AM.
Likes For gugie:
Old 03-08-23, 10:25 AM
daverup 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 415 Posts
I bought a set of DT Swiss 700c wheels with Shimano Disc Thru axle hubs that were machine built a couple of years ago.
They were true when I received them, but I went through checking the spoke tension anyway.
I think the machine does the tensioning the fastest way it can, keeping the wheel true and round. This resulted in uneven tension in a couple of spots. By taking my time, I re-tensioned and got it much more consistent. I haven't had any real problems with the set.
Likes For daverup:
Old 03-08-23, 10:29 AM
Repack Rider
Retro on steroids

Bikes: Breezer Repack 650-B, 2011 Gary Fisher Rumblefish II, Gary Fisher HiFi 29er, 1983 Ritchey Annapurna, 1994 Ritchey P-21, 1978 Breezer #2, 1975 Colnago, Ritchey P-29er

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked 624 Times in 131 Posts
I built all the wheels for the MountainBikes company, until I couldn't keep up.

We visited Wheelsmith in Palo Alto, and I saw that the machine did a better job than I did, in seconds.

We supplied the hubs, spokes and rims, and they did a great job for us. The wheel will reflect the components used.
Old 03-08-23, 10:41 AM
RustyJames 

Here is one example;

Plain Deore hubs not listed above but in the general description. Like I said, decent but not WOW! Weekend put-around rider, I’m not trying to smash downhill records.
Old 03-08-23, 10:45 AM
RustyJames 

gugie Sorry, didn’t address your question. Tires in the 2 inch range but that is still undecided.
Old 03-08-23, 11:23 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by RustyJames
gugie Sorry, didn’t address your question. Tires in the 2 inch range but that is still undecided.
Yeah, with that size tire I highly doubt you'd notice a difference in the ride between a $200 and a $800 set of wheels. Longevity would be the only difference.
Old 03-08-23, 11:32 AM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1557 Post(s)
Liked 1,732 Times in 972 Posts
If you are buying new MTB rims, do yourself a favor and get tubeless or tubeless ready rims. You'll have to pay more than $200 but you won't regret it. BTW I got used Mavic CrossMax and CrossRoc tubeless 26" wheelsets for both my sons' MTB's. These are true tubeless rims with no spoke holes in the rim bed. I paid $100 for one set and $200 for the other. So they are out there. Keep your eyes peeled.
Old 03-08-23, 12:24 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 955 Post(s)
Liked 1,619 Times in 1,039 Posts
If machine built wheels MBW is what I can afford to keep ridding then bring um on! Yep... I am one of those cheap bastard machine built wheel set guys. I have been quite satisfied with all sets considering the money I saved.

Now days when I get a new Machine Buildt Wheel set I go through a close inspection. I check the quality of the spokes and their installation first. Gauge, length, depth of the nipples, neck, tension and positioning on the hub first. If all that is good then I am ready to go. Often they are not.

So I end up loosening everything up and then retrueing the wheels. Not a rebuild but just a reset.

You can definitely find a set of machine built wheels costing less then it would to buy all the components and build it yourself.

There are many that would recommend a professionally made custom built wheel set. If ya got the money that's thats the way to go...
Old 03-08-23, 12:44 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4224 Post(s)
Liked 2,944 Times in 1,803 Posts
Bought a set of machine built wheels from velomine a decade or so ago for less than it would have cost me to buy the same hubs for a bike I was building for my wife. Checked the spoke tension and it was all right on and the wheels were true. A decade later, they're still true.
Likes For himespau:
Old 03-08-23, 12:57 PM
Schweinhund

Bikes: a couple

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by RustyJames
I have a MTB frame that needs the dropouts filled and I have been poking around the interwebz to see my hub/spoke/rim options for rim brakes and things ain’t great.. I want to go all new since most of the 26” used stuff I have found seems to be in rough condition.
I was poking around the innertubes in your area and found a few options I would consider.
for 50 bucks, the wheels on this thing are decent enough. I've flipped a few of this bike and I've been impressed.
Plus you get parts to trade or flip.
.4]https://offerup.com/item/detail/f9b2219c-10e9-36f4-a3bc-e1c3955b2e00?cid=l].4

Or this set of wheels, with machined brake track and disks, + 9 speed cassette + tires and tubes.
Look to be pretty decent and they've been listed long enough where he'll come down.[/url]
https://portland.craigslist.org/clk/...590302217.html
I'm just a cheapskate.
Old 03-08-23, 02:17 PM
RustyJames 

Slight derailment - when did through axles become a thing? I am totally ignorant on those but I think they went hand-in-hand with disk brakes?
Old 03-08-23, 03:36 PM
Jeff Neese

Quoted: 1081 Post(s)
Liked 681 Times in 438 Posts
I was skeptical until I bought a set of Wheelmaster wheels from Velomine. They were well under $200 and they're great. Tension was checked and tweaked but they were very close right out of the box. The rims were Sun CR18 which I have used on a few custom builds, and the Origin 8 hubs are surprisingly nice.
Likes For Jeff Neese:
Old 03-08-23, 03:42 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,865 Times in 1,439 Posts
I think it probably depends on the machine, but my rule of thumb for automation is "if you can explain, step-by-step, how you do something, it can be automated." From there it's just a matter of refining the process until you get the results you want. Wheel building is a very mechanical process, so apart from choosing the components, I can't see any reason it wouldn't be possible to make a machine that builds better wheels than a human. John Henry won't like it, but this is reality. Humans are obsolete technology.

I've bought some cheap machine-built wheels from VeloMine and then did basic stress-relieving an re-tensioning before using them. I've also bought a similar set from the same source and just ridden it. It needed re-truing in a short time, but it wasn't bad. I'm still using both of those wheelsets quite happily.

You're right that thru axles go hand-in-hand with disc brakes, but thru axles are much more recent. They solve the problem of not being able to mount the wheel without getting rub on the rotors. I want to say they came into common usage around 2012, but I could be off by a few years either way.
Old 03-08-23, 03:55 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

If this were a CR list thread, someone would jump in and say "that's off-topic." If we're talking thru axle, that's not C&V.
Old 03-08-23, 04:29 PM
RustyJames 

Originally Posted by Jeff Neese
I was skeptical until I bought a set of Wheelmaster wheels from Velomine. They were well under $200 and they're great. Tension was checked and tweaked but they were very close right out of the box. The rims were Sun CR18 which I have used on a few custom builds, and the Origin 8 hubs are surprisingly nice.
Wow, I have missed out. First time I have heard of Velomine. They will definitely be getting a few $$ from me. Thx Jeff!
Likes For RustyJames:
Old 03-08-23, 05:09 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3804 Post(s)
Liked 6,640 Times in 2,602 Posts
I bought a basic set of 26” wheels for my mtb commuter from Velomine and have been very pleased: Sun CR18 rims, basic Shimano non-disc hubs, likely 14g spokes. True out of the box and holding up well through the rigors of winter urban commuting.
Old 03-08-23, 05:19 PM
daverup 

I don't see it mentioned here, but through axles are not backward compatible with your C&V frame and fork dropouts.
Old 03-08-23, 05:30 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by daverup
I don't see it mentioned here, but through axles are not backward compatible with your C&V frame and fork dropouts.
Well, the Bike Butcher of Portland could...

wait, what the heck am I talking about?
Old 03-08-23, 05:42 PM
daverup 

Originally Posted by gugie
Well, the Bike Butcher of Portland could...

wait, what the heck am I talking about?
I'm sure you could, but that might be that "bridge too far"
Old 03-08-23, 05:43 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by daverup
I'm sure you could, but that might be that "bridge too far"
Yep. I've done some crazy stuff, but that's a no-no.
Old 03-08-23, 05:51 PM
C9H13N 

Bikes: Davidson ’81

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 121 Posts
I have a set of Velo Mine / Wheel Master machine built wheels. Mine are HED Belgium to 105 hubs with butted DT spokes. They were cheaper pre-built than I could have bought as parts and built myself.

I weigh over 200 lbs and they have survived an STP double century and a couple seasons of commuting just fine. I did nothing to them out of the box and I’ve never had to true them since.
Likes For C9H13N:
Old 03-08-23, 06:14 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 955 Post(s)
Liked 1,619 Times in 1,039 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff Neese
Hey!!! That's the ticket... Gonna nab me a set of Sun CR18s today... Thanks