Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What are the biggest wastes of money in biking?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

What are the biggest wastes of money in biking?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-23, 02:17 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4926 Post(s)
Liked 8,056 Times in 3,809 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
Running's not that expensive up front, but the super shoes out now are approaching $300/pair. They still wear out as fast.

https://www.fleetfeet.com/browse/sho...?price=200-300
Originally Posted by Lombard
Not bowling. A good ball is $200-300. A bag and some resin is a trivial cost. The biggest expense in bowling is lane rental which in a year (based on weekly) can buy at least two bowling balls.
LOL - I knew someone would come along with exceptions, which is exactly why I worded it with "pretty much" and "likely". The $1000 is not a hard rule, just an impression I've gotten over the years in talking with people about their interests/hobbies. Things can be done cheaper sometimes, but as people get more serious about their hobby, gear tends to get upgraded pretty quickly.

Serious runners tend to wear serious running clothes (and probably have more than 1 set), plus sunglasses, hat, and probably some other stuff I don't know about. The gap to $1000 narrows...

How much are decent bowling shoes? I would definitely include facility/use fees as part of costs.

When my daughter was playing softball, I decided to start live-streaming games for families and friends to be able to watch when they couldn't be there in person. It wasn't just the cost of the camera. I needed hardware for mounting the camera to the backstop fence, large capacity power banks for both the camera and host device, high-capacity SD cards, cables, adapters, a case to store/protect everything, and a backpack for easy hauling. I got to $1000 surprisingly quickly.
Old 03-20-23, 02:35 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,855 Times in 6,071 Posts
Originally Posted by Lombard
Not bowling. A good ball is $200-300. A bag and some resin is a trivial cost. The biggest expense in bowling is lane rental which in a year (based on weekly) can buy at least two bowling balls.
And you can rent the shoes.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 03-20-23, 02:35 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Like most any hobby, there are ways to save money. Buy/use last year's equipment when the current year's new stuff comes out. Non popular colorways are cheaper also. Sign up for events as soon as you can to take advantage of early discounts. I'm currently running in version 11 of Saucony Kinvaras. This year's version just released is #14, a complete redesign that is not similar to the previous versions. Versions 10, 12 and 13 fit differently and I couldn't use them. I've been hoarding the 11s for a few years. They're almost impossible to find now. I have 3 pairs in reserve. That should get me through to the end of the year and give me time to find a different shoe all together. You do what you have to.

Last edited by seypat; 03-20-23 at 02:59 PM.
Likes For seypat:
Old 03-20-23, 02:43 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 7,284 Times in 2,941 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
When my daughter was playing softball, I decided to start live-streaming games for families and friends to be able to watch when they couldn't be there in person. It wasn't just the cost of the camera. I needed hardware for mounting the camera to the backstop fence, large capacity power banks for both the camera and host device, high-capacity SD cards, cables, adapters, a case to store/protect everything, and a backpack for easy hauling. I got to $1000 surprisingly quickly.
I don't think a camera qualifies as a legitimate cost of playing softball.
Old 03-20-23, 02:46 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
I don't think a camera qualifies as a legitimate cost of playing softball.
It's not. Live-streaming was the new hobby.

Outfitting a softball catcher playing at the top level of the sport (for her age) passes the $1000 mark in a hot damn hurry, even before you start adding up team fees, instruction fees, and travel expenses.
Old 03-20-23, 02:48 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Originally Posted by genejockey
And you can rent the shoes.
Just a guess, but anyone spending $200-300 on a ball, and is bowling weekly (or more) is probably not renting shoes. This is about people getting serious about a hobby, not occasional recreation.
Old 03-20-23, 02:53 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Like most any hobby, there are ways to save money. Buy/use last year's equipment when the current year's new stuff comes out. Non popular colorways are cheaper also. Sign up for events as soon as you can to take advantage of early discounts. I'm currently running in version 11 of Saucony Kinvaras. This year's version just released is #14. A complete redesign that is not similar to the previous versions. Versions 10, 12 and 13 fit differently and I couldn't use them. I've been hoarding the 11s for a few years. They're almost impossible to find now. I have 3 pairs in reserve. That should get me through to the end of the year and give me time to find a different shoe all together. You do what you have to.
Hording a stash of older models of shoes that are proven to be "just right" is not uncommon, based on what I've heard from some of my running friends. Others, it seems, spend a ton trying to find that "just right" model.
Old 03-20-23, 02:55 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Just a guess, but anyone spending $200-300 on a ball, and is bowling weekly (or more) is probably not renting shoes. This is about people getting serious about a hobby, not occasional recreation.

We're getting into circular reasoning territory here. The evidence that you need to spend a fair amount to become a serious hobbyist is turning out to be that the serious hobbyist is the one who sends a fair amount of money.
Old 03-20-23, 03:01 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Originally Posted by livedarklions
We're getting into circular reasoning territory here. The evidence that you need to spend a fair amount to become a serious hobbyist is turning out to be that the serious hobbyist is the one who sends a fair amount of money.
I never intended to imply that anyone NEEDS to spend a certain amount of money to be considered serious. It was my observation that people who do get serious about a hobby tend to spend $1000+ to get themselves outfitted decently. There will be exceptions. There are also some that $1000 doesn't even scratch the surface of start-up expense. My observation is unsupported by data or other scientific factors. It's just a trend I have noticed over the course of many years. I could be totally wrong.
Old 03-20-23, 03:01 PM
seypat

Originally Posted by livedarklions
BF in a nutshell.
Old 03-20-23, 03:06 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 7,284 Times in 2,941 Posts
No true Scotsman ...
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 03-20-23, 03:07 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,855 Times in 6,071 Posts

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 03-20-23, 03:13 PM
seypat

As for my cycling hobby, I'm lucky/unlucky that I prefer road 3x and 5-8/9 over 2x and 10+. It's explained in other threads, so no need to hash it out. Because of that, my bike evolution stopped a while ago. Heck, I still use the original Conti GPs if I can find them. If not, it's whatever's cheapest in their line.
Likes For seypat:
Old 03-20-23, 03:21 PM
seypat

Hording a stash of older models of shoes that are proven to be "just right" is not uncommon, based on what I've heard from some of my running friends. Others, it seems, spend a ton trying to find that "just right" model.
The issue with running gear is a problem might not show up immediately. That shirt you just got might be great for 5 miles, but one of the seams on the shoulders/chests starts sawing into your body like a garrote at mile 6. Probably the same in most hobbies.
Likes For seypat:
Old 03-20-23, 05:08 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
How could I forget? Shoes! Yes, a good pair will be $100-200. It's been almost 2 decades since I bowled regularly.

Granted that having your own shoes isn't as important as having your own ball. But if you're renting shoes weekly, cost adds up quickly and you may as well have your own shoes.
Likes For Lombard:
Old 03-21-23, 08:40 AM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
I don’t think I can be accused of being serious, but I have been running consistently for the last six months.

I also happen to have switched entirely to minimal shoes during that time. The interesting thing is that I can have a good run in any of my shoes. These days I mainly run in my Splay sneakers.

Also, minimal shoes only wear out by wearing through, since the shoe is basically a protective tread and you train your feet to do the work. Shoe cost is minimal, and you don’t run the risk of being serious.

Otto
Old 03-21-23, 09:02 AM
seypat

Originally Posted by ofajen
I don’t think I can be accused of being serious, but I have been running consistently for the last six months.

I also happen to have switched entirely to minimal shoes during that time. The interesting thing is that I can have a good run in any of my shoes. These days I mainly run in my Splay sneakers.

Also, minimal shoes only wear out by wearing through, since the shoe is basically a protective tread and you train your feet to do the work. Shoe cost is minimal, and you don’t run the risk of being serious.

Otto
The industry unfortunantely has swung the other way. Getting hard to find a simple low drop, low stack trainer that gives you some cushion and nothing else. The shoe industry has become like the bike industry. I only started running/endurance sports when I got plantar fasciitus and had to quit basketball/court sports. My feet had become weak from all those years of wearing highly structured court shoes. I got as close as I could to minimalist running shoes. Took about a month to get rid of the plantar. Getting rid of it was as painful as having it. The feet got stronger and it went away. Now the industry's producing all of these expensive, overengineered shoes that may make you run faster, but are not really good for the overall health of your feet. People will eat them up like hotcakes! Sound familar?
Old 03-21-23, 09:07 AM
seypat

Otto
Looking at your sig name, would you be in Norway/Sweden/Finland by chance? If so, are you familar with the Salming brand? What kind of reputation do they have? I might try some of those if I can find them in the USA.
Old 03-21-23, 09:12 AM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 223 Posts
Now the industry's producing all of these expensive, overengineered shoes that may make you run faster, but are not really good for the overall health of your feet. People will eat them up like hotcakes! Sound familar?
Familiar to what?
Old 03-21-23, 09:19 AM
seypat

Originally Posted by elcruxio
Familiar to what?
Familar to the bike industry. Now I've done it.
Old 03-21-23, 09:30 AM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Looking at your sig name, would you be in Norway/Sweden/Finland by chance? If so, are you familar with the Salming brand? What kind of reputation do they have? I might try some of those if I can find them in the USA.
No, I’m in the USA, and I’m not familiar with Salming. I do have “running” shoes and dress shoes from Tadeevo, which is a shop in Poland. They are both super flexible.

The Splay sneakers are more like wide Converse and nice if I’m going to hike or run on variable surfaces like grass, rocks, and pavement, while the Tadeevos are best on a relatively consistent surface like a track or pavement.

Otto
Old 03-21-23, 09:36 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Good timing, too. SRAM has announced their new drivetrain for MTB that changes the established format for rear derailleur mounting and are pushing it as the best thing ever...of course.
Old 03-21-23, 09:37 AM
seypat

No, I’m in the USA, and I’m not familiar with Salming. I do have “running” shoes and dress shoes from Tadeevo, which is a shop in Poland. They are both super flexible.

The Splay sneakers are more like wide Converse and nice if I’m going to hike or run on variable surfaces like grass, rocks, and pavement, while the Tadeevos are best on a relatively consistent surface like a track or pavement.

Otto
https://salming.com/en-eu/sports/running/shoes
Old 03-21-23, 09:41 AM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 223 Posts
So the bike industry is making expensive over engineered bikes which may be faster but aren't good for overall health...?

I don't follow.
Old 03-21-23, 09:50 AM
seypat

Originally Posted by elcruxio
So the bike industry is making expensive over engineered bikes which may be faster but aren't good for overall health...?

I don't follow.
That would certainly be the case for high end cycling shoes with their ultra stiff, carbon plated soles. Made strictly for cycling performance. Now you're seeing running shoes with the same. Carbon rocker/roller plates and other technology that guides your foot instead of letting it do it's job naturally.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.