Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Zipp Service Course SL Stem & Quadlock Handlebar/Stem Mount

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 04-01-21, 04:36 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1938 Post(s)
Liked 1,460 Times in 1,011 Posts

Does anyone have experience installing this Quadlock mount on the top of a Zipp Service Course SL stem?

Cycling - Handlebar/Stem Mount - Quad Lock® USA - Official Store (quadlockcase.com)

The bottom of this mount seems to be designed for a perfectly round stem. Would it mount flush onto a Zipp Service Course SL stem?

I just bought this stem and it seems to have a bigger stack height and a wider clamp width than my Cannondale C3 stem, so installing it would displace my Quadlock Out Front Mount Pro.

I don't know why this stem is so huge. It must be built for Donkey Kong (in Mario Kart 8).
Old 04-01-21, 04:47 PM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
Does anyone have experience installing this Quadlock mount on the top of a Zipp Service Course SL stem?

Cycling - Handlebar/Stem Mount - Quad Lock® USA - Official Store (quadlockcase.com)

The bottom of this mount seems to be designed for a perfectly round stem. Would it mount flush onto a Zipp Service Course SL stem?

I just bought this stem and it seems to have a bigger stack height and a wider clamp width than my Cannondale C3 stem, so installing it would displace my Quadlock Out Front Mount Pro.

I don't know why this stem is so huge. It must be built for Donkey Kong (in Mario Kart 8).
I have a Pro Sprint Mark Cavendish. That thing is huge.
Old 04-01-21, 04:53 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Originally Posted by colnago62
I have a Pro Sprint Mark Cavendish. That thing is huge.
I have too little power and upper body strength to pull off using a stem/bar combo that looks like a hammerhead shark. Or any component with either "Pro" or "Sprint" in its name.
Old 04-01-21, 05:39 PM
Princess_Allez

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 40 Posts
I have too little power and upper body strength to pull off using a stem/bar combo that looks like a hammerhead shark. Or any component with either "Pro" or "Sprint" in its name.
I hope you're kidding. I never understood why people avoid using certain products because they fear looking like a poser. If you like it, use it. I had a Zipp Sprint SL stem on my bike because I liked the way it looked. I mean, I can sprint pretty quickly, but that's besides the point. Use what makes you happy and don't worry about what other people might think.
Old 04-01-21, 05:42 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Originally Posted by Princess_Allez
I hope you're kidding. I never understood why people avoid using certain products because they fear looking like a poser. If you like it, use it. I had a Zipp Sprint SL stem on my bike because I liked the way it looked. I mean, I can sprint pretty quickly, but that's besides the point. Use what makes you happy and don't worry about what other people might think.
I was kidding. The main problem with installing this stem is that it has a wider clamp width and would displace my Quadlock Out Front Pro Mount.
Old 04-01-21, 05:58 PM
Princess_Allez

I was kidding. The main problem with installing this stem is that it has a wider clamp width and would displace my Quadlock Out Front Pro Mount.
I also ran into this issue. My K-edge out-front mount is standard length. The Zipp faceplate protruded a tad more and clamped with a wider footprint. There may have been 1mm between the faceplate and my Garmin. It felt like the garmin was just barely making contact with the faceplate whenever I would dismount it. If you look at the shape of the garmin, they had this in mind when designing it.
Old 04-01-21, 06:03 PM
colnago62

Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
😂😂😂 I know what you mean. I was looking for a carbon stem and it was on sale for $125.00. That’s why I bought it.
Likes For colnago62:
Old 04-01-21, 06:09 PM
Princess_Allez

Originally Posted by colnago62
😂😂😂 I know what you mean. I was looking for a carbon stem and it was on sale for $125.00. That’s why I bought it.
That's a heck of a deal for a carbon stem! I paid more for mine, on ebay.
Old 04-01-21, 06:18 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

In the mean time, I have ordered a Deda Elementi Zero 100 stem.
Old 04-01-21, 07:11 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Originally Posted by Princess_Allez
I also ran into this issue. My K-edge out-front mount is standard length. The Zipp faceplate protruded a tad more and clamped with a wider footprint. There may have been 1mm between the faceplate and my Garmin. It felt like the garmin was just barely making contact with the faceplate whenever I would dismount it. If you look at the shape of the garmin, they had this in mind when designing it.
My problem is different. The round section at the center of my handlebars (Zipp Contour SL Short & Shallow) does not have enough width to accommodate both the wider clamp width of the Zipp Service Course SL stem and the full width of the handlebar clamp of my Quadlock phone mount. It is barely wide enough for the stock Cannondale C3 stem and the phone mount.
Old 04-02-21, 07:20 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
The zipp stems work great, but I wouldn't strap something that big and ugly onto mine and then add a 200 gram phone to it. I like my tiny cateye computer with speed, cadence and heart rate.
Old 04-02-21, 11:53 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Originally Posted by DaveSSS
The zipp stems work great, but I wouldn't strap something that big and ugly onto mine and then add a 200 gram phone to it. I like my tiny cateye computer with speed, cadence and heart rate.
Yes, that is certainly an inelegant solution, but I am not going to bike without my phone. I wish my phone was only 200g; my iPhone 8+ was 202g, and my new iPhone 12 Pro Max is 228g!
Old 05-27-21, 11:38 AM
SoCalTexan

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey guys, I'm currently building up my wife's tarmac. Adding Specialized aero bars and a Zipp stem (to match the wheels of course). Thinking about an SL Speed 90mm with the Quickview out front mount for here Iphone. What's the best attachment to get the phone on the mount? TIA.
Old 05-27-21, 03:12 PM
oris
I like speed

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix Hi Mod, Specialized Allez Sprint, Bottecchia Emme 4 SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 121 Times in 61 Posts
I don't think you'd have an issue putting the Quadlock on there. I use the same stem and don't think the profile will be an issue.

It sounds like you're using your phone as a cycling computer? Maybe use this as an excuse to put an out front mount and new comp then stick the phone in your pocket.
Old 05-27-21, 06:09 PM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1523 Post(s)
Liked 716 Times in 508 Posts
I put a cheap Aeronova knock-off on my bike and the front end got ridiculously flexy. Swapped out the Kalloy Uno for one of these Zipp stems, and it was perfect.

You might want flexy bars, but a flexy stem is mucho sucko.