Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

sun burn, vitamin D, biking

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 04-15-21, 06:09 AM
gios

Bikes: 2021 Litespeed T5 105, 1990 Gios Compact Pro 105

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 182 Posts

I try to get my rides in before 10:00am and 4:00pm to prevent sun burn, but I still got a patch of itchy skin near where my neck & shoulder meet (left side) - more of a pre-burn. I'll try wearing a buff headwear to cover up the neck more. I used to burn behind the neck (red neck) until I started wearing a handkerchief flapped behind my helmet tucked under a skull cap type deal. Sort of like the French Foreign Legion caps.

This video talks about age and the ability to absorb vitamin D...

around 13:28:vitamin D and aging.. ability for your skin to produce D3 drops two fold when in your 70s / 80s

Old 04-16-21, 09:15 AM
2ering

Bikes: 1974 Gitane Tour de France, 2003 Trek Madone 5.9, 2007 Co-Motion Americano, 2017 Co-Motion Divide

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 13 Posts
It's a tough act trying to balance Vitamin D/sun exposure while minimizing skin cancer concerns. I'm 71 and two weeks ago I had some blood tests which showed my Vit D level was less than half of normal levels so I am on a 16 week regimen to boost it. The same week I saw my dermatologist and he had to burn off some actinic keratoses on my face, so there's just no winning.
Likes For 2ering:
Old 04-16-21, 02:11 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
After my thyroid cancer and failure I had to take large doses of D and calcium to compensate for dangerously low levels and osteopenia. Took awhile for me to cooperate with recommendations from my primary and endocrinologist, but when the pandemic hit, along with reports of connections to our immune system, I finally took the full doses rather than just the small amounts in multivitamins. It finally got my levels within low normal range.

Interestingly, as I've gotten older I sunburn less. I used to burn after only 15 minutes in sun. Now I barely tan after an hour or so in full midday sun. And I stopped using sunscreen a couple of years ago, just as an experiment. Works for me so I no longer worry about it. There are studies that cast some doubt on the presumed connections between sun and skin cancer, and whether sunscreen protects from skin cancer in the first place.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 04-16-21, 05:21 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6173 Post(s)
Liked 4,790 Times in 3,305 Posts
I use sunsleeves. Some are much better than others. Even on very hot days they are comfortable for me if I can stay fast. I avoid routes that have hills that slow me down to 10 maybe 12 mph. They get hot quick the slower you go if temps are much over 90°F

I've seen more and more using a scarf, towel or handkerchief as you did. I'll probably be doing that too. My neck is one of the last places I have remaining that I slather sunscreen on. I'd be most happy if the scarf will let me not have to spend that time with the sunscreen and washing hands getting ready for a ride. My legs don't seem to get much sun. I'd think it'd reflect off the pavement, but must not. I just get a little sun on that part between my knee and shorts.

I have always used a SweatVac under my helmet. When you don't have much hair on your head, the sun leaves a strange looking pattern on a scalp <grin>
Likes For Iride01:
Old 04-16-21, 08:53 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2561 Post(s)
Liked 5,594 Times in 2,903 Posts
I really like Trader Joe’s spray-on sunscreen which is top rated by Consumer Reports. I spray it on my balding noggin, neck, arms and legs. It is almost ridiculously easy to put on. Then I use Neutrogena SPF 50 in a bottle my face. Haven’t had a burn in decades. I live in shorts in the summer and spend most of my daylight hours outdoors gardening, hiking and cycling, so I am good for vitamin D until my numbers tell me otherwise

Likes For rsbob:
Old 04-16-21, 09:23 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 892 Post(s)
Liked 2,049 Times in 1,072 Posts
I have a sliver of scar tissue on my neck, from a day on the bike. I was living in west Texas at the time, and i missed a bit of skin with the sunscreen.

Now I live in the PNW, and take a daily vitamin D due to the scarcity of sun. Doctor's advice. I argued i got enough vitamin D in Texas to last a lifetime, but she's not buying it.

I'm not as diligent about sunscreen or sun sleeves living here, but on an all day ride on a sunny day, it's one or the other. On a multi day brevet, sun sleeves are great because they double as warmers at night.
​​​​​​
Likes For downtube42:
Old 04-17-21, 07:03 PM
scottfsmith
I like bike

Bikes: Roubaix Comp 2020

Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 191 Posts
Heliocare is a pill you can take to lessen the effects of the sun. My wife’s dermatologist recommended it. So far my impression is that it does appear to work.. so I am taking them before a long exposure. It doesn’t replace other protection but when you add it on top of the other things you get a better overall outcome.
Likes For scottfsmith:
Old 04-18-21, 12:14 AM
Jumpski

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito CV disk, and rim brake

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 60 Posts
I live in a tropical climate, so I limit the sun exposure. My rides are normally over by @1000AM. I am rewarded with an incredible sunrise daily - take care!
Likes For Jumpski:
Old 04-28-21, 06:16 AM
toyotus

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Does taking Vit D supplements helps?
Old 04-28-21, 08:32 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6173 Post(s)
Liked 4,790 Times in 3,305 Posts
Originally Posted by toyotus
Does taking Vit D supplements helps?
Helps with what? It's not a miracle pill.

Don't know that science can tell us definitively about using supplements. I do take a D3 along with vitamin C. Particularly during the winter. Too much vitamin D3 supplement can be bad though. It's one of those vitamins supplements that too much is worse than too little.